Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

View Poll Results: Will e-readers make your library obsolete?
Yes, happily so. It's called progress. 178 60.14%
Yes, unfortunately. The trend is unavoidable. 23 7.77%
No, I'd always miss getting newsprint on my fingers. 95 32.09%
Voters: 296. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-17-2009, 03:01 PM   #61
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I've been trying to buy only ebooks since I got my reader. I've succeeded as far as fiction goes, but not non-fiction. I've also been writing to authors and publishers trying to persuade them to publish their books as ebooks - and had a range of responses from "nope, never" to "it's in our plans"

There are lots of reasons I won't be moving over to all eboooks for the forseeable future.

Not all the pbooks I have that I want to keep are available as ebooks, and right now I don't have any desire to scan and OCR them myself. Maybe when some of the larger ones finally fall apart (sadly, in the case of Against the Day, that's not going to take too long - that paperback is very badly bound), and replacing them with another pbook is problematic I'll change my mind.

Even if all my pbooks were available as ebooks, and usable as such, it would cost far too much to replace them all.

The current batch of readers are neither big enough nor rugged enough for me to be happy using at my workbench or whilst I'm cooking (I do read on my reader when I'm cooking, but it never gets as close to the stove or ingredients as the cookery books do...)

None of the current batch of readers are any use for books with full colour photography, of which I have more than few - from "coffee table" books to technique books)

Some books just don't work as ebooks for me - certainly not as things currently are, anyway. I have a few books that are best read by dipping in and out at random - trivia, quotations, that sort of thing.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 03:14 PM   #62
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Home libraries = irrational exuberance.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2009, 03:17 PM   #63
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
While I love the smell & touch of a new 1st ed., the reality is that we move around the country every few years, and now the movers are charging by weight. And my eyes are getting older, so I need to enlarge the print since glasses help but not enough (and just try walking around the room with a pair of 3.00+ hanging from your nose!). I have both Sony & Kindle, and don't have a pref. as neither one totally meets my needs.
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 03:23 PM   #64
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackVoid View Post
Home libraries = irrational exuberance.
Exuberance
Ex*u"ber*ance\, n. [L. exuberantia: cf. F. exub['e]rance.] The state of being exuberant; an overflowing quantity; a copious or excessive production or supply; superabundance; richness; as, an exuberance of joy, of fancy, or of foliage.

Syn: Abundance; superabundance; excess; plenty; copiousness; profusion; richness; overflow; overgrowth; rankness; wantonness. See Abundance.

so you are saying what...having a library is irrational..............what.?

Last edited by desertgrandma; 02-17-2009 at 03:25 PM.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 03:39 PM   #65
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
so you are saying what...having a library is irrational..............what.?
If it's irrational, I'm pleased to call myself irrational. (Does having books and books shelves in every room of the house count as having a "library"? We don't have one dedicated room of books, mainly because we don't have one room large enough...)
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2009, 03:57 PM   #66
Milarepa
Enthusiast
Milarepa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Milarepa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Milarepa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505
If something like this is irrational exuberance then sign me up!!

Milarepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:09 PM   #67
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
I use e-books as convenience. Papers books are still nice to have.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:10 PM   #68
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milarepa View Post

See, if you can look at something like this, and feel a tug at your heart, your heart is missing something...........
Old 02-17-2009, 04:13 PM   #69
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milarepa View Post
I do admit that is very beautiful. But, all that space would make an awesome home theater. A nice 12 foot screen... would be so fun to play XBox 360 on.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:13 PM   #70
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
I have the same problem Zelda has with pbooks. I take good care of them but the newer books seem to fall apart faster than the ones printed in the 80s and the longer the book...the more likely the pages will fall out even faster. (anyone else have the unabridged Stephen King's novel the Stand?) I do plan on keeping my hardcovers but my goal is to eventually replace my paper library with a digital one. I move too much and carting 2000 pbooks gets expensive and they take up a lot of space.

Another reason I cut down on buying dvds/music cds/and pbooks is because harddrives are cheaper than square feet in apartments/houses. So basically, in our household anything we can buy digitally that's what we do. it's really helped cut down on the clutter. (though I guess having 4 computers adds clutter too)
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:14 PM   #71
mcastell
mcastell began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, ebookwise reader, hiebook, nokia 770
Some of my favorite possessions are books, and when I put away my Sony reader at night, it rests on top of a row of tall art books on the bottom shelf of one of my library cases. My Ebookwise reader rests on top of a small pile of books on my end table in the bedroom, and my Nokia 810 tablet is usually on top of the most recent reading material I am carrying around during the day, and it travels with those papers and/or books.

I would never give up my signed copy of Jean Shepard's "In God We Trust--All Others Pay Cash." At the same time, I have several of the stories on my various e-readers along with MP3s of some of the old WOR Shepard radio broadcasts.
There's no pushing or shoving--all the formats get along nicely, as it should be. It's a world that would not be possible in a silent, backroom library.
mcastell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:15 PM   #72
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalthia View Post
I have the same problem Zelda has with pbooks. I take good care of them but the newer books seem to fall apart faster than the ones printed in the 80s and the longer the book...the more likely the pages will fall out even faster. (anyone else have the unabridged Stephen King's novel the Stand?) I do plan on keeping my hardcovers but my goal is to eventually replace my paper library with a digital one. I move too much and carting 2000 pbooks gets expensive and they take up a lot of space.

Another reason I cut down on buying dvds/music cds/and pbooks is because harddrives are cheaper than square feet in apartments/houses. So basically, in our household anything we can buy digitally that's what we do. it's really helped cut down on the clutter. (though I guess having 4 computers adds clutter too)

(jumping up and down with raised hands) I do I do i do!!!
Old 02-17-2009, 04:16 PM   #73
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I went online shopping for a nice duplexing scanner - found nothing like I want for under $400. Seems a bit pricey. Went to Fictionwise, bought the book I wanted to scan for $5.99 with my survey coupon discount. Didn't buy the scanner, because I can re-purchase and download the books I want to keep. This will possibly cause a stroke in the troll in the other thread who is freaking over paying $9.99, because I am double-buying books.

This coming weekend, everything on the shelves must go! Except for my travel books and art books. Those are forever.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:18 PM   #74
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I do admit that is very beautiful. But, all that space would make an awesome home theater. A nice 12 foot screen... would be so fun to play XBox 360 on.

BOb
I'd love a beautiful reading room but I don't need it filled with books.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:19 PM   #75
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
This will possibly cause a stroke in the troll in the other thread who is freaking over paying $9.99, because I am double-buying books.

Except for my travel books and art books. Those are forever.
I'm gonna tell................