Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-31-2009, 01:32 PM   #1
frdimond
frdimond began at the beginning.

Device: aspire one
Install problem on ubuntu

Hi all

I'm triyng to install Calibre using binary installer..but i have this problem..

Extracting files to /opt/calibre ...
Extracting application files...
Creating symlinks...
Trying to setup udev rules...
* Restarting Hardware abstraction layer hald [ OK ]
Setting up bash completion...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/tmp/init.py", line 45, in <module>
File "/home/kovid/work/calibre/src/calibre/linux.py", line 496, in binary_install
File "/home/kovid/work/calibre/src/calibre/linux.py", line 466, in post_install
File "/home/kovid/work/calibre/src/calibre/linux.py", line 181, in setup_completion
File "/home/kovid/work/calibre/src/calibre/gui2/lrf_renderer/main.py", line 18, in <module>
File "/home/kovid/work/calibre/src/calibre/gui2/library.py", line 17, in <module>
File "/home/kovid/work/calibre/src/calibre/library/database2.py", line 19, in <module>
File "/home/kovid/work/calibre/src/calibre/library/database.py", line 15, in <module>
File "/home/kovid/work/calibre/src/calibre/web/feeds/__init__.py", line 12, in <module>
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/lxml/html/__init__.py", line 1417, in <module>
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/lxml/html/__init__.py", line 48, in __fix_docstring
TypeError: expected string or buffer
Segmentation fault
wotton@wotton-laptop:~$ calibre
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/tmp/init.py", line 43, in <module>
File "/home/kovid/work/calibre/src/calibre/gui2/main.py", line 28, in <module>
File "/home/kovid/work/calibre/src/calibre/gui2/dialogs/scheduler.py", line 18, in <module>
File "/home/kovid/work/calibre/src/calibre/web/feeds/__init__.py", line 12, in <module>
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/lxml/html/__init__.py", line 1417, in <module>
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/lxml/html/__init__.py", line 48, in __fix_docstring
TypeError: expected string or buffer
Segmentation fault

Please anyone know the problem?

Thanks in advance
frdimond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:51 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Your version of python-lxml is too old. Either update it or use the binary installer.

EDIT: Oops, I see you are using the binary installer, sorry, there wasa bug in the build. Re-download it and it should work.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 01-31-2009 at 03:19 PM.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2009, 12:55 PM   #3
frdimond
frdimond began at the beginning.

Device: aspire one
Well

as you suggest, I maked a new installation and now all it's ok!

thanks a lot for your help and for your perfect and unique software!!
frdimond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:49 PM   #4
joneall
joneall began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen
Install DESTROYS /usr/bin

I did as suggested and did a new install. I executed your command

sudo python -c "import urllib2; exec urllib2.urlopen('http://status.calibre-ebook.com/linux_installer').read(); main()"

The installation asked what directory calibre was in. I replied /usr/bin/calibre, as that is where the type command told me calibre was, and it said that was not a directory name. So I gave /usr/bin and now the %^&*( SOB has replaced by /usr/bin by a load of ^&*!

Is this "works as designs" or a great, bloody BUG?

I am not happy.
joneall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 01:27 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The installer says in plain English

Choose the *installation directory* for calibre

and it also warns you that the directory you choose will be deleted.

Not only that it provides you with the sensible default choice of /opt/calibre
Advert
Old 09-25-2009, 01:50 PM   #6
joneall

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post

That is possible, but I certainly did not see the warning. So I suggest you make it stand out more.

I picked /usr/bin because that is where it was before. I suppose that is the Kubuntu default. I am not responsible for that.

I don't suppose you have any idea how to recover those files.

I am still extraordinarily p***d off. Wouldn't you be?
Old 09-25-2009, 01:59 PM   #7
joneall

Suggestion for calibre install

Please fix the install so it looks to see if the bloody directory is EMPTY before it deletes it. That is really a minimal precaution to take!
Old 09-25-2009, 02:02 PM   #8
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post

Perhaps it should ask again (in big friendly letters) before actually deleting a directory. An it would be great if it could check that everything it is going to delete belongs to a previous calibre installation, and warn otherwise.

This is an example of where the original Murphy's Law is applicable: If something can be done in a wrong way, someone will do it. The moral is you should make it impossible to do it the wrong way. (This is a generic "you" not "you"=Kovid).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 03:21 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by joneall View Post
I am still extraordinarily p***d off. Wouldn't you be?
No, when I make a mistake, I don't tend to blame other people for it.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:23 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Perhaps it should ask again (in big friendly letters) before actually deleting a directory. An it would be great if it could check that everything it is going to delete belongs to a previous calibre installation, and warn otherwise.

This is an example of where the original Murphy's Law is applicable: If something can be done in a wrong way, someone will do it. The moral is you should make it impossible to do it the wrong way. (This is a generic "you" not "you"=Kovid).
http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/ticket/3550
Old 09-25-2009, 03:28 PM   #11
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joneall View Post
Please fix the install so it looks to see if the bloody directory is EMPTY before it deletes it. That is really a minimal precaution to take!
That actually does not make sense as normally it would NOT be empty as it would have a previous install of Calibre in it.

What could be done I guess is add a confirmation step before going ahead with the delete to help those who ignore the initial warning.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:15 PM   #12
joneall

Yes, anything to warn of danger is good. You can check if the directory is not empty and say so, as I suggested. And make the warning more noticeable, as someone else suggested. One can always empty the calibre directory by hand. Or look at the files.

Before retired as an IT person, I was frequently reprimanded by younger people for not taking adequate precautions during installation. So don't think I'm blaming you personally. I am suggesting improvement, that's all.

And if I'm ticked off, it's with myself too. I never get as mad with anyone else as I do with myself when I make a mistake. I do have the right to be ticked off about losing my system.

So let's just admit it can be done better and profit from the occasion. After all, calibre is an extremely useful program and one which I am happy to have!
Old 12-09-2009, 06:34 AM   #13
MasBlaMan
MasBlaMan began at the beginning.

Device: prs-600
I come from windows and this situation reminds me of some cool uninstalls that removed half of the OS...

I took interest in this thread because when I tried to install the latest version of calibre it asked me where I want to install, and since I have no idea of linux directory structure I just hit enter on the [/opt] default option... but the install ran in some problems at the begining and did not finish.

So I dont know what the install script or whatever it was did since it got out with an error.

So my actual question is: Can I leave /opt or do I have to ad an calibre subdir or does it make one by itself?

And please dont tell me to install it in my usual program directory since I have no idea witch is it: /bin, /usr/bin, /usr/share/bin... and so on.

And I kinda like installing stuff in the right place...
MasBlaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:13 PM   #14
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The /opt is a standard location for add-on packages under Linux (similar to /usr and /usr/local). The install should create any required folders under /opt
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:26 AM   #15
lamparty
lamparty began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Thanks, for tip off on the bug in the original 6.40 download of the binary installer, that solves my problem also! Re-installed and everything went perfect as it normally does!

Last edited by lamparty; 02-19-2010 at 01:27 AM. Reason: added info
lamparty is offline   Reply With Quote