Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 10-15-2007, 03:06 PM   #1
techReader
techReader began at the beginning.

Device: new Iliad owner!
MobiPocket problem with big files on iLiad?

Greetings,

I tried downloading and reading Exuprey's "The Little Prince" in mobipocket format (from here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=little+prince), and it looks fine on the PC mobipocket reader, but on the iLiad it shows up with a large X in a circle, saying some "unknown error" occurred. Not even page one displays. Is this most likely due to a size constraint, or the illustrations?

Any guesses? Has anybody else here tried that doc? Other downloads I've done today work fine, all out of the mobipocket stack.

It's hard to figure out "the unknown", since by definition, we don't know what it is.
Thanks in advance for any advice. I'm new at this, and was hoping to impress other people with a couple of great works on the iLiad.

Cheers,
T.
techReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 12:50 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I got the same error, but it went away when I renamed the file from "Exupéry_The Little Prince.prc" to "Exupery_The Little Prince.prc". So something is problematic about the "é".

This does not happen with FBReader, which was able to open the original file from its BOOKS+ file selector.

Note that this file at 2.5MB is about typical for an illustrated book. I tried an 11MB .prc file and it worked. So it isn't file size or illustrations that are the problem.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2007, 06:07 AM   #3
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
It is definately a character problem with the filename.
I have opened much larger files before.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 06:37 AM   #4
techReader

I actually never thought of that, and I am quite surprised that a product made and sold worldwide has problems with accented characters!

Do you know if it also has problems with accented characters inside the documents?

Only had my iLiad for a few days, and other than this small glitch and one surprise lock up on the device, I love it so far.

Thanks to both of you.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:50 AM   #5
techReader

Ok - just wanted to record this here, so that anyone else looking for it can also find the answer -
I tried to move the file to the iLiad and then rename it. There was no error on the rename function and the filename looked fine, but the book would still not open.

You must rename the accented characters out of the filename BEFORE you push the file to the iLiad.
Advert
Old 10-16-2007, 06:52 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by techReader View Post
Do you know if it also has problems with accented characters inside the documents?
No, definitely not. Many of the MobiPocket books I've created use accented characters, and they're fine on the iLiad.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 05:43 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by techReader View Post
I actually never thought of that, and I am quite surprised that a product made and sold worldwide has problems with accented characters!

Only had my iLiad for a few days, and other than this small glitch and one surprise lock up on the device, I love it so far.

Thanks to both of you.
The problem is not with the reader per se but with the file system. It is not a legal file system character. The books themselves can contain these characters.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote