Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 06-10-2008, 12:20 PM   #1
TedPark
Zealot
TedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Sony 505
More Detailed Documentation?

Anybody know of better documentation for PRS505? I'm not looking for source code or such details - just more complete operational documentation. Things I would like to know more about include:

What does "Loading..." mean and what is the reader doing.

What does "Formatting..." mean and what exactly is the reader doing.

Any hidden/obscure/undocumented functions?

Why types of things causes the reader to automatically reset and reboot?

What are the various XML files that it creates? And how are they used?

What exactly is the difference - in results? - in reader internals? - between using the windows interface to drag and drop LRF files in the memory cards vs. using the eBook Library software to do it?
TedPark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 03:03 PM   #2
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
I can't answer your specific questions, only give my anecdotal vague impressions:

1. When you copy a book to the SD card via the Windows File System, and then stick the card in the reader, the reader has to paginate it and "other things". What those are, I know not. But it takes longer than if you load the book via the horrid software and from there to the Reader and/or SD card.

2. The SD card usage drains the battery faster than reading from internal memory. So my approach of "everything on SD" has taken a 180, "everything on internal memory". My SD card purchased for the Reader goes unused except as a backup.

3. So my routine has become: use calibre to convert non-LRF books. Store all books on my PC and on an SD card. Import the books to eBook Library for formatting. Copy them to the Reader.

I'm thinking about dumping eBook Library altogether, and only using Calibre to manage my content. For now, I only use it as an occasional conversion tool.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2008, 03:37 PM   #3
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
I don't think such documentation exists, but you can find all of these answers on the forum.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:06 PM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
"Loading" is displayed when the Reader is checking for new/changed/deleted files on the card or main flash and updates the file cache. "Formatting..." is shown when a book doesn't have pagination info in the cache and Reader has to paginate it. Happens once on opening the book and once when you change the font size. If you use eBook Library software to copy books to the Reader, it will pre-paginate them and they won't have to be formatted when opened on the device.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote