Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 11-17-2013, 03:40 PM   #1
specialp
specialp began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox m92
Onyx Boox M96

Hi there!

Screen on my M92 broke (I almost cried...) so I was looking for something new for PDF and Epub books I read. I read that Onyx is planning to release M96 in the next few months but anyone knows will it be before Christmas?

Any information about new M92 successor are also very welcome! Hopefully new screen? E-ink Carta? Touchscreen? Light?

@Booxtor
You are always the man with the best information.
Are you planning to offer M96 in your store anytime soon?

In this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PC1_V-621Q#t=422

A nice lady says that "they can accept orders from the agents" for M96, does it mean that you could order it for ereader-store.de?
I (and many other people) would be really interested in buying it for Christmas, could you ordered it for your store please please please...

Last edited by specialp; 11-17-2013 at 03:50 PM.
specialp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:33 AM   #2
fraylocus
Groupie
fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox T68
First, for someone of an answer, you first have to have it.

Also has to respond to broken promises about porting Android to M92 & i62HD *, which is justified on the grounds of alpha and unsatisfactory state, those carried on the new devices.

What is baked under cover?

It could be a new unofficial Linux firmware and hand of a developer to this forum, as discussed in some thread.

And another possibility is that what is criticized as bad: New Devices running Android, will become good, when there is the possibility / need to sell.

What it is quite likely, official support for Linux for M92 firmwares & i62HD * finished.

A greeting. -
fraylocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:40 AM   #3
iampiti
Connoisseur
iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!

Device: Onyx M92
I am also interested in the M96 (also because my M92 screen broke , although it was my fault ).
Anyway, I'm concerned about the choice of Android for new ereaders: AFAIK Linux software is more mature and adapted to e ink screens.
On another topic, it's sad so few people seem to be interested in large ereaders. It seems there are no companies ready to cater to our needs.
iampiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:35 AM   #4
bleph
bleph has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bleph has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bleph has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Boox M90, M92 Black
Yes, it is a shame people prefer 5" or 6". I love reading on the big screen. I am sure more people would be interested if they knew how comfortable it is. Maybe the price is a put off.

Last edited by bleph; 11-19-2013 at 04:37 AM. Reason: Edited for typo.
bleph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:17 AM   #5
seaniko7
wannabe developer
seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle: 2xKeyboard, Classic, 2xTouch, 2xPW, PW2; Onyx: Boox M92
Meh, I'm not buying one unless Onyx releases full source code to kernel & bootloader. It's a shame that current OS development (*62 / *92 devices) is available only because I managed to fork their sources a week before they took it down.
seaniko7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:29 PM   #6
Philju
Enthusiast
Philju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: none
I'm also interested in buying a 10'' e-ink tablet with an open android OS. Besides reading E-books I plan to switch my newspaper to epaper which requires android OS version 3.2 or higher. Therefore, I monitor the development of new products from

Onyx
Imcosys
Leia

very closely. I hope that the number of appropriate products will rise in the near future.
Philju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:37 PM   #7
fraylocus
Groupie
fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaniko7 View Post
Meh, I'm not buying one unless Onyx releases full source code to kernel & bootloader. It's a shame that current OS development (*62 / *92 devices) is available only because I managed to fork their sources a week before they took it down.
In short: They leave in addition to support and deny or hinder access to the sources, so that no one can work on an alternative firmware.

It is almost clear that what they want is to bury the M92 & I62HD * to sell the new Android devices, not cheap.
When others sell art readers at a great price.
For example: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=224348

A greeting. -
Old 11-19-2013, 08:25 PM   #8
zeng
Enthusiast
zeng exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverzeng exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverzeng exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverzeng exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverzeng exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverzeng exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverzeng exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverzeng exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverzeng exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverzeng exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverzeng exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

seaniko7, we found that our competitors just copy our source code and port to their devices without releasing any code then, so we decided to change the repo from public to private. If you want to fork the repo and continue your excellent work, you could send your github account to john@onyx-international.com, he will add you to the group. We will definitely release all of the GPLed source code to our users.

I'm not sure when will M96 be available, but we will release M95 very soon. The M95 adopts 1Ghz processor with 512MB memory and is running Android 2.3. We will also release T68(6.8 inch 1440x1080) very soon. It uses different processor with android 4.0. In 2014, we will release 8 (1600x1200) inch and 13.3 (flexible screen) inch devices too. Onyx will provide more choices for professional reading users.
zeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:02 AM   #9
fraylocus
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeng View Post
seaniko7, we found that our competitors just copy our source code and port to their devices without releasing any code then, so we decided to change the repo from public to private. If you want to fork the repo and continue your excellent work, you could send your github account to john@onyx-international.com, he will add you to the group. We will definitely release all of the GPLed source code to our users.

I'm not sure when will M96 be available, but we will release M95 very soon. The M95 adopts 1Ghz processor with 512MB memory and is running Android 2.3. We will also release T68(6.8 inch 1440x1080) very soon. It uses different processor with android 4.0. In 2014, we will release 8 (1600x1200) inch and 13.3 (flexible screen) inch devices too. Onyx will provide more choices for professional reading users.
Indirectly, you are confirming our fears about the end of official support for the M92 & i62HD *.

As spokesman for Onyx, I'll do two simple questions whose answer will give us the measure of the mood of your company:

- Will they keep you official support M92 & i62HD *?

- Undertake the promised Android-ported as a selling-by your authorized dealer for the M92 & Booxtor i62HD *?

In its response, or silence, is the credibility of Onyx for we trust in your company.

A greeting. -
Old 11-20-2013, 04:10 AM   #10
seaniko7
wannabe developer
seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle: 2xKeyboard, Classic, 2xTouch, 2xPW, PW2; Onyx: Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeng View Post

You bought me. I'll contact you soon.
seaniko7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:47 AM   #11
specialp

Wow! They are planning to release 13.3'' device next year?!? Wow! Flexible screen?!? Wow!

I was waiting for the Sony's 13.3'' device but when I found out that it will cost 1100$ and handle only pdfs I lost interest.

M95? can't find any info about this one online... Thought that M96 will be M92 successor...

ping @Booxtor
Old 11-20-2013, 04:51 AM   #12
specialp

@zeng I understand that you can't tell us details but what does "very soon" means in case of M95? Does it mean before end of the year?

Can you tell us more about 13.3'' device? I know MANY professionals(scientists/engineers) that would be interested in a such device...
Old 11-20-2013, 10:45 AM   #13
iampiti
Connoisseur
iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!

Device: Onyx M92
Zeng that's great to hear. I glad to know you're working on plenty of new devices. Anyway, Onyx needs better public relations: The update is very seldom updated. The twitter account doesn't have much activity either.
iampiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:15 PM   #14
fraylocus
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampiti View Post
Anyway, Onyx needs better public relations: The update is very seldom updated. The twitter account doesn't have much activity either.
If for example it would not hurt to respond to direct questions on the support of the current readers.
Out of respect for this forum and the many clients who are users of this site readers Onyx and ...

But no. Now what matters is that we prepare the money to buy the new models.
And we talk a lot of it to create expectation and free propaganda.

I will make a few last questions to see if he deigns to answer:

Mr. Zeng:

- Support for new readers will be the same level as the current, some even bought a few weeks ago ...?

- They will be bug free and stable firmware, or will neither reach alphas betas ...?

Thank you very much for your answer, if it occurred.
And if not, you have a customer with less.

regards
Old 11-20-2013, 09:01 PM   #15
zeng
Enthusiast
zeng exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverzeng exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverzeng exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverzeng exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverzeng exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverzeng exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverzeng exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverzeng exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverzeng exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverzeng exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverzeng exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

@fraylocus we will continue support M92 and i62. We have workable android version for M92 and i62 . The end users have to program the device by using PC tools. For linux version, we will fix bugs, but may not add new feature. We will also release all of linux source code to help developer to continue development work for M92 and i62. Most likely, we will also release source code of android for M92 and i62.
zeng is offline   Reply With Quote