Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: October 2011 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
The Island of Dr. Moreau by H. G. Wells 19 31.15%
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley 3 4.92%
The Turn Of The Screw by Henry James 2 3.28%
Storm Front by Jim Butcher 12 19.67%
The Haunting Of Hill House by Shirley Jackson 8 13.11%
The Great and Secret Show by Clive Barker 2 3.28%
Anno Dracula by Kim Newman 5 8.20%
Hell House by Richard Matheson 4 6.56%
Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin 4 6.56%
The Castle of Otranto by Horace Walpole 2 3.28%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-24-2011, 06:02 PM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Thanks, Jon. I'll do a v2 based on your new upload.
Please make it a v1.1 as I made the new one a v1.1. That way they stay the same and people don't think one is better then the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
I prefer to keep the vote as it is now. Voting for another book you want to read because your first choice is obviously out of the running is just as valid a reason as any other.
Let's say there are two books out in front. One at 7 and the other at 5. The rest are all 1 or 2. Now let's say there are 15 more people who are going to vote. Now these 15 people see that two books are in the lead and vote for one of those instead of what they wanted. There is still enough people to put a different book out in front of the two leading books. But because they've seen the count and felt that their vote for the book wanted would be a waste, a different book gets voted for and what could maybe have been the winner is not even in the running.

So what you are saying is that you prefer to let the first X number of people decide what we read. So they make 2 or 3 books the frontrunners and the rest just become losers by default. How is that any good? And no, it's not really a valid reason to vote against your first choice.

Last edited by JSWolf; 09-24-2011 at 06:09 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:07 PM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Are you all (who don't want to vote Via PM) afraid of what the results might be? So you really want to be influenced by others? Do you not have a thought for yourself? Do you want others (if you don't get your votes in quick enough) to decide for you? Do you want to be lemmings? Why not try something different for once and see how it goes? You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Are you afraid to vote via PM? What reason do you have for not trying this?

Last edited by JSWolf; 09-24-2011 at 06:10 PM.
Advert
Old 09-24-2011, 06:26 PM   #48
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Are you all (who don't want to vote Via PM) afraid of what the results might be?
Not at all. I'm afraid of the message that gets sent when someone caves in to every nonsensical, pointless, personal crusade that come along. It distracts from the purpose of the club to constantly rehash this over and over and over again each month. We're choosing a book to read... not choosing a live-in care-giver for the flesh of our loins. Frankly, it's beginning to feel as though the selection process is more important to you than reading the book and discussing it... that annoys me.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:27 PM   #49
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Reasons: strategic voting is really a good thing. Say the voting as it stands means that your second choice and your last choice are in hot contention. Face it; you'll read your second choice with enjoyment and participate in the discussion and you'll opt out on your last choice. There's everything in favor of making a good enough choice as opposed to a suicide vote.

Next: In watching the voting for this month, I see that many people are willing to vote for no-hopers. A lot of the more recent votes have gone to also-rans. Why does the poll need to be secret? Why not let those who want to vote strategically do so? Nothing's stopping anyone from voting as they choose, and surely that's the crux of the matter.

Next: So far, people who have voiced an opinion seem strongly opposed to voting by PM and I'm among them. It might be different if there was a secret vote by poll option, but there isn't. Whether it's distrust of the process or the nuisance or other reasons, people don't like the "secret" aspect. That has to be respected.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:29 PM   #50
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Not at all. I'm afraid of the message that gets sent when someone caves in to every nonsensical, pointless, personal crusade that come along. It distracts from the purpose of the club to constantly rehash this over and over and over again each month. We're choosing a book to read... not choosing a live-in care-giver for the flesh of our loins. Frankly, it's beginning to feel as though the selection process is more important to you than reading the book and discussing it... that annoys me.
So much agreement with this. Every month, it's another issue. Thank you and karma to you.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2011, 07:16 PM   #51
Condillac
Condillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle 3
I agree with JSWolf: the poll need to be closed; I wasn't going to vote because I've already read the winner (I think we can call it that way already).

But I dislike this solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Well, if we want to give a go to a hidden vote for November, I can take votes via PM as long as the vote closes before October 29.
There will always be an opening to distrust.

It's possible to let the poll system without showing the results?
If not, I prefer to keep the way it is now.
Condillac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:38 PM   #52
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condillac View Post
...It's possible to let the poll system without showing the results?
If not, I prefer to keep the way it is now.
At the moment, no. I've asked it it's possible to fiddle with the code to make it possible, but haven't received a reply.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:42 PM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
So much agreement with this. Every month, it's another issue. Thank you and karma to you.
It's when we get people saying, I would have voted for that, but I voted for this instead because of the previous votes or who voted for it. It's then people not voting for what they really want. That's all I'm trying to do is to get people to vote how they really want so we can see the results. Sure we can still have a blowout. But it will be because everyone who voted for it wanted it first.

It could be very different results or not. But we'll never know if people are afraid to try.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:43 PM   #54
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Are you all (who don't want to vote Via PM) afraid of what the results might be? So you really want to be influenced by others? Do you not have a thought for yourself? Do you want others (if you don't get your votes in quick enough) to decide for you? Do you want to be lemmings? Why not try something different for once and see how it goes? You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Are you afraid to vote via PM? What reason do you have for not trying this?
As I said when you brought this up last month....

I vote for the book I want to read, I don't care if it has One or Ten votes already, the poll is part of the fun. It's an online book club, it's not the presidential election we are talking about here. If you don't like the winner you don't have to read it. How about starting a poll on this so we can settle this issue once and for all, then hopefully we won't have to discus this EVERY month...
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 03:43 AM   #55
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I don't mind a closed vote. I just don't want to vote via pm.

The person so strongly "suggesting" (i.e. going on and on and on about it) doesn't seem to trust us, why would we trust him? (Actually I do trust JSWolf and I don't believe he would cheat, but it's kind of a principle to me, the same as it is for him.)

This feels like dealing with a 6-year-old little girl I know. If she doesn't get want she wants she first sulks. Make a bit of retreat and then come back again. <Rinse and repeat> That way she hopes to "wear out" the resistance. (And sometimes she does manage to catch them/us off guard and succeeds.)

Can we PLEASE get this sorted out, one way or the other and then BE DONE WITH IT and get back to discussing the books? (Oh, I almost forgot, with the closed voting we wouldn't be allowed to discuss the books during the voting...)
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:21 AM   #56
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I believe the people have spoken, and voting via PM is out.

The good news is that I've heard from the powers-that-be, and the possibility of adding a poll option that would allow the results to be hidden until the poll ends is being looked into.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:23 AM   #57
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
The good news is that I've heard from the powers-that-be, and the possibility of adding an option that would allow the results to be hidden until the poll ends is being looked into.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:04 PM   #58
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
This is why we need a hidden vote.
My vote would be wasted otherwise.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:51 AM   #59
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

If anyone hasn't yet heard the news, the polling option to keep the vote hidden until the poll closes has be incorporated. As an experiment, the November vote results will be hidden until the voting period ends, and we'll see how we like it.

The official announcement:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...70#post1756470

The test thread (poll ends at 2:53 PM today):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=151110
Old 09-26-2011, 02:23 PM   #60
voodooblues
Connoisseur
voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.

Device: iPad(3 or HD or whatever), iPad Mini, Kindle 7" hdx, Samsung 7 tab 3
Seems like the squeaky wheel gets the grease
voodooblues is offline   Reply With Quote