Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 01-07-2009, 08:31 PM   #1
dcalder
Zealot
dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-300/Kindle Keyboard/iPad Mini
New battery -> faster response?!?

When I originally purchased my Cybook, I bought the bundle that included a spare battery. I'd never actually bothered to switch batteries, however, as I really don't think that repeatedly unplugging and plugging in those little leads is going to be a good idea. However, considering just how long I'd had the spare, I finally decided that I'd probably better swap the battery or the new one would end up permanently dead before I'd ever used it. So, I went ahead and made the switch (not difficult by any means but my concerns over repeatedly doing so are, if anything, even stronger).

Once I'd switched batteries, I plugged the Cybook in to charge and left it overnight. The next day, I unplugged it and powered it up. It seemed to whip through the startup screens faster than I'd expected, but I didn't think much of it. Until, that is, I tried paging through my list of books and the screen changed in an instant! No more sitting around wondering whether my button click had registered or not - the response was immediate. Ditto for paging through within books. Very, very strange. Nice - but strange.

I thought that it might be just a fluke, but the faster response times have persisted through a couple more charge cycles. Did the battery cause the change? Or maybe the battery wasn't making as good of contact as it could have before? I don't know, and I'm not curious enough to bother switching the batteries back at the moment. However, the potential battery connection may be something to ponder if someone thinks their Cybook is exceptionally slow.
dcalder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:26 AM   #2
peterbbb
BoyReader
peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook Gen3 and now Kindle 3
Awww, go on. Do the experiment and swap the battery back, but this time use a stopwatch.
peterbbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:41 AM   #3
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Yes, I also bought the spare and have not used it. Battery life is god enough that the spare turned out to be a waste so far. One day however, I will be on a long holiday in big mountains and then.......

Also would encourage you to do the stopwatch test as that screw is real little and I don't have a stopwatch.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:07 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMartin View Post
Battery life is god enough that the spare turned out to be a waste so far. One day however, I will be on a long holiday in big mountains and then.......
... you'll realize you forgot to charge the spare battery
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:53 AM   #5
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
... you'll realize you forgot to charge the spare battery
Have you been following me around? That is my life in a nutshell.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote