Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-26-2013, 12:23 PM   #1
LGN
Connoisseur
LGN is on a distinguished road

Device: ProMedia eReader, Sony PRS-600
MP3 defined in opf as media-type="text/plain

I was just experimenting with adding an mp3 to an epub with sigil and used my script to convert ePUB2 to ePUB3. Then I ran the resulting ePUB through epubcheck 3.0 and I got:

Epubcheck Version 3.0
Validating against EPUB version 3.0
"Audio element doesn't provide fallback"

That was the only error. When I examined the content.opf I noticed the mp3 is defined as text/plain in the opf. whereas I expected: audio/mpeg.

While I can (and probably will) adapt by script to correct for this issue I just wonder why Sigil supports adding media yet it puts the media as text/plain.

Is setting audio as text/plain an oversight or has it be done on purpose?
LGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:50 PM   #2
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Why are you including an audio track in a book in the first place?
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2013, 01:03 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Sigil will no longer TRASH non EPUB2 files, it just leaves them alone.

EPUB2 does not support Audio

It is up to you to make the EPUB3 hacks to the OPF
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:04 PM   #4
LGN
Connoisseur
LGN is on a distinguished road

Device: ProMedia eReader, Sony PRS-600
Sigil has the option to insert a file and it has Audio and Video folders and when adding an MP3 it adds the code for it, '<audio controls="controls" src="../Audio/test.mp3"></audio>' and adds the file into the OPF. It even shows Audio and Video folders when you start Sigil thus suggesting it has some support for them.

At least if it adds MP3 have it add correct application type. No worries though, I can have my ePUB2 to ePUB3 converter 'fix' the issue automatically on conversion. I end up with a fully compatible and validatable ePUB3.

As for why one wants to add audio or video to an ePUB in the first place is something that might be useful is some cases. An instruction video in an ePUB is one of the examples.

I know Sigil is ePUB2 only, I know ePUB2 doesn't support audio That is why I made my convertor to convert the ePUB2 to a valid ePUB3.
LGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:23 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGN View Post
It even shows Audio and Video folders when you start Sigil thus suggesting it has some support for them.
Sigil's current level of "support" for audio/video in ePubs is pretty much what The Ducks described: Sigil won't silently get rid of audio/video in existing epub 2 packages (to make it compliant) like it used to do. But it's not going to do much of anything in the way of assisting you in creating brand-spanking-new (and functional) multi-media epubs. It's very much at that "let's not completely F-up an archive with multimedia files in them ... let's just slam those files in these handily named folders; manifest them and forget about them for now" stage.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2013, 03:38 PM   #6
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Sigil is likely to stay in this state until there are actually devices that can use epub3s and there are enough of them to figure out what is actually supported by them.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audio files, epub2 vs epub3