Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-17-2014, 04:41 PM   #1171
Canis Lupus
Canis Lupus can extract oil from cheeseCanis Lupus can extract oil from cheeseCanis Lupus can extract oil from cheeseCanis Lupus can extract oil from cheeseCanis Lupus can extract oil from cheeseCanis Lupus can extract oil from cheeseCanis Lupus can extract oil from cheeseCanis Lupus can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
You are either in "last" mode (and everything is working exactly as it should), or you have hit the errors mentioned in the FAQ spoiler in the first post.

Thanks for the help.

I do not think I am in 'last' mode. I read the first post, and I don't see a file named 'last' in the linkss folder. There is no overlay that indicates it is sleeping, either.

I've tried restarting (unplugged), and it didn't solve anything. The only file I have in the screensaver's folder is the default one that says: "The ScreenSavers Hack has been successfully installed!", so that can't be causing the issue.

EDIT: Just for fun, I tried creating a file called 'Cover', and restarted the Kindle (with it unplugged) to try to enable the Cover mode. Nothing changed, its the same issue.

I have a PW2 with firmware 5.4.2.1, if that helps any.

Last edited by Canis Lupus; 06-17-2014 at 05:20 PM.
Canis Lupus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:56 PM   #1172
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
If the file is called "Cover", no wonder it didn't work. It should be "cover". Also, be sure that Windows isn't hiding the file extension (it may very well be "Cover.txt" which is even more unelpful).

Which mode are you in? (You can use KUAL to manage Screensavers, much easier to control things. See first post, "Install" spoiler. )
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2014, 08:54 PM   #1173
Canis Lupus
Canis Lupus can extract oil from cheeseCanis Lupus can extract oil from cheeseCanis Lupus can extract oil from cheeseCanis Lupus can extract oil from cheeseCanis Lupus can extract oil from cheeseCanis Lupus can extract oil from cheeseCanis Lupus can extract oil from cheeseCanis Lupus can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
If the file is called "Cover", no wonder it didn't work. It should be "cover". Also, be sure that Windows isn't hiding the file extension (it may very well be "Cover.txt" which is even more unelpful).

Which mode are you in? (You can use KUAL to manage Screensavers, much easier to control things. See first post, "Install" spoiler. )

I changed it to 'cover' and it made no difference, the extension was not hidden). I'm using Mac OSX by the way, though that shouldn't make a difference at all.

I'm not sure what mode I'm in. When I restart the device it says something to the effect of: "S loading screensavers".

I'll check out KUAL. Thanks.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:06 PM   #1174
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canis Lupus View Post
I changed it to 'cover' and it made no difference, the extension was not hidden). I'm using Mac OSX by the way, though that shouldn't make a difference at all.

I'm not sure what mode I'm in. When I restart the device it says something to the effect of: "S loading screensavers".

I'll check out KUAL. Thanks.
Then Windows definitely isn't hiding the extensions!

I get "S cover mode setup" in cover mode; from the message I'm guessing you are somehow still in custom screesavers mode (despite creating "[userstore]/linkss/cover"), and you have corrupted images.

Try deleting them all and reloading them.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:12 PM   #1175
Canis Lupus

Okay, I did that. When it rebooted, it showed "S cover mode". It took awhile to boot up too, so I'm guessing it was trying to load all of my book covers?

But, alas, I still have the same problem.
Advert
Old 06-17-2014, 09:21 PM   #1176
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

No, covers are analyzed when you open the book.

By default, there is a splash picture, but that may have ended up disappearing... in which case, IIRC it should show the last stuff, or else blank -- I'm not sure which.

If you are now in cover mode, you need to open a book, and the cover will be extracted and added to a cache. If you put your Kindle to sleep too soon, it may not successfully extract the cover in time. Best to leave it to fall asleep on its own to test it out. After the cover gets cached, you can usually just open a book, wait a few seconds then hit the power button and it will have the cover showing.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:54 PM   #1177
Canis Lupus

Okay, it fell asleep by itself. And, surprise, surprise...the cover of the book did not show up. I'm still having the same problem (the last stuff showing up)- its rather frustrating...all I want is a few custom screensavers, darn it!

I'll try another book, but I doubt it will work.

EDIT: I reinstalled both linkss and Python, and it still didn't solve the problem.

Here is what is currently in my (reinstalled) linkss folder, if it helps any:

'auto'
'backups' (folder)
'bin' (folder)
'cover_cache' (folder)
'discarded' (folder)
'etc' (folder)
'info.txt'
'mounted_ss'
'overflow' (folder)
'run' (folder)
'screensavers' (folder)

Last edited by Canis Lupus; 06-17-2014 at 10:41 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:08 AM   #1178
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Canis Lupus: As mentioned, you did something wrong at one point, and your image pool is corrupt.

* Uninstall linkss
* Remove the linkss folder
* Install linkss again
* STOP. Don't do anything, don't tweak anything, just let it go to sleep. (Spoiler: it'll show the "Hey, I'm the SS hack" screensaver).

* Double check the format of your images before adding them back, one or all of them are not encoded properly (for the Kindle).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 01:42 AM   #1179
Canis Lupus

It works now, finally!

I just redownloaded the file from the first page, and installed it (after uninstalling it on my Kindle). The initial download must have been corrupt or something?

Thank you for helping, everyone!
Old 06-18-2014, 03:02 AM   #1180
PeterBr
Enthusiast
PeterBr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Mini Retina, iBooks on Mavrericks
Quote:
You are either in "last" mode (and everything is working exactly as it should), or you have hit the errors mentioned in the FAQ spoiler in the first post.
Oh damn. My bad. I checked the beginning of the thread, but somehow managed to miss this.
PeterBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 03:06 AM   #1181
PeterBr
Enthusiast
PeterBr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Mini Retina, iBooks on Mavrericks
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
The logs probably won't tell much if you got it down to the next-to-last case,

Yes, that was the case. What threw mw was that he display a cover even though I had emptied the cover_cache and screenscavers directory. I still wonder where it got the cover from, but not too much.

Annyway, I reconverted the book from AZW to MOBI and now it works. Thanks y'all for your help.

Quote:
but FYI, because it might come in handy: from the Homescreen, launch a Search for the string ;dm, instead of showing you the search result page, it'll churn for a while, and four txt files will pop in the documents folder (and thus on your homescreen too).
Handy. Worked, to..

Quote:
As for the books, a lot of People/Publishing House still handle metadata like crap, so I'm not terribly surprised. PM me one of them and I'll try to pinpoint the issue, see if it can be worked around in the hack or not.
Will try to do that.
PeterBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 04:59 PM   #1182
jacobt13
jacobt13 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 2, Nook simple with glow, Nook HD, Kindle Keyboard
OK, this is a question connected to the special ads, but not about getting around them. I just got a new Kindle Paperwhite 2 with the ads. Because of a shipping issue, Amazon is letting me use a credit that hasn't hit the account yet to eliminate the ads, but I got the paperwhite today. So I wanted to do all the hacks at once. I know the screensaver hack will NOT eliminate the ads, but if I do the hack when I still have the ads, will it works when they are gone (which I know how to do and will do officially when the credit hits the account)?
jacobt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:02 PM   #1183
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@jacobt13: Yep.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:00 PM   #1184
jacobt13
jacobt13 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 2, Nook simple with glow, Nook HD, Kindle Keyboard
Perfect! Thanks! Just wanted to be sure!
jacobt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:55 PM   #1185
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Shouldn't this be called a slideshow instead of a screensaver since eInk doesn't need to be saved?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch