Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-01-2013, 10:10 PM   #61
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
http://www.lemodesittjr.com/category/what-im-writing/
Next book, Cyador’s Heirs, is being released May of 2014. The one after that, Heritage of Cyador , is due out late 2014.
Apache

I am waiting impatiently.

Also well worth mentioning is another big event. The 2nd in the new Hobbit Series is due in less than 2 weeks at the theater.

"Desolation of Smaug"
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:16 AM   #62
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I've been wanting to try some more Modesitt since reading Gravity Dreams last year, and this thread put me over the edge to grab Magic of Recluce with narration on Amazon. I've looked at it a few times, but prices in the series have been all over the place, sometimes over $12 for the ebooks alone. Right now they seem a little more even on Amazon, $6-8 for each book and Add Narration available on most of them for $3.49.

I have several audiobooks lined up right now, so it will probably be a while before I have more to add to this thread I'm finishing up book two of Gentlemen Bastards, then I want to get in the middle two from Codex Alera, then Steelheart, then the last two from Codex Alera. I can probably pick up Recluce after those.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 04:17 PM   #63
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Cyador's Heirs is due to be released tomorrow.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:09 AM   #64
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I finally got to Magic of Recluce last month, and it was great. Some of you following the series may have forgotten, but what a solid standalone fantasy book. I'm planning on grabbing a hard copy for my 13-year-old nephew.

I tried to sail straight into book two, but stalled and jumped to another series. I'm giving it another go now and making better headway, but it's reassuring to hear people say it was the low point of the series. Where the first book was perfect as an audiobook--easy to follow but engaging throughout--I found I had to put in some time reading text for Towers of Sunset before I got a good grasp on the characters and situation.

I suspect I'll keep returning to the series, but I'm not expecting to tear through them one after the other.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:37 AM   #65
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
I finally got to Magic of Recluce last month, and it was great. Some of you following the series may have forgotten, but what a solid standalone fantasy book.
I completely agree on that. I have read about 3/4 of the other works but I haven't been drawn in as much as with the first.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:42 AM   #66
morningstar79
morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Cyador's Heirs is due to be released tomorrow.
Apache
So exciting! I just started MageGuard of Humor so it looks as though I will be ready for Cyador's Heirs when it is released in paperback (which is my husband's preference)! The chronology has yet to be updated to see exactly where the new addition fits into the timeline (I have been dying for that piece of info for the sake of speculating on where the new character belongs fits in). Looking forward to any reviews, teasers, or spoilers any of you reading it now may want to provide. Okay, okay, no spoilers please, teasers will suffice LOL!
morningstar79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:47 AM   #67
morningstar79
morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Taosaur: so glad to hear yo enjoyed the Magic of Recluce! I can't wait for your thoughts on books a little further along in the series!
morningstar79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 01:55 PM   #68
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Im about halfway thru the first book (2nd try) and I'm enjoying it, the worldbuilding is very cool and the magic system is quite interesting. But I'm frustrated with how dumb Lerris is. Seriously, I'm understanding more and making more leaps of logic from what the characters say and he keeps denying everything in his mind. Hopefully he starts to "get it" soon.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 02:58 PM   #69
taosaur
intelligent posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrilson View Post
But I'm frustrated with how dumb Lerris is.
Perhaps I'm suffering from early-onset curmudgeonry, but I thought Lerris' teenaged obtuseness added realism

I finished up The Magic Engineer (book 3) last week. Towers of Sunset got much better toward the end. The Magic Engineer repeated the formula of the first book in many respects, following a gifted young exile who lived as a craftsman on the continent until the irrepressible evidence of his innate Order brought him to the center of world events. There's some point to the similarities, though, and the particulars are quite different--his chosen craft takes the story in a quite different direction. Also, the protagonist isn't quite as dumb as Lerris (or, arguably, Creslin in book 2)
Old 08-17-2014, 04:59 PM   #70
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Towers of Sunset was my least favorite Recluce Book.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 05:20 PM   #71
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Perhaps I'm suffering from early-onset curmudgeonry, but I thought Lerris' teenaged obtuseness added realism
Well, there are some writers who seem to delight in writing stupid characters that need to have *everything* explained. David Eddings sometimes does that, making characters ask questions that are so damned obvious that I can only think: "A real person could not be THAT stupid." In the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Arthur Dent, written to be a somewhat less intelligent character, also does it on occasion. The author himself seems to parody this, saying somewhere in one of the books that it looks like as if Arthur Dent's only purpose in the universe is to say "What?" every now and then.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:41 PM   #72
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

I finished up The Magic Engineer (book 3) last week. Towers of Sunset got much better toward the end. The Magic Engineer repeated the formula of the first book in many respects, following a gifted young exile who lived as a craftsman on the continent until the irrepressible evidence of his innate Order brought him to the center of world events. There's some point to the similarities, though, and the particulars are quite different--his chosen craft takes the story in a quite different direction. Also, the protagonist isn't quite as dumb as Lerris (or, arguably, Creslin in book 2)
I'm further along in book 1, and Lerris has improved dramatically, so I'm enjoying it a lot more. This is a slow paced book, but I actually think it works well here, as the reader sees Lerris' development.

The brief interludes with Krystal and others are a little confusing for me at the moment. Perhaps those get clearer as the book moves along. The author's use of noises is a little odd, too. But I just kind of gloss over those at this point.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:29 PM   #73
taosaur
intelligent posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrilson View Post
The author's use of noises is a little odd, too. But I just kind of gloss over those at this point.
The sound effects are a bit excessive, in the first book especially. I mostly listened to it on audio, and the reader, Kirby Heybourne, deserves a medal for mostly making them sound natural in the narrative.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:28 PM   #74
kyrilson
Fanatic

I finished up Magic of Recluce a couple of days ago. I really, really enjoyed it. It was a little slow paced, but the character development, worldbuilding, and magic system made it very worth my while. Reading a thriller novel now as a palate cleanser (I tend to do this, switching genres between books to keep boredom at bay), and then will probably dive into The Towers of Sunset after that.