Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-26-2012, 11:53 PM   #1
Cruisepurl
Cruisepurl began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Kobo frozen on "Restoring your Device..."

My Kobo was failing to be detected by Kobo Desktop and by the site that allows library downloads. I tried everything I could think of to get it to work to no avail. So I did a factory reset. It looked like it would work but now all I have is a frozen screen telling me "Restoring your Device to Factory Defaults...". This message has been there all day.

I've tried the paper-clip trick, the power switch with the Home button trick, all the suggestions I could find on here.

The Kobo was charging all night so the battery should be ok.

Is it time to bury my Kobo??

I should mention that this was a refurbished Kobo, sent to me by the Kobo people after my original stopped working, also with a frozen screen.
Cruisepurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:50 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Try holding the home button down and using the paper-clip. Keep the home button pressed until the light at the top start flashing. This is an alternate way to do the factory reset. I thought it was the same as the home+power button, but from another post today, it might work differently.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2012, 08:51 AM   #3
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Look through ViroGirl's post "15 month old Kobo Touch frozen on powered off screen", as she has posted details of the different reset options given to her by Kobo, and what worked for her too.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:44 AM   #4
Cruisepurl

Well, I tried everything suggested here, and elsewhere on this site, but nothing has worked. I get no response whatsoever so I'm giving up. Will not buy another Kobo product - this was the second one I had (the first went back to Kobo because it froze). My husband has also experienced annoying problems with his Kobo Touch. I just don't know what to buy next. Kindle Fire is not available in Canada. I looked at the latest Sony but it didn't grab me. Will just keep watching the market and see what appears, I guess.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:10 PM   #5
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
One of the strong points of the Nook is every Barns & Noble I have been to had very knowledgeable person giving demos and able to help with problems. First time I saw Nook Color was At Tallahassee soon after it came out. Expert there would even talk about rooting Nook Color.

Main reason I first bought Kobo wifi was similar situation At Borders.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2012, 09:06 PM   #6
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I would charge it again and attempt several more factory resets before giving up. You said you "tried everything" to get something to work - it's possible that this and/or other factors have drained the battery prematurely.

When you do factory resets, you need to ensure the device is turned off first, no matter what the screen is showing, so slide and hold the Power button for about 20 seconds before trying the reset; then repeat the whole process in case you turned it on instead of off.

I would also try a different micro USB cable - it's the obvious first step when your device isn't being recognised by the computer.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:48 AM   #7
Cruisepurl

Thanks for your advice, Meeera, you've inspired me to have another go. It's charging now.
LATER: Still no dice. IT IS DEAD. R.I.P.

Last edited by Cruisepurl; 11-01-2012 at 07:42 PM.

Tags
frozen, kobo, touch