Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 03-27-2011, 05:42 AM   #1
hombre
hombre began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle K3
calibre 0.7.52 not detecting Kindle

Hi...I downloaded latest version of Calibre but it is now no longer detecting my Kindle. I am running on Windows XP home version.
Can you help please?...report attached. Thanks in advance.
Version: 0.7.52
calibre, version 0.7.52
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

[Error 2] The system cannot find the file specified: u'c:\\docume~1\\brian\\locals~1\\temp\\calibre_0.7 .52_tmp_pihwor\\calibre_0.7.52_skymxd.mobi'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 64, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 382, in _upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 228, in upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\device.py", line 871, in _sanity_check
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\device.py", line 869, in get_size
File "genericpath.py", line 49, in getsize
WindowsError: [Error 2] The system cannot find the file specified: u'c:\\docume~1\\brian\\locals~1\\temp\\calibre_0.7 .52_tmp_pihwor\\calibre_0.7.52_skymxd.mobi'
hombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:29 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
That looks like a MOBI file on your local disk that Calibre thinks should be there (it created it in the temporary directory) isn't actually there. I'm guessing you're sending a book to the Kindle and that failed, right?
This doesn't look like a detection issue to me, but could you post the debug log for device detection (preferences->misc->debug device detection) with your Kindle attached just to be sure?
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2011, 08:13 AM   #3
hombre

Version: 0.7.52
USB devices on system:
[u'usb\\root_hub&vid8086&pid24d2&rev0002',
u'usb\\root_hub&vid8086&pid24de&rev0002',
u'usb\\root_hub&vid8086&pid24d4&rev0002',
u'usb\\root_hub20&vid8086&pid24dd&rev0002',
u'usb\\vid_046d&pid_09a4&rev_0006',
u'usb\\vid_046d&pid_09a4&rev_0006&mi_00',
u'usb\\vid_046d&pid_09a4&rev_0006&mi_02',
u'usb\\vid_046d&pid_c30e&rev_0180',
u'usb\\vid_046d&pid_c30e&rev_0180&mi_00',
u'usb\\vid_046d&pid_c30e&rev_0180&mi_01',
u'usb\\vid_04d9&pid_0499&rev_0290',
u'usb\\vid_05e3&pid_0608&rev_7761',
u'usb\\vid_1949&pid_0004&rev_0100']
Drives detected:
(0) E:\ ~ USBSTOR\DISK&VEN_KINDLE&PROD_INTERNAL_STORAGE&REV_ 0100\B008A0A00395307E&0
Available plugins: KINDLE KINDLE2 KINDLE_DX

Looking for devices...
u'usb\\vid_1949&pid_0004&rev_0100'
Detected possible device KINDLE2

Devices possibly connected: Kindle 2/3 Device Interface,
Trying to open Kindle 2/3 Device Interface ... OK
Main memory: 'E:\\'
Total space: (3279044608L, 0, 0)
Old 03-27-2011, 08:29 AM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

That says that the device is detected properly as a Kindle. Does Calibre display the books on the device properly? I think you were sending a file to the device when the error happened, right? Did you use the normal send to device- action in the GUI?
Old 03-27-2011, 08:58 AM   #5
hombre

yeah...everything looks and behaves as normal.All books are displayed ok. Transfer to kindle is "iffy"..ie; some books go and others don't.Yes..I always try to use the GUI to transfer...at the moment am having to drag and drop.
Is it worth me uninstalling and reinstalling ? Or...can I go back to 0.7.47...if so..where can I get it?
Advert
Old 03-27-2011, 09:06 AM   #6
Manichean
Wizard

You can get many old versions at the Sourceforge project page, I don't know if that will fix your problem, though. Also, read the changelogs before you downgrade, I remember there being a change not too long ago that breaks downgrades past that version. My personal advice would be to stay on 0.7.52- downgrades, while mostly possible, aren't officially supported for Calibre.
You're definitely not having a connection problem, then. You're saying that some books give errors when you try to transfer them- is there anything that distinguishes those books from the ones that transfer OK? Is the MOBI format available for them or does Calibre have to do an autoconvert before sending them?
Old 03-27-2011, 09:52 AM   #7
hombre

the "send to device " button appears when I connect the Kindle...also it shows at the bottom of the GUI. The books I down load from the net come to me in many formats....I just keep the mobi and delete the rest. In addition,,,and I don't know if this is connected...before 0.7.52 I had various news channels automatically down load every morning. With the current version I get "failed" message every time. This is not all that important to me ...but the books are, obviously.
Incidentally...thanks for your efforts...much appreciated.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:10 AM   #8
Manichean
Wizard

Do you have antivirus software or similar running? If so, try disabling it and see if that allows books and news to be transferred.
Also, do the failed news deliveries give the same error message? (Click on the jobs icon, then select the failed job and click show job details.)
Old 03-27-2011, 11:30 AM   #9
hombre

tried disabling firewall/antivirus etc....no different.
Failed news ..I get a box.."failed..fetch news from BBC" or whatever newspaper or channel I am trying to download.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:32 AM   #10
hombre

Fetch news from BBC UK
Python function terminated unexpectedly
bad local file header in C:\Program Files\Calibre2\pylib.zip (Error Code: 1)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site.py", line 103, in main
File "site.py", line 85, in run_entry_point
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\worker.py", line 104, in main
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\worker.py", line 78, in get_func
File "importlib\__init__.py", line 37, in import_module
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\__init__.py", line 19, in <module>
zipimport.ZipImportError: bad local file header in C:\Program Files\Calibre2\pylib.zip
Old 03-27-2011, 11:51 AM   #11
Manichean
Wizard

Hm. I'm out of ideas, you'll have to wait for someone else to come along.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:55 AM   #12
hombre

OK....thanks for trying anyhow...really appreciated...have a great day
Old 03-27-2011, 12:38 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Are you able to run conversions?
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:11 PM   #14
hombre

sorry for delay in replying.....no, it will not convert...
calibre, version 0.7.52
ERROR: Conversion Error: <b>Failed</b>: Convert book 1 of 1 (The Doors of Perception)
Old 03-27-2011, 06:52 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Uninstall calibre and then install this build: http://calibre-ebook.com/downloads/b...bre-0.7.52.msi

See if that fixes it.

And dont worry you wont loose any books/settings by uninstalling.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote