Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-15-2013, 05:06 PM   #31
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2
Looks good . . . being totally girly the colours are a little dull!

Last edited by Willa; 04-20-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:26 PM   #32
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
preorder site not working

If you do want to pre-order you can't as the site is currently broken.
The webpage at https://www.kobo.com/onestepcheckout/ has resulted in too many redirects. At least that is what happens in Chrome, seems to work okay in IE.

Last edited by jiminrussell; 04-15-2013 at 05:31 PM. Reason: update about browser version
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:33 PM   #33
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Does this mean that we are getting a new firmware release soon?
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:34 PM   #34
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Touch screen

The had to go and ruin it
(Touch challenged person. Besides, cat paws happen all the time. Whacha lookn' at dad?)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:44 PM   #35
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Also, what is this going to do to Glo pricing?

The Glo was due for a price reduction, anyways.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:06 PM   #36
toomuchreading
Groupie
toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-T1
Text to speech would have been a real plus. I would have picked one up, but for that.
toomuchreading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:08 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Software that's not buggy and I would already have it on order.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:55 PM   #38
BWinmill
Nameless Being

I will definitely take a look at this when it hits store shelves. If it's good enough to read most PDFs (resolution and performance) I'll probably ditch my Touch and Transformer Pad.

As JSWolf mentioned, the software isn't all that buggy. Kobo also leaves their systems relatively open for developers. (Anyone with a knowledge of Unix can figure out how to install their own software, without rooting the device.)
Old 04-15-2013, 08:02 PM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
I will definitely take a look at this when it hits store shelves. If it's good enough to read most PDFs (resolution and performance) I'll probably ditch my Touch and Transformer Pad.

As JSWolf mentioned, the software isn't all that buggy. Kobo also leaves their systems relatively open for developers. (Anyone with a knowledge of Unix can figure out how to install their own software, without rooting the device.)
I'm saying the software most likely will be buggy. I've read the threads and the software is buggy on all prior Kobo models.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:14 PM   #40
jvanalst
jvanalst began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7, Kobo Glo, Kobo Mini, Kindle 3, Galaxy 10.1 Tab, iPhone 4s
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminrussell View Post
If you do want to pre-order you can't as the site is currently broken.
The webpage at https://www.kobo.com/onestepcheckout/ has resulted in too many redirects. At least that is what happens in Chrome, seems to work okay in IE.
I had this problem as well. I tracked it down to logging in through facebook. Log out on kobobooks.com and then log in on kobo.com with your kobo account.
jvanalst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:45 PM   #41
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Huh. "As such, it's a limited edition offering, one not destined to replace the flagship Glo."
I was talking about that exact phrase this afternoon, struck me as a little odd at first.

My take is that it's a "limited edition" in the same was as you get a "limited" version of a car. It's the top end version of a specific model range, more than it actually being a limited run, which I'd equate with a special edition.

In other words, marketing spiel to position it "above" the current models in the range and try and give it an air of exclusivity and entice people to pay a little extra for the premium experience.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:57 PM   #42
TongueTied
Zealot
TongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm saying the software most likely will be buggy. I've read the threads and the software is buggy on all prior Kobo models.
I wouldn't think there is any reason to say this. There were a few big bugs (most happening at the same time) that affected quite a few people but now there are hardly any. Due to those big bugs, Kobo got its a$$ kicked all over international social media, and the technical press. They would have to be really thick to try releasing a firmware again that wasn't thoroughly tested. The current firmware appears to be relatively stable. There are a few people experiencing issues but for the most part, there isn't a continuous outcry about bricked Kobos like there was 8 or 9 months ago.
TongueTied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:05 PM   #43
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
It is interesting that the Aura comes with 4GB onboard storage. As the screen resolution of readers increases ebooks are just going to get bigger and bigger, I don't think 2GB will be enough for most people for too much longer.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:20 PM   #44
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Based on personal experience, I would disagree.

Granted, my first Kobo was the Mini, but the only issue I've encountered is italics showing as bold in my preferred font. It's annoying, but nothing more.

If you're content to sync or load your books as they come from Kobo or the publisher / retailer, I think it's perfect.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:26 PM   #45
berklon
berklon is kind to children and small, furry animalsberklon is kind to children and small, furry animalsberklon is kind to children and small, furry animalsberklon is kind to children and small, furry animalsberklon is kind to children and small, furry animalsberklon is kind to children and small, furry animalsberklon is kind to children and small, furry animalsberklon is kind to children and small, furry animalsberklon is kind to children and small, furry animalsberklon is kind to children and small, furry animalsberklon is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
It is interesting that the Aura comes with 4GB onboard storage. As the screen resolution of readers increases ebooks are just going to get bigger and bigger, I don't think 2GB will be enough for most people for too much longer.
If you're talking .pdf's, then yes. But .epub's wont need to be bigger to take advantage of increased resolutions of the device. It's graphics/images that increase in size to take advantage of increased screen resolution - text is text no matter what the resolution. Your current epubs will automatically look sharper on this new device.
berklon is offline   Reply With Quote