Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-26-2008, 11:28 PM   #1
ddavtian
Addict
ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sage, Elipsa, Oasis, Galaxy Tab 8U, S22U
Jetbook at Frys, $209

I was at Frys yesterday (San Francisco area), saw Jetbook first time, $209. I don't know if it was a regular price or with a discount, there was no sign. Next to it there were Sony 505, $269, and 700, $399.

I'm not looking for a new device, only wish they would put the Jetbook on display, to touch and compare to Sony.

David
ddavtian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 12:26 PM   #2
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
NewEgg.com has limited time promotion and offer jetBook for $199.99 with free shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...01&Tpk=jetbook
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 12:54 PM   #3
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavtian View Post
I'm not looking for a new device, only wish they would put the Jetbook on display, to touch and compare to Sony.
Jetbook has an old fashioned LCD screen, such as used in calculators, PalmPilots, very old mobile phones or digital watches. I very strongly recommend comparing Jetbook to other e-ink device before purchase. There are people that prefer Jetbook because it does not have the inverted "flash" most e-ink devices have.

If you look for a rock-bottom low price for a new ebook reading device have a look at the eSlick reader from Foxit https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34276 , currently the pre-order price is $229 plus tax plus shipping
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 10:42 AM   #4
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The LCD screen of the Jetbook is sharp and very clear.
You can see the picture of my jetBook that I made in airplane below

It has no any delays like ink technology screen when you page down and page up and it has real pocket size with 5" screen

You can also read review of Mike Cook below
http://www.pg-news.org/20080811/ecta...-ebook-reader/

"
The jetBook does not use an E-Ink screen, however, this does give it an advantage over all the other eBook readers that are currently out there; a crisp and very white screen! One of the issues people have with the current E-Ink (and VixPlex) standard is that the page contrast is not high enough - usually with E-Ink screens you have a light gray background displaying dark gray text, making low light reading a challenge.

Well, if you think this will be an issue then perhaps you would be better suited to a jetBook. These use a reflective monochrome LCD screen so that the background is nice and white, allowing the text to be read much easier.
"
Old 12-28-2008, 07:45 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Jetbook has an old fashioned LCD screen, such as used in calculators, PalmPilots, very old mobile phones or digital watches. I very strongly recommend comparing Jetbook to other e-ink device before purchase. There are people that prefer Jetbook because it does not have the inverted "flash" most e-ink devices have.

If you look for a rock-bottom low price for a new ebook reading device have a look at the eSlick reader from Foxit https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34276 , currently the pre-order price is $229 plus tax plus shipping
While the Jetbook uses LCD it is not the same LCD as all the others you mentioned. It is a reflective display at high density 166 ppi and offers a good alternative to e-Ink. Reflective LCD is not backlit and cannot be and still be reflective.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 03:19 AM   #6
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
NewEgg.com has limited time promotion and offer jetBook for $199.99 with free shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...01&Tpk=jetbook
not so limited, its been that way over a month.

the jetbook does look nice and small which if i needed a new ebook reader i would probably get the jetbook
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:29 PM   #7
dogstar
dogstar began at the beginning.

Device: JetBook
Post I can vouch for the JetBook

I recently purchased a JetBook and I am very pleased with it so far. The LCD screen is very high quality. It doesn't look like a calculator or old PDA display at all. In fact, one of my co-workers just bought the Sony PRS-700 and in side by side comparisons I think my JetBook screen is much more crisp and easier to read, which honestly surprised me. Thus far my only complaint with my JetBook is the lack of PDF reflow. I did email them to inquire if they were planning to add PDF reflow in a future firmware upgrade and the response from their customer support manager was that they were planning to add that feature. Only time will tell if it actually happens or not though.
dogstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:09 AM   #8
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogstar View Post
I recently purchased a JetBook and I am very pleased with it so far. The LCD screen is very high quality. It doesn't look like a calculator or old PDA display at all. In fact, one of my co-workers just bought the Sony PRS-700 and in side by side comparisons I think my JetBook screen is much more crisp and easier to read, which honestly surprised me. Thus far my only complaint with my JetBook is the lack of PDF reflow. I did email them to inquire if they were planning to add PDF reflow in a future firmware upgrade and the response from their customer support manager was that they were planning to add that feature. Only time will tell if it actually happens or not though.
What is the color of your jetBook? There are 4 colors available: Black, White, Gray and Red.