Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-21-2008, 09:43 AM   #1
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
WIFI on a PRS 505

Does anyone know if it is possible that with the proper firmware release a PRS 505 could recognize and use a SD WIFI Card. Or is it impossible with the current hardware? Maybe Sony will just include it in the next model. But the WIFI SD card was geared toward PDA'S produced without the capability. It was just a matter of updating the systems firmware to enable the use as well as software to take advantage of it.

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 10:16 AM   #2
edembowski
Zealot
edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Nook Color, iPad
The 505 firmware won't recognize the wifi card. Even if it did, there's nothing in the app to take advantage of it.

- Ed
edembowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2008, 12:32 PM   #3
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
The firmware (a linux kernel+userspace apps) could certainly be updated to include support for SDIO wifi. But the 505's SD slot would have to support the serial peripheral interface bus or SPI in order for this to work. Like SDHC, I don't think this is a given with all SD slots.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 09:32 PM   #4
DaveNB
Connoisseur
DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770 (FBReader)
The EyeFi is close but not quite what we need...

I was hoping that something like the EyeFi wifi would work on the Sony Reader:
http://www.eye.fi/overview/

It's a SD Flash memory card with built in 802.11 WiFi capabilities. It's actually designed to work with digital cameras. Unfortunately, it only seems to send data from the Eye Fi card to a computer running their software on the network or to a designated photo sharing web site. It does NOT (as of yet) allow wireless uploading of files TO the SD card.

Too bad, as that would be pretty cool to be able to send books to your Sony Reader without having to hook up a USB cable. All without having to have the Sony Reader itself being WiFi capable. Still, even if this worked, it would not allow for Web browsing or checking e-mail (at least not directly).

Maybe one day they'll add the capability to do this or someone will figure out a hack to enable this capability. Though, somehow I don't think this can happen without some integration/two way communication to the device holding the SD card (ie. the card would have to tell the Camera/Reader that new files had been added and to update it's directory data and in the process, the card may or may have to be unmounted while being written to and re-mounted again after files have uploaded into the card).

Dave
DaveNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 09:54 PM   #5
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
The R5C807 Ricoh controller used in 505 does support SDIO. However, there are no public datasheets or sources available for it.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2008, 11:11 PM   #6
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
The R5C807 Ricoh controller used in 505 does support SDIO. However, there are no public datasheets or sources available for it.
Well, that's excellent news! Does the controller also support SDHC?
Old 06-22-2008, 02:30 AM   #7
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

I was just really wondering it was a hardware or firmware/software limitation, As for web browsing or email I just want to read a book I have too many other toys for all the other stuff. Plus it kind of gives you an idea on where the device is headed, If they do come out with a firmware update to enable WIFI that tells me the 505 will be around a bit longer before a new model comes out or God forbid they drop the line altogether.

JJ
Old 06-22-2008, 04:28 AM   #8
spooky69
Stats:
spooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505
I bet you could do it.
spooky69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:33 AM   #9
edembowski
Zealot
edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Nook Color, iPad
Even if the kernel were recompiled to support the wifi card, there is no application support for the wifi card. A new set of applications would need to be written for the reader to support this. It's not impossible, just unlikely.

- Ed
edembowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 12:07 PM   #10
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
would be nice to send books to my 505 via wireless
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 04:10 PM   #11
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
would be nice to send books to my 505 via wireless
Personally, I don't mind hooking mine up to a usb cable once every week or 2. Especially because I'm recharging it anyway. And there's easily 3-4 months of leisure reading on it, even without a memory card. Don't need wifi. At all.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 04:15 PM   #12
JeffElkins
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
Personally, I don't mind hooking mine up to a usb cable once every week or 2. Especially because I'm recharging it anyway. And there's easily 3-4 months of leisure reading on it, even without a memory card. Don't need wifi. At all.
Currently, I don't even bother with an SD card. W/o folder support, I don't see a need. However, I hate to see hardware underutilized...if the 505 is SDIO/SDHC capable, for goodness sakes, create software that lives up to the device.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:45 PM   #13
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
Currently, I don't even bother with an SD card. W/o folder support, I don't see a need. However, I hate to see hardware underutilized...if the 505 is SDIO/SDHC capable, for goodness sakes, create software that lives up to the device.
I totally agree, If the Sony had WIFI then in my opinion it would be on a level playing field with the kindle, I really am not interested in web surfing and emails on it but maybe direct buying of books, or if the Sony store got a book in that fits what you like it could pop a sample on to your reader and have it waiting on you when you turn it on.

JJ
Old 06-23-2008, 02:52 PM   #14
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
Well, that's excellent news! Does the controller also support SDHC?
Yes, from what I can gather.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:18 PM   #15
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Even if I didn't buy books over the wifi, it would be nice to sync up to calibre via wifi.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote