Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-30-2014, 08:35 AM   #1
adityadubey
Addict
adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Voyage
Question Sci-Fi magazines

Hey everyone,

Was browsing through the sci-fi offerings on Apple's Newsstand and came across Asimov's and Analog. Was wondering if there are any other science fiction magazines out there which are available electronically? Any recommendations?
adityadubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:55 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
How "hard" and engineering-focused do you like your SF? Analog etc are generally considered the flagship of that type of SF. I like my SF a bit (or a lot) more diverse than that, so maybe take that into account.

Clarkesworld and Lightspeed are great. I have also supported (but not yet read) Uncanny and Crossed Genres. Check out Strange Horizons, Apex and Tor too.

http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/

http://www.lightspeedmagazine.com/

http://uncannymag.com/

http://crossedgenres.com/
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:04 AM   #3
adityadubey
Addict
adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Voyage
Thanks for all the suggestions! I quite enjoy hard SF, although like you said I also like diversity (although not really a fan of military sci-fi generally). The links look promising. What's your preferred reading app / device / platform though?
adityadubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:38 AM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by adityadubey View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions! I quite enjoy hard SF, although like you said I also like diversity (although not really a fan of military sci-fi generally). The links look promising. What's your preferred reading app / device / platform though?
I read text stuff on my Aura; colourful/graphic stuff on my iPad Mini Retina. The magazines I linked all come in epub (and other formats).

Last edited by meeera; 08-30-2014 at 09:41 AM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 01:23 PM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
More Sci-Fi magazines
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:11 PM   #6
Neil Clarke
Neil Clarke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil Clarke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil Clarke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil Clarke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil Clarke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil Clarke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil Clarke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil Clarke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil Clarke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil Clarke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil Clarke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
You can find a bunch of genre magazines at Weightless Books. They've become something of the go-to place for magazines to offer subscriptions since Amazon and B&N aren't exactly reaching out with open arms anymore.
Neil Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:25 PM   #7
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
More Sci-Fi magazines
I had a subscription with F&SF back in the Fictionwise days which could be read on just about any device (DRM free), but they cancelled it when they went to a Kindle only format. When they switched, you could only read it on a physical Kindle, but I see that they eventually opened it up to IOS and Android Kindle apps. It's still not available for the Kindle PC application or at any ePub retailer, if that's important to you.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:56 AM   #8
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
I had a subscription with F&SF back in the Fictionwise days which could be read on just about any device (DRM free), but they cancelled it when they went to a Kindle only format. When they switched, you could only read it on a physical Kindle, but I see that they eventually opened it up to IOS and Android Kindle apps. It's still not available for the Kindle PC application or at any ePub retailer, if that's important to you.
Yeah, so did I. I moved to Amazon when Fictionwise stopped selling subscriptions. It is available at B&N, if you're in the US. They claim it's available through Google Play as well, but I can only find the Magzter app there.

All in all, if you want a DRM-strippable Analog outside the US, looks like you need a physical Kindle (I stll have my DXG, luckily).
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:11 AM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I currently have subs at Amazon to Analog, Asimov's and F&SF. I also have a Lightspeed Magazine sub direct from the publisher, and I get the Grantville Gazette bundles from Baen.

I just wish that Analog, Asimov's and F&SF offered direct DRM-free ebook subscriptions. But they don't.

If you're in the US, B&N occasionally offer 2-for-1 subscription deals on Analog with Asimov's.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:29 AM   #10
FacebookVirus
Hybrid reader
FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2; Sony PRS-350
You may also enjoy Interzone, which is published by TTA Press in the UK. Looks like it's available on iTunes.

SF writers who started through Interzone include Stephen Baxter, Greg Egan, Kim Newman, Alastair Reynolds and Charles Stross.
FacebookVirus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asimov's, electronic books, magazines, recommendations, science fiction