Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-01-2009, 06:34 AM   #1
Mrgauth
Addict
Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3
Anne Rice:which is her best?

I have heard quite a bit about her for years, but never read one. Tell me which is her best. Don't care if it's the third in a series, if it's her best it's her best. The only Rice I am familiar with is Rice-aroni.

Doubt I will read more than one, so, you Rice afficianados out there chime in and tell me which to read please.

Thanks.
Mrgauth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:32 AM   #2
Mrgauth
Addict
Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3
Oh, and I failed to mention; if she is not worth reading tell me that too.
Mrgauth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2009, 08:24 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
She's a very narcissistic and ego-centric person, and likes to throw verbal tantrum fits at her dwindling fan base - in my opiniion and in the opinion of quite a number of other people who now choose to ignore the Personality and concentrate on the Author. There is much to admire in her earlier works.

Critically, regarding her writing, I feel her best works are behind her. Her first three vampire novels are excellent, and I would suggest you read them in the order in which they appear, as listed below:

1) Interview with the Vampire
2) The Vampire Lestat
3) Queen of the Damned

So, to conclude: There seems to be this great Divide between the Author (Anne Rice) and the Person (Anne Rice).

The three novels listed above are great fun and important works in the genre of Horror.

Have fun!

ADDED: Her "Best," for me, is The Vampire Lestat.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 08:39 AM   #4
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Me, too, but I think it's also because Lestat is such fun character to read about. I also liked "Memnoch the Devil" - no. 5 in the vampire series.

There's also a non-vampire standalone; "Servant of the bones" that's quite good. I'd recommend either that, or "Lestat"
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 09:28 AM   #5
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
The first three vampire books are the only ones that are essential for Anne Rice. The rest are of varying quality and I've mostly quit reading her books.
The Witching Hour was good but the story is unresolved at the end and the sequels aren't all that great.

Memnoch was the least favorite of the books I've read.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2009, 09:58 AM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Her first one was great. The next two were really good....after that, like BenG, I read them, but 'meh'.

As for "if she's not worth reading, tell me that too"..........I wish you'd read at least the first one for yourself.......and make your own decision.

Lots and lots of people hated "The Stand", including SK himself.......but I've loved it to death!

You never know what treasures you'll find.......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:15 AM   #7
junkml
Addict
junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
I would go along with everyone else saying the original three vampire novels were good. I've read some of her other works, and a lot of the other vampire novels, and just didn't enjoy them as much.

I enjoyed Interview With The Vampire, but actually enjoyed The Vampire Lestat and Queen Of The Damned more.
junkml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 05:47 PM   #8
Billjr13
Addict
Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 700 & 650
My wife really liked "Christ the Lord Out Of Egypt". She thought it was a really intersting idea. I liked Interview and Lestat.
Billjr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:15 PM   #9
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
Quote:
Her first three vampire novels are excellent, and I would suggest you read them in the order in which they appear, as listed below:

2) The Vampire Lestat
3) Queen of the Damned
+1

If you have to pick only one, I liked Queen of the Damned the best. If you think you might like all of them, start with Interview. They're pretty quick reads, so there's not reason not to read them all.

I never thought I'd like this kind of work, but I really did.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:08 PM   #10
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I agree with the good Dr. Those first three made me read all the others. They are inconsistent and her style rubs me the wrong way if read too much at a time.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:36 PM   #11
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
I actually really enjoyed her Witching Hour book and the Curse of the Mummy? or Ramsey the Damned..
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:50 PM   #12
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
"Ramses the Damned" - or "The Mummy". Good fun IMHO, but the first witching hour book was 'bleh'.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 01:34 PM   #13
Laz116
Guru
Laz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Sony PRS-700
Quote:
She's a very narcissistic and ego-centric person, and likes to throw verbal tantrum fits at her dwindling fan base - in my opiniion and in the opinion of quite a number of other people who now choose to ignore the Personality and concentrate on the Author. There is much to admire in her earlier works.

Critically, regarding her writing, I feel her best works are behind her. Her first three vampire novels are excellent, and I would suggest you read them in the order in which they appear, as listed below:

2) The Vampire Lestat
3) Queen of the Damned

So, to conclude: There seems to be this great Divide between the Author (Anne Rice) and the Person (Anne Rice).

The three novels listed above are great fun and important works in the genre of Horror.

Have fun!

Don
Wholeheartedly agree. I stopped reading her, after putting down The Witching Hour half way through, because I was starting routing for the bad guy/spirit.
Laz116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 02:31 PM   #14
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
Having read all her books I think The Witching Hour was her best.

But what you need to decide is, do you like vampire fiction, witching fiction, biblical fiction, or erotica? Depending on which you pick will change the answers you get for 'her best' work.

I like The Witching Hour because unlike the vampire tales where I'm reasonably familiar with what a vampire is capable of, in The Witching Hour I was never able to assume what the menace in the novel was capable of doing until I read what she wrote. In the biblical fiction series (now on book 2 of 3) you knid of know how it comes out before you even start the story (still a good read in my opinion). And in The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty series, well, you'll either enjoy that stuff or you won't.
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:44 AM   #15
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:

2) The Vampire Lestat
3) Queen of the Damned
+1
Really really loved the books.

Body Thief is OK

Armand, Vittorio the Vampire, Pandora....are ....meh.
Didn't read anything else after I read Armand.

ah and Memnoch the Devil is an abomination.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote