Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-29-2012, 01:27 PM   #46
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
IF YOU GO ON VACATION FOR A WEEK TO A LOVELY SCENIC VISTA AND DON'T SPEND THE **ENTIRE TIME** GAZING AT THE SCENERY, PREFERABLY WHILE WEARING VICTORIAN-ERA CLOTHES, YOU ARE A BAD PERSON.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I've seen the scenery enough to not have to spend every waking moment looking.
No no, you're both missing the point, and the glorious cosmic significance of this: you're only a bad person if you spend more time watching video than the Fire can hold! The absence of an SD slot actually helps you be a good person!

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:42 PM   #47
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
An expansion slot also allows one tablet to be used by several individuals. Just swap cards and tailored content is ready to go.
I do this for the Nook Color and CM7/9 so it's not just content that's tailored to an individual or usage. It's really awesome being able to run the OS from microSD card.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:12 PM   #48
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
large market shares that require one
now yes but be shrinking -- like floppy disks and dotmatrix printers.
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:56 PM   #49
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Absolutely gorgeous! Two of my favorite parks are Fort Stevens (190 miles from Seattle) located at the mouth of the Columbia River and Cape Lookout located 75 miles further south. I like staying in yurts; which are perfect for year round "camping". Hikes along the beach and in the forests are great activities; while sitting on the beach watching the sunset is a fantastic way to end the day.
Thanks for the links. Beautiful. When the kids were younger, we used to go camping. Started out with a pop up and then got a HiLo.

Would love to get to Seattle some day. Want to visit Pike's Market. LOL

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:20 PM   #50
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaBurrell View Post
That is what Steve made you believe --- but that is not the reality. A lot of users have been made to do without it, that doesn't mean that they wouldn't be better off with it. Just because a lot of Apple users have decided that they would rather have an Apple device without an expansion slot doesn't mean that all of them wouldn't need or want one. If that was the case, they wouldn't have sold millions upon millions of those adapters! And look at the stylus, it is coming back. 5 Million people said they want one. And they haven't killed the removable battery.

Someday the SD cards will be replaced by some other form of removable media, just like the floppy. But it won't be replaced by nothing.

And dotmatrix printers are doing fine in the business world, by the way. There is still no other way to print several copies at once.

Last edited by HansTWN; 03-29-2012 at 07:23 PM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:50 PM   #51
GeckoFriend
Guru
GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad Mini4, Kindle Voyage
Speaking of expansion slots (and totally exposing my computer inexperience), my Dell laptop has (quoted from manual):

ExpressCard slot – Supports one
34 mm wide ExpressCard for enabling
additional hardware capabilities.

What would/could I use this for if I wanted to?

The laptop also has a 7-in-1 media card reader, and I do understand how to use that (not that I ever have).
GeckoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:13 PM   #52
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoFriend View Post
Speaking of expansion slots (and totally exposing my computer inexperience), my Dell laptop has (quoted from manual):

ExpressCard slot – Supports one
34 mm wide ExpressCard for enabling
additional hardware capabilities.

What would/could I use this for if I wanted to?

The laptop also has a 7-in-1 media card reader, and I do understand how to use that (not that I ever have).
You could, for example add additional ports to your laptop (USB 3.0, etc), add a modem, add a Gigabit ethernet connection card, a better sound card, the possiblities are almost endless.

A great example of how an expansion slot can help you to upgrade your equipment as new technologies become available, above and beyond what you could do with the device when you bought it. Obviously, that is a good thing for users, not for the makers of the original device you bought. They want you to upgrade, to buy the new model with the incremental improvements. It is kind of sad that many users here tend to so vehemently argue that getting less for more money is a good thing (just because they personally don't think they need that particular function at that particular time). This clearly demonstrates the power of marketing.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:15 PM   #53
GeckoFriend
Guru
GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
You could, for example add additional ports to your laptop (USB 3.0, etc), add a modem, add a Gigabit ethernet connection card, a better sound card, the possiblities are almost endless..

Could I add a better video card? That's the only thing I can think of that would be useful to me. (But now that I have a better idea of the purpose I'll think some more.)
Old 03-29-2012, 08:20 PM   #54
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
I would prefer blue tooth and a sealed device to a card slot.
Sealed... YES! No ports whatsoever... bluetooth/wifi for accessories and data transfer, inductive charging, and an impact resistant 100% sealed and waterproof outer coating... that'd be a nice tablet!
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:04 PM   #55
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoFriend View Post
Could I add a better video card? That's the only thing I can think of that would be useful to me. (But now that I have a better idea of the purpose I'll think some more.)
Go to Amazon and search for Express 34mm card, then you will get a good idea of what is available. Not sure this is fast enough for a video card.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:06 PM   #56
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Sealed... YES! No ports whatsoever... bluetooth/wifi for accessories and data transfer, inductive charging, and an impact resistant 100% sealed and waterproof outer coating... that'd be a nice tablet!
I think Panasonic makes one, obviously you have to pay through your nose to get buy it.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:09 PM   #57
GeckoFriend
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Go to Amazon and search for Express 34mm card, then you will get a good idea of what is available. Not sure this is fast enough for a video card.
Thanks for the info; I'll check that out just to see what the possibilities are.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:13 PM   #58
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
No no, you're both missing the point, and the glorious cosmic significance of this: you're only a bad person if you spend more time watching video than the Fire can hold! The absence of an SD slot actually helps you be a good person!

ApK
IT'S ALL SO CLEAR NOW!!

WHY AM I YELLING?

anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:15 PM   #59
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaBurrell View Post
I'm not the only one who read this "dominatrix printers", am I? I swear, all this Smashwords/Paypal erotic controversy has ruined my innocence.

Honestly, anyone who thinks THE FUTURE is one of less storage space needed, they, um, haven't been paying much attention.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:40 PM   #60
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Absolutely gorgeous! Two of my favorite parks are Fort Stevens (190 miles from Seattle) located at the mouth of the Columbia River and Cape Lookout located 75 miles further south. I like staying in yurts; which are perfect for year round "camping". Hikes along the beach and in the forests are great activities; while sitting on the beach watching the sunset is a fantastic way to end the day.
So, you live in Oregon? hmmm... interesting... I love that state, but no human power will convince my wife to move there. She "hates" peaceful and non-city places.... lol ...
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote