Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-13-2010, 06:31 AM   #1
meem
A Reader who can think..!
meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi - Kindle DX (B004)
Qindle - Qt for Kindle (Now with PDF, DJVU, EPUB and CHM support)

Qindle A Qt embedded port for Amazon Kindle

A project is aimed at porting a Qt embedded framework to Amazon Kindle DX, and porting other useful applications to this framework.

It contains a viewer that can open PDF, DJVU, EPUB and CHM files, which makes this framework somewhat useful :-)

Installation:
""""""""""""""
This version doesn't need installation and won't affect the system. Just follow these steps:
  1. Have usbNetwork installed.
  2. Download qindle package.
  3. Extract into Kindle's flash drive.
That's all.

Usage:
"""""""""
Qindle is started by executing `usbNetwork twice (the first time usbnetwork starts normally).
PHP Code:
;debugOn
`usbNetwork
`usbNetwork 
You can return to the original system by selecting File--Quit.
There is no need to explain how to operate.

Hint: Imagine you have a computer without mouse. Use shortcut and Tab key wisely.

Key Binding:
""""""""""""""""
Some keys on Kindle have new functions.
  • Vol- --> Tab
  • Vol+ --> shift-Tab
  • menu --> pop-up menu
  • back --> Esc
  • Aa --> Ctrl
  • SYM --> Windows key

Download:

""""""""""""""
http://code.google.com/p/qindle/downloads/list

Source Code:
"""""""""""""""""
It's under GPL 3.0 and available on SVN:
PHP Code:
svn checkout http://qindle.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ qindle-read-only 
The Good:
"""""""""""""
1- You can install it in easy way: just copy extracted files on the root of Kindle storage.
2- Uninstallation is the same ease: just delete "local" folder and "usbnetwork" file from "usbnet" folder.
3- You will have a text editor, web browser. Vertual terminal (Command-line) and more.
4- Unicode filenames support.

The Bad:
"""""""""""
1- It still slower than original framework.
2- Can not use [AA] and [SYM] keys, so you can't write symbols like "@, -, +, (, ) ..etc"
3- I run it by executing usbnetwork command from SSH/Telnet, it isn't work with me by above way (by Kindle search commands).
It uses an old version of USBNetwork hack which I don't know which one is it.

References:
"""""""""""""""
http://the-ebook.org/forum/viewtopic...&postorder=asc

http://duokan.com/viewthread.php?tid=601&extra=page%3D1

Last edited by meem; 08-26-2010 at 09:17 AM.
meem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:14 AM   #2
Dzha
Dzha began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dxg
Quote:
Originally Posted by meem View Post
Qindle A Qt embedded port for Amazon Kindle

A
Sounds like the answer to our prayers!!!!!!!!
Any fb2 support?

How about porting FBReader to the Kindle? It is based on Qt.

BTW download link shows installs from April. I thought the new Okular-embedded version was introduced with the new Quindle release?

Last edited by Dzha; 08-13-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Dzha is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2010, 08:26 PM   #3
meem
meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.

Yes, Qindle contains Okular-Embedded.
I don't know about FBReader, but I hope that.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:06 AM   #4
ableeker
Enthusiast
ableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Hi!

I've installed the jailbreak, usbnetwork, and unpacked Qindle 0.1 to the Kindle storage of my DXG, but when I enter

;debugOn
`usbNetwork
`usbNetwork

nothing happens. What is supposed to happen? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!
ableeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:29 AM   #5
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
This is an old project that doesn't look like it is still under development (links posted to google source). Comments on russian forum said that it ran too slow to be usable and the output quality and rendering was very poor.

Not sure if the source is available for this project you are talking about. I think the google code page you posted is to an older project, QT/Sudoku, not this one, but I could be wrong.

Last edited by curstpriest; 12-04-2010 at 10:44 AM.
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2010, 11:04 AM   #6
meem

Same problem with me, because the old of USBNetwork script.

But here the solution in another version of topic:
http://mobileread.com/forums/showpos...3&postcount=12
Old 12-06-2010, 07:20 PM   #7
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Is it XCHM? Does it support XCHM tables (unlike the FBReader)?
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:58 PM   #8
meem

It supports CHM but I don't remeber if it XCHM, I think it's not.
FBReader now is a better alternative.
I didn't found the author until now.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:49 PM   #9
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
It supports CHM but I don't remeber if it XCHM, I think it's not.
Does it support CHM tables? (a common problem in FBReader). XChm does support them.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:31 AM   #10
T3rmInAt0r
T3rmInAt0r began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
in Kindle 3?

Hey, you may have already answered before, or on another thread (which I couldn't find).

Can I use the same on Kindle 3? Is there any other separate procedure?

Thanx,
Termy
T3rmInAt0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:31 AM   #11
h1uke
Zealot
h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: dxg, k3w,k4nt,kpw
Quote:
do you mean the author of FBReader?
h1uke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 06:14 AM   #12
meem

No, I was mean the author of Qindle.

There is another alternative: Duokan OS for Kindle.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:28 AM   #13
h1uke
Zealot
h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: dxg, k3w,k4nt,kpw
Quote:
BTW, Qindle binary components can be run as is on fbKindle's Qt platform.
I'm surprised that nobody tried this before. pdf and djvu viewers and, maybe,
arora web browser are certainly a "good to have".

More as it happens,

h1uke
h1uke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 03:20 PM   #14
meem

Yes, it's really a great idea.
You just need to execute the following command:
PHP Code:
    # Start Qindle:

/bin/sh /mnt/us/local/bin/qindle.sh 
Or put it in some script launcher.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:49 PM   #15
turntherage
turntherage began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
No, I was mean the author of Qindle.

Glad that you posted this. I think I found my new go to Kindle browser, thanks for the link. It has been really amazing to me how a simple change like picking a new browser can help with things like running a targeted email marketing campaign via my tablet device. Thanks so much for the recommendation.

Last edited by turntherage; 07-27-2011 at 10:56 AM.
turntherage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
djvu, epub, qindle, qt framework, usbnetwork