Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-06-2013, 08:20 PM   #1
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Questions for digital Manga fans

I haven't read Manga for years, but I used to enjoy reading things like Record of Lodoss War, Ranma 1/2, Tenchi Muyo!, Fushigi Yugi (sp?), Cowboy Bebop and You're Under Arrest. Also some scifi/fantasy type titles I can't remember.

I'm interested in the idea of digital manga. Is it sold in formats like CBR/CBZ, ePub, etc.? Stuff I can use on various devices and not worry about the need for a specific store app? I looked at Viz's site and it looks like digital manga from them has to be used in their proprietary app. I tried searching Kobo, but the selection didn't look like much and most of it didn't look like something that would interest me.

I guess I'm looking for both a little guidance and maybe some title recommendations.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:42 PM   #2
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I was hoping that you'd get an informed response, so I left off answering for a while. Since no one else answered, here's my two cents: (also, many people won't answer a question, but they'll jump right in if a wrong answer is given )

When I last checked about a year ago, DarkHorse only sold "app" versions of their books which would require a desktop or tablet to read. I guess ADE-style DRM doesn't work with CBR/CBZ files. I read somewhere (maybe here on MR) that this was common practice in the industry. I left in disgust and haven't gone back since, so I don't know if they've changed anything since then.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2013, 04:22 PM   #3
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
I went through the same thing recently looking for a good manga distributor for translated-to-English versions. It looked like 90% or more of the translated versions were fan-based scans and edits and thus only available in what would be considered "pirate" versions in the CBZ/CBR packaging. Any other versions available are each going to be in some proprietary format of the distributor (example: Amazon's would be readable only on the Kindle or Kindle app).

Edit: Oh, and I really gave up on it because most of the current stuff I found was really weird "romance" novel type stories or extremely violent demon/vampire hunter type stories. Nothing like the classic Lodoss series.

Last edited by steven522; 05-09-2013 at 04:25 PM.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:02 PM   #4
Amy_k
Zealot
Amy_k ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amy_k ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amy_k ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amy_k ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amy_k ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amy_k ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amy_k ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amy_k ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amy_k ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amy_k ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amy_k ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T2, Nexus 7
After jmanga's shutdown, I really wanted to support Download to Own manga so I also did some research. As far as I know the only manga publisher allowing digital downloads is Digital Manga and Sublime. Digital Manga supports multiple formats (epub, mobi, cbr...) although you do have to pay $1 for each additional format. Sublime sells watermarked PDFs. They also only sell yaoi/boys' love and the majority of Digital Manga's selections are also yaoi, hentai, and strangely enough Harlequin manga. From what I see on Digital Manga's website, they do have other genres but very slim pickings in SF/F.

I'm more of a Viz manga reader so I was waiting for them to have some sort of download option on their website (also waiting for Dark Horse too). I do know Viz has uploaded their catalog to the Nook store. I downloaded a sample and was able to get an drmed epub. I don't know if a purchased book would get you a different format but it may be worth looking into because backlist titles are being added each week. Fushigi Yugi is already in the store. I wouldn't be surprised if Ranma 1/2 shows up. Yen Press has also uploaded some of their titles and Vertical has started as well.

Hope this helps.
Amy_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:20 AM   #5
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
I have downloaded a graphic novel from B&N, and they are downloaded as DRM'd ebooks not as apps. That said, I had to root my tablet to grab the file for backup. So it's still not exactly buy to own.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert