Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-01-2009, 10:13 AM   #1
wilhelm_m
wilhelm_m began at the beginning.

Device: prs-600?
Question PRS-600 on linux and a few other questions

Hi,

I've just about decided that my first ebook reader is going to be a 600. However, before I jump the gun, I was wondering if any of you could share some insight on it. I have a few specific questions.

First of all, I'm primarily using a linux based OS, and I was wondering whether that would pose a problem. Specifically, I'm wondering whether the device will show up as a mass storage device to which I can simply drag and drop my ebooks, or if I need some Mac/Windows specific software. Wikipedia says the 505 works as a mass storage device, but it doesn't seem to mention the 600. I have Windows 5.1 and Mac OS 10 on another hdd - either which I guess I'll use for firmware updates - but for day to day use, having to reboot to add books is a deal breaker for me.

Secondly, I was wondering if there is any directory-respecting image browser for it. As it is, I like to read japanese comics, and these usually come as images stored in directories sorted by volume and chapter. Would this work out of the box, or would I have to convert the images and directories to some other format? If so, is there some convenient software to do this?

Finally, is there a limit to the size of the sd-cards the device takes?

On a more general note, how do you figure the reader is for technical text books? One of the primary reasons I'm investing in an ebook reader is to leviate the cost of my education somewhat (about $500 in text books just this semester =(). I'm opting for the 600 specifically because I need to annotate the text I'm reading, and also because I need highlighting. Do these feautures work satisfactory, and do they work with pdfs, or are they more of the gimmicky kind? Anyone with any experience using ebook readers in technical/engineering education who could comment on it? Any other suggestions apart from the 600?

I hope you'll forgive me if I'm asking anything too obvious. As mentioned earlier this will be the first time I'll get my hands on a reader, and I don't have any experience with them what so ever. Normally I'd try to play with one in a store, but I'm from Norway, and these things are far from common here. Can't really afford to go wrong either, given the shipping rates across the Atlantic.

Thank you very much for your time. =)
wilhelm_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:06 PM   #2
Nvidiot
Connoisseur
Nvidiot began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilhelm_m View Post
Hi,

I've just about decided that my first ebook reader is going to be a 600. However, before I jump the gun, I was wondering if any of you could share some insight on it. I have a few specific questions.

First of all, I'm primarily using a linux based OS, and I was wondering whether that would pose a problem. Specifically, I'm wondering whether the device will show up as a mass storage device to which I can simply drag and drop my ebooks, or if I need some Mac/Windows specific software. Wikipedia says the 505 works as a mass storage device, but it doesn't seem to mention the 600. I have Windows 5.1 and Mac OS 10 on another hdd - either which I guess I'll use for firmware updates - but for day to day use, having to reboot to add books is a deal breaker for me.
I have the 700, which is a regular mass-storage device as well, and the 600 should be too. Unfortunately I don't have the 600 myself so I can't be 100% certain, but it would not make sense if it wasn't a mass-storage device.
You can use Calibre to add books to the device, but only non-DRM books. If I'm not mistaken you can't add those at all on linux since you need Adobe Digital Editions for that, which is Windows and Mac only.

Quote:
Secondly, I was wondering if there is any directory-respecting image browser for it. As it is, I like to read japanese comics, and these usually come as images stored in directories sorted by volume and chapter. Would this work out of the box, or would I have to convert the images and directories to some other format? If so, is there some convenient software to do this?
You'd have to convert those, you could take a look at Calibre, but I have no experience with converting comics with it.

Quote:
Finally, is there a limit to the size of the sd-cards the device takes?
I believe it supports SDHC cards, which go up to 32GB, which should be WAY more than you need. (Remember, 640k is enough for everybody! )

Quote:
On a more general note, how do you figure the reader is for technical text books? One of the primary reasons I'm investing in an ebook reader is to leviate the cost of my education somewhat (about $500 in text books just this semester =(). I'm opting for the 600 specifically because I need to annotate the text I'm reading, and also because I need highlighting. Do these feautures work satisfactory, and do they work with pdfs, or are they more of the gimmicky kind? Anyone with any experience using ebook readers in technical/engineering education who could comment on it? Any other suggestions apart from the 600?
PDFs in general are a BAD format for ebook readers because they are optimized for paper size and ebook readers generally have smaller screens. Now the 600 will let you read half a page at a time, which works fine for most PDF documents out there. To optimize the PDFs further you could use one of the tools mentioned on this forum to remove the extra whitespace around it, which is in my experience usually enough to be able to read it.

Highlighting: If you stay on the reader with the highlights, it works great, especially with the stylus. Exporting is, according to some reports on this forum, not so great, it only exports the first bit of what you highlighted, not the entire highlighted section. It does of course export the notes you added to it.

Quote:
I hope you'll forgive me if I'm asking anything too obvious. As mentioned earlier this will be the first time I'll get my hands on a reader, and I don't have any experience with them what so ever. Normally I'd try to play with one in a store, but I'm from Norway, and these things are far from common here. Can't really afford to go wrong either, given the shipping rates across the Atlantic.

Thank you very much for your time. =)
That's what the forum is for I hope this helps you decide.
Nvidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2009, 05:10 PM   #3
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Adobe Digital Editions will work on linux if you use WINE or Crossover Office. You can use it to download DRM'ed books and then use Calibre to transfer them to your Sony reader. You do, however, need access to a windows PC in order to register the Sony device for the first time. After that you can just use linux.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:43 PM   #4
A4-
Connoisseur
A4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheese

Device: iRex iLiad v2
You might want to have a look at the iLiad and the iRex 1000. For manga and pdf's those devices are a whole lot better in usability. I've also read some comments from users who use those in court for note taking and stuff. They are a bit more expensive but in the long run for your use they are probably better suited.
A4- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:21 AM   #5
wilhelm_m
wilhelm_m began at the beginning.

Device: prs-600?
@Nvidiot
Thanks a bunch, that answered most of everything of what I was wondering about. =) I guess I can live with converting a few books, so long as the compatibility is there, and notes and highlighting work as good as you say.

As for the drm'ed books, I'm glad to hear I have the possibility with wine. However I tend to steer clear of drm'ed stuff as much as I can, so I'll probably make do without it.

When it comes the iRex readers -- yeah, I looked at them, and they seem fantastic. Unfortunately the asking price is more than twice of what I was looking to spend, so it's a no go at the moment. It would probably have been my first choice if I had the kongbucks, though. You're right that they seem better suited, however -- still, I churn through a lot of fiction in a year in addition to school material, so even if the 600 should prove suboptimal for text books, I think I'll be able to find a use for it still. And then there's the whole "testing-a-cool-new-gadget-right-now-rather-than-wait-half-a-year-to-see-if-iRex-drops" thing, which is always a factor. =)

In summary, thanks a lot. While perhaps not completely flawless, I think I'll go for the 600. Now just to wait until bh, or some other store shipping internationally, gets it in stock ...
wilhelm_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert