Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-03-2013, 04:13 PM   #31
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I would recommend the Kindle Touch. You can buy it refurbished as of 2 minutes ago on ebay for $65 and free shipping. NOTE: This is the version with 3G. Anywhere in U.S. and many other places, you can use the Kindle Store and download bought content with Amazon's free 3G. The version without 3G is $53.

It is very stable (with a minimalist interface that I consider a plus) and allows the use of a rudimentary web browser that can download free ebooks from online sources, like Project Gutenberg. The latest software update created parental controls to lock the browser, Kindle Store, or Kindle Cloud at will if that is a problem, which it shouldn't be -- there is no flash for watching movies.

The ads are very unobtrusive, appearing only as a screensaver in sleep mode, plus a small banner on the home screen.

Amazon in my experience tends to have better customer service, in case anything happens with your Kindle or your account.

It is fairly robust, but for $15 you can always get a case for added protection.

If you check ebooks out from the public library via {libraryname}.OverDrive.com, then nearly all books are available for Kindle, and you can have them added to your Amazon account as a loaned book, giving you the same usage as if you bought it until the loan expires, and allowing you to download the book from your Kindle through wifi. This is much smoother than installing Adobe Digital Editions to transfer a book manually to the Nook or Kobo.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:09 PM   #32
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...

Last edited by Cdesja5; 05-03-2013 at 06:19 PM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2013, 06:20 PM   #33
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystika1 View Post
I keep holding out hoping that they will release a limited edition Glo Mini. That would be a dream come true. :-)
Ditto! I like the small form-factor: I can fit it in my bags or coat pocket. Would be a first to have a small light-up ereader and I'm pretty sure there's SOME market for it.
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:34 AM   #34
guitarizt
Connoisseur
guitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-T1; PW1; H2O
I'd at check out craigslist as well. You can get a kindle touch here for $40. There's always pawn shops too, but that is probably too time consuming unless you like going there anyways.
guitarizt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:52 AM   #35
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
I'd also put a vote in for the Kobo Mini - however the Kobo Touch is on offer for $99.99 in the US, see here
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert