Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-02-2010, 05:48 PM   #1
Achilles
Enthusiast
Achilles began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Smaller Monospaced Font Possible?

Hey all, I'm wondering if it's possible to replace the monospaced font on the Kindle2 with a smaller version? Perhaps just setting the smallest font size to something smaller?
I ask because I sometimes read game walkthroughs from www.gamefaqs.com and nearly all of them are designed for 80-column width, mono-spaced viewing. Downloading the TXT file and adding HTML <code> and <br> tags was easy, but because the Kindle can't fit 80 characters to a line, the whole thing looks totally messed up.
Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks!
Achilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:21 PM   #2
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Use the CSS font-size property. It'll take some experimenting, but you should be able to find the right size.
clarknova is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2010, 11:37 PM   #3
Achilles
Enthusiast
Achilles began at the beginning.

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarknova View Post
Use the CSS font-size property. It'll take some experimenting, but you should be able to find the right size.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I just tried every possible font size setting in the CSS and unfortunately it will only take the type down as small as the smallest font setting on the Kindle. It won't go any smaller - so without a smaller font, the CSS won't help.

On the smallest monospaced font setting in landscape mode I'm getting 65 characters before they wrap.

I may just have to convert to PDF or something...
Achilles is offline   Reply With Quote