Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-23-2008, 01:50 PM   #1
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Can you read this? Fast?

I don't know if the 55% is true or not, but it certainly is interesting to note that I could pretty much read it as fast as I read normal text. Have a go!

Quote:
fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid too.
Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55% of plepoe can.

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! if you can raed tihs forwrad it.
p.s. this has been posted before and was not created by me.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 02:19 PM   #2
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
I don't know if the 55% is true or not, but it certainly is interesting to note that I could pretty much read it as fast as I read normal text. Have a go!
No problems reading it. But then I can decipher my own handwriting weeks later, so this was hardly a challenge
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2008, 03:52 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
It might be helpful to be dyslectic.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 03:54 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
No problems reading it. But then I can decipher my own handwriting weeks later, so this was hardly a challenge
I don't have any problem reading it, but I often can't decipher my own handwriting. I don't spell so good either, maybe that helps me.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 04:02 PM   #5
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The phenomenon happens thanks to the human mind's affinity for Pattern Recognition! Huzzah Pattern Recognition!

Our minds are very, very good at subconsciously examining visual cues and sorting them into something that makes sense (instinctively developed from all those years of picking out the lion in the tall grasses). Just one of the incredible things that make us Earth beings so unique in the universe.

It's also one of the reasons why so many writers need editors, to catch the instances of these that slip into manuscripts.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2008, 04:12 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Just one of the incredible things that make us Earth beings so unique in the universe.
Ah, been surveying the pattern recognition skills of the galaxy's sophants again, have you?
Old 04-23-2008, 05:20 PM   #7
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I don't have any problem reading it, but I often can't decipher my own handwriting. I don't spell so good either, maybe that helps me.
You must be an engineer too.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 05:45 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist

My degree is in engineering, but I've never really used it, is that close enough?
Old 04-23-2008, 07:07 PM   #9
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
I could read the passage almost as fast as normal text. I didn't have to unscramble the letters, but just guessed from the context and the existence of a few letters in each word.

I've been reading English every day for last fifty years. I think my brain was applying images it knew well to a few hints. It was guessing, jumping to conclusions, without analysing in detail.

The brain can make wrong guesses of course: Consider all those images of Jesus and the Virgin Mary we see in toast and stained walls, and the Face on Mars that we see in a few shadows. And of course, the old optical illusion of "Paris in the the Spring", where the brain ignores the repeated "the".

Intriguing. Thanks for that, original poster.
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:15 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I raed thaht wtih no dfificltuy at all.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:25 PM   #11
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCR View Post
And of course, the old optical illusion of "Paris in the the Spring", where the brain ignores the repeated "the".

Intriguing. Thanks for that, original poster.
Aw, you got me on that one! Good one too!
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:49 PM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist

Along the same lines: what do you see when you look at the moon?

I used to see a face, until a Spanish teacher pointed out that you can also see a rabbit, now I can only see the stinkin' rabbit.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:21 PM   #13
binzer
Zealot
binzer doesn't litterbinzer doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3
I've seen this kind of thing before, but not the statistic. 55% can't possibly be true! It seems really low, especially since everyone who's posted so far cannot only read it, but read it very quickly.

I suppose that if the statistic includes illiterate people it might be accurate, but I would assume that only people who can already read would be tested.

Can anyone here not read it, or only read it with great difficulty? I suppose no one would want to admit it, but it's nothing to be embarrassed about if 45% of the population is that way!
binzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:23 PM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist

Finally: something to validate my longstanding claim to being above average!
Old 04-24-2008, 08:26 AM   #15
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
unbelievable - i can read that faster than ' normal ' text !!
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote