Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-17-2014, 04:28 PM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Can I create a Collection on PW2 without wifi?

I've been reading the thread "Do you recommend a Amazon Paperwhite". I have a PW2 on order and I'm concerned because I do not have wi-fi at home, by choice (nothing to do with expense). I had considered buying the 3g version but was told by MR members that this wouldn't be necessary.

However, I want to create collections on the reader. I watched this vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYxHP...FAAD&index=169

which made creating Collections on the PW2 look easy. But I've read that I'll be nagged to connect to the cloud via wi-fi to synch, even though these will all be sideloaded books.

I don't see a need to synch, because I'll just download the books I get from Amazon (a small percentage of those on the reader) onto my computer rather than store them in the cloud, which I don't trust. I'll archive them on my pc too.

So is there a problem with a 'nag' demanding that I connect the reader to the internet via wi-fi each time I add a book to a Collection or create a new Collection?

Please answer while I have a chance to change the order if Amazon haven't dispatched it yet.

Thanks.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:54 PM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Yes, you can create collections. Yes you will have to tap away the nag every time.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2014, 05:18 PM   #3
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If that's all I have to do, then no worries. Thanks booklover6
Old 02-17-2014, 05:19 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
You will have to register the Kindle via wi-fi at the beginning, or you will not be able to create collections, or download books for it.

There is no reason not to trust Amazon's cloud. Hundreds, if not thousands of large businesses use Amazon's cloud services, with no problems at all. Why would their own use of it be any different?

Also, you are going to be using the cloud, whether you want to or not, as all your books will be stored there, for future download. And, you realize, that if you back your books up to the pc, that if you get a different Kindle in future, that you will not be able to use the backup copies on it? DRM prevents it.

It would be much more convenient for you to just get a wi-fi router, and install it. They're very easy to install. Then, you could easily download books via wi-fi.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:23 PM   #5
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And hopefully an update will come out soon, to fix the nag problem.
Advert
Old 02-17-2014, 05:34 PM   #6
BookCat
C L J

I'm a friend of Alf's, so don't worry about DRM, I've put books I've bought from Amazon onto my 505 by downloading to the kindle4pc then converting via Calibre, Alfing it on the way.

I don't want wi-fi for health reasons. It gives me a headache!

Didn't Amazon once delete a load of books from the cloud, maybe five years ago?

Oh, and the reader should come pre-registered. If not, I'll have to use a friend's wi-fi.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:05 PM   #7
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Yes, it should be....you can go to Manage Your Kindle on amazon.com now and it should already show as being registered to you.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:30 PM   #8
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Amazon deleted one book, that was published without the publisher owning the rights to publish it. The more then compensated buyers of the book. They've promised to never delete a book like that again.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:52 AM   #9
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I've been reading the thread "Do you recommend a Amazon Paperwhite". I have a PW2 on order and I'm concerned because I do not have wi-fi at home, by choice (nothing to do with expense). I had considered buying the 3g version but was told by MR members that this wouldn't be necessary.

However, I want to create collections on the reader. I watched this vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYxHP...FAAD&index=169

which made creating Collections on the PW2 look easy. But I've read that I'll be nagged to connect to the cloud via wi-fi to synch, even though these will all be sideloaded books.

I don't see a need to synch, because I'll just download the books I get from Amazon (a small percentage of those on the reader) onto my computer rather than store them in the cloud, which I don't trust. I'll archive them on my pc too.

So is there a problem with a 'nag' demanding that I connect the reader to the internet via wi-fi each time I add a book to a Collection or create a new Collection?

Please answer while I have a chance to change the order if Amazon haven't dispatched it yet.

Thanks.
No worries I received one nag after I put many books on the PW2 via USB connection. I don't plan on using wi-fi on this one. It is just easier for me.

Hope you enjoy your PW2 also. I just got mine a few days ago from Staples. The video does not show Goodreads just like mine doesn't have it. But I did not register it, I don't see a need this time. I don't want all the extras that 5.4.2.1 software has. I have 5.4.2. firmware. 5.4.2.1 has Freetime (don't want or need). So I am not updating. Just in case you don't want it, I guess you can either not update or just ignore. I chose to not update. I like the software as is so I can just read without extra stuff
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:52 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
No worries I received one nag after I put many books on the PW2 via USB connection. I don't plan on using wi-fi on this one. It is just easier for me.

Hope you enjoy your PW2 also. I just got mine a few days ago from Staples. The video does not show Goodreads just like mine doesn't have it. But I did not register it, I don't see a need this time. I don't want all the extras that 5.4.2.1 software has. I have 5.4.2. firmware. 5.4.2.1 has Freetime (don't want or need). So I am not updating. Just in case you don't want it, I guess you can either not update or just ignore. I chose to not update. I like the software as is so I can just read without extra stuff
Your firmware 5.4.2 has Freetime also, 5.4.2.1 was an incremental update. Not sure exactly what changed, but all the main features were there; it was probably just bug fixes alone.

No good reason to avoid it.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:52 PM   #11
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Your firmware 5.4.2 has Freetime also, 5.4.2.1 was an incremental update. Not sure exactly what changed, but all the main features were there; it was probably just bug fixes alone.

No good reason to avoid it.
I keep getting told 5.4.2 (no zero or 1 after 2) it is there, but it isn't on mine. I don't want Freetime (for children). No Goodreads either. Don't want that either. I am good. If it isn't broke I am not fixing it

There was times I updated on KFHD and regretted (I think ) it. It just seems like bloatware. I might be thinking of my Ipod bloat updates.

Oh well.
new is offline   Reply With Quote