Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #631
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Try a long press on the three bats at the right of a book in library view
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:59 AM   #632
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Just got the Kobo Aura from the new Japan release. First impressions: Wow, is it ever tiny compared to my Aura HD. I can't comment about build quality but from a purely style aspect the Aura absolutely blows the other readers out of the water. Unlike some people on these forums I'm pretty easy to please so overall I'm happy. I did notice the scratches in the top one inch but only when I had it angled toward the ground and under an incandescent style light (not actual incandescent - one of those yellowish LED lights). Under normal reading conditions and fluorescent lighting I couldn't see any scratches at all. I looked pretty carefully at the screen under 100% light but I wasn't able to see any specks or stuck pixels or anything like that. The switch at the top moves much more nicely than it does on my Aura HD. I put the HD and the Aura next to each other at 100% and the Aura does have a slightly yellower shade but it's almost indistinguishable to me. The back of the Aura is amazing. This is what the back of the HD should have been like. Both the back and front of the Aura seem to be very resistant to fingerprints which is another thing that really bothers me about my HD. When it comes to actual reading I can't comment yet as I haven't had much chance to try it out yet but I love the overall form factor. I liked the idea of the HD with the large screen and high resolution but I've found that while I theoretically like the idea of being able to read manga on my ereader I don't actually do it which negates the size and resolution advantage and it actually ends up being a negative for me when I read Epubs because the low resolution pictures and maps look so tiny on the screen.
One question I have is where in the heck is my pocket section? I've looked high and low and nowhere can I find how to log into pocket. Do I not have it because I bought a Japanese Aura? I am on software 3.1.0
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2013, 10:33 AM   #633
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I can access Pocket via the library button. My menu shows Books, Previews, My Collections and Articles from Pocket.

I can't remember how I originally logged in but in Settings under Accounts it shows my Pocket User ID. As far as I can see that's where you'd log in initially.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:51 AM   #634
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Canuck_in_Japan, what do you mean by the new Japan release?

Could you elaborate, please?

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:21 PM   #635
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What is the software version info from settings (including the build date data)? This will help us see if it's a new version or not
Advert
Old 12-07-2013, 08:15 PM   #636
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
One question I have is where in the heck is my pocket section? I've looked high and low and nowhere can I find how to log into pocket. Do I not have it because I bought a Japanese Aura? I am on software 3.1.0
As Josieb1 said, there should be an "Articles from Pocket" menu item on the "Library" menu on the home page. From memory, the first time you open that, it prompts you to log in. If it doesn't, as of 3.1.0, Kobo have put the different accounts you can use on the "Accounts" page in the settings.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:02 PM   #637
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've got nothing in the library section and nothing in the account section for Pocket. That is maddening. Surely it wasn't taken out for the Japanese version? I guess I should try reseting my device.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:04 PM   #638
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
What is the software version info from settings (including the build date data)? This will help us see if it's a new version or not
3.1.0 (3ea9de6bf5, 12/2/13)
Old 12-07-2013, 09:14 PM   #639
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
3.1.0 (3ea9de6bf5, 12/2/13)
Interesting.. Either a different build for Japan or a slipstreamed upgrade. I'm on 3.1.0 d1b2f00933 11/29/13
Old 12-08-2013, 04:32 AM   #640
Antioch
Connoisseur
Antioch began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STR, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Guess I'm glad I held off on preordering from Rakuten...

Perhaps you can try to manually update the firmware to the next global release whenever it comes out?

How is the text rendering? Crisp or blurry?

Last edited by Antioch; 12-08-2013 at 04:35 AM.
Antioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 04:44 AM   #641
Antioch
Connoisseur

General question: I've seen some pictures of the Aura displaying a book without the title in the upper margin, and others with the title in the margin. Is there a setting for this?

(I'm fine with the page number in the bottom)
Old 12-08-2013, 10:55 AM   #642
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
General question: I've seen some pictures of the Aura displaying a book without the title in the upper margin, and others with the title in the margin. Is there a setting for this?

(I'm fine with the page number in the bottom)
A kepub (Kobo formatting) will have the title whereas a regular epub won't. Most books from Kobo are available in both formats.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:28 AM   #643
Antioch
Connoisseur

Is there a setting to disable it for kepubs?
Old 12-09-2013, 07:50 AM   #644
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
No there isn't.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:54 AM   #645
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Just got the Kobo Aura from the new Japan release. First impressions: Wow, is it ever tiny compared to my Aura HD. I can't comment about build quality but from a purely style aspect the Aura absolutely blows the other readers out of the water. Unlike some people on these forums I'm pretty easy to please so overall I'm happy. I did notice the scratches in the top one inch but only when I had it angled toward the ground and under an incandescent style light (not actual incandescent - one of those yellowish LED lights). Under normal reading conditions and fluorescent lighting I couldn't see any scratches at all. I looked pretty carefully at the screen under 100% light but I wasn't able to see any specks or stuck pixels or anything like that. The switch at the top moves much more nicely than it does on my Aura HD. I put the HD and the Aura next to each other at 100% and the Aura does have a slightly yellower shade but it's almost indistinguishable to me. The back of the Aura is amazing. This is what the back of the HD should have been like. Both the back and front of the Aura seem to be very resistant to fingerprints which is another thing that really bothers me about my HD. When it comes to actual reading I can't comment yet as I haven't had much chance to try it out yet but I love the overall form factor.
You summed up my thoughts

Quote:
I liked the idea of the HD with the large screen and high resolution but I've found that while I theoretically like the idea of being able to read manga on my ereader I don't actually do it which negates the size and resolution advantage and it actually ends up being a negative for me when I read Epubs because the low resolution pictures and maps look so tiny on the screen.
Although I've experienced the same thing with pictures and maps, I still prefer the Aura HD screen. The characters are so crisp and sharp. In my opinion, it's easier to read for a long time on the Aura HD. Also I found the characters to be a little bit blurry on the Aura, when surprisingly I have no issue reading on the Mini.
Those reasons and a not quite even screen (blueish spot) led me to bring the Aura back to the store. After a short affair with an Aura, I'm in love again with my Aura HD
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote