Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-03-2011, 09:46 AM   #1
Munner3000
Munner3000 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony, Kobo,IPad, Kobo Vox
Unhappy Kobo Vox

Has anyone figured out how to load books not purchased from Kobo to this new Ereader?? How about calibre???

Thanks very much!!
Munner3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:52 AM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
It's called sideloading, and it works for drm free ePUBS. I have my Calibre library as a Sugar Sync folder. In the Kobo app, I click on import books, and then choose the book I want. Other folks do it over USB as a cut and past/drag and drop. Folks use DropBox, too.

For books with Adobe ADE, use another reader program that supports it, like Aldiko.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2011, 10:49 AM   #3
msxman
Enthusiast
msxman began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox, kindle 2
From Calibre I convert to epub and save to disk- disk being the vox drive letter your pc gives it.

If you bought from amazon or barnes and noble, you can easily add the programs for their readers and dload them to there. The links with instructions are http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...pps-and-tools/
msxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:03 PM   #4
some1else
Enthusiast
some1else began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox, iPhone 4, Kindle 3G
I am having an issue with my new Vox, it won't import books off the micro SD card, keep getting "something went wrong" message. I can't drag and drop books from Adobe Digital Editions or Calibre because my computer does not recognize the ereader (but the Vox recognizes being connected to the computer) I emailed Kobo Help and it has been greater than 48 hours and no reply.

I am not a happy camper right now.
some1else is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:09 PM   #5
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
If you load the Aldiko reader you could use the Calibre server to load your books wirelessly and then move them to your Kobo app if you prefer to read them there
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2011, 07:17 PM   #6
some1else
Enthusiast

*****If you load the Aldiko reader you could use the Calibre server to load your books wirelessly and then move them to your Kobo app if you prefer to read them there ****

I'm not sure what that means, but I'll google Aldiko and go from there. Nothing to lose, I've already spent 2 days trying to get this Vox to work. :-(
Old 11-03-2011, 08:01 PM   #7
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by some1else View Post
I am having an issue with my new Vox, it won't import books off the micro SD card, keep getting "something went wrong" message. I can't drag and drop books from Adobe Digital Editions or Calibre because my computer does not recognize the ereader (but the Vox recognizes being connected to the computer) I emailed Kobo Help and it has been greater than 48 hours and no reply.

I am not a happy camper right now.

If they're DRM'ed, the reader can't unlock them unless the Kobo is authorized. ADE won't recognize the Vox to auth it?
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:17 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
ADE won't recognize the Vox to auth it?
According to this it's not compatible with ADE out of the box (big mistake IMO)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokee View Post
I spoke to Darrell today, who is a Customer Engagement Analyst at Kobo. He said that the Vox was not designed to be recognized by ADE - and they don't have any plans to make it be (although, I asked if he could ask the development team, as he sits in round-table discussions with them).

The overdrive app is available for download on the Vox. I was able to do it myself and I can read my library books from there. I would rather sideload my books to the Kobo app. from ADE so I can use Pulse and Reading Life for my library books, but alas - it is not to be. I complained about this to Darrell, so hopefully one day we'll be able to use ADE with the Vox...

A person could load Aldiko or Mantano on it to get ADE support.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 11-03-2011 at 09:04 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:37 PM   #9
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by some1else View Post
*****If you load the Aldiko reader you could use the Calibre server to load your books wirelessly and then move them to your Kobo app if you prefer to read them there ****

I'm not sure what that means, but I'll google Aldiko and go from there. Nothing to lose, I've already spent 2 days trying to get this Vox to work. :-(
Here's the basics...
Set up Calibre as a catalogue in Aldiko and use the Calibre server to download to the Vox wirelessly. Name the catalogue whatever you want (I always use "Calibre" for this source) and then enter the catalogue url.
Use this format for the URL: http://xxx.xxx.x.xxx:80xx
192.168.1.xxx is the IP address
80xx is for the port Calibre uses (usually 8080), you can check that in the Calibre preferences in the Sharing over the Net menu.

Works for me every time I want to load a book. Apparently you can move the book to the Kobo app if you prefer to read on that one. I haven't tried that, someone else has posted the process in another thread.
In the Aldiko settings you can set up your Adobe Digital Editions id so that you can open any DRMd books that you had in Calibre. To get there tap on the Vox's Home button (the middle icon on the bottom of the screen) from within the Aldiko Catalogue menu.

Last edited by Cdesja5; 01-27-2012 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Add ADE info
Old 11-04-2011, 03:39 PM   #10
Cdesja5
Wizard

Has anyone tried and succeeded in using the Calibre server? Just curious as to whether my instructions are clear enough!
Old 11-04-2011, 05:30 PM   #11
some1else
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
Has anyone tried and succeeded in using the Calibre server? Just curious as to whether my instructions are clear enough!
no, sorry it was way over my head. i got aldiko loaded on the Vox, ADE recognizes the aldiko when I plu into computer, I dragged and dropped epubs to aldiko...but they don't show up on vox when I open aldiko.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:15 PM   #12
Cdesja5
Wizard

Open your kobo app using the Library icon, tap the Home button at the bottom of the Vox, and tap Import Content, then Start and the app will search for the ebooks you just copied to your SD card. Select the ones you want to import and voila! You can read them in the Kobo app. I was able to move several books I had put into Aldiko into the Kobo app to read...
Hope this helps!

Last edited by Cdesja5; 11-04-2011 at 06:25 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:26 PM   #13
some1else
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
Open your kobo app using the Library icon, tap the Home button at the bottom of the Vox, and tap Import Content, then Start and the app will search for the ebooks you just copied to your SD card. Select the ones you want to import and voila! You can read them in the Kobo app.
Hope this helps!
thanks but no ... that's where I first started, it looks like it's importing and the pink bar goes across but everytime I get is an error stating "Something went wrong and we could not import all of your items. Please try again."

and now 72 hrs and still NO response from Kobo Help ... grrr
Old 11-04-2011, 06:42 PM   #14
Cdesja5
Wizard

Have you tried to contact Darryl? ddiljohn@kobo.com
He definitely replies as quickly as he is able (he must be swamped by now with all the referrals he's gotten)
Or have you tried a hard reset (on/off button and + volume hold for 10 seconds)?
Last resort, return this unit to the store where you got it and get a new one? I feel really bad for you! Nothing worse than having a reader and not being able to read!
Old 11-04-2011, 07:00 PM   #15
some1else
Enthusiast

tried hard reset and also did factory reset ... is Darryl with kobo help? does he moderate these forums?

Tags
ereader issues, kobo, vox