Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-14-2010, 11:20 AM   #1
wild one
wild one began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
NOT charge accu via USB

Hi there!

It disturbs me that every time I connect the 650 with a USB hub, charging starts.

I want that switched off, because I want to charge the accu with an external charger only when it is empty.

Do you know how to switch the USB charging off?
wild one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:35 AM   #2
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
There isn't... it is designed to charge when plugged into a computer... these batteries are not subject to the "memory" effects of earlier batteries and are quite happy with little charge bursts when plugged in for data transfer...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2010, 11:59 AM   #3
wild one

I know, there is no "memory" effect to lithium-ion batteries, but even these need to be totally emptied to extend their life from time to time. That is what I want to do.

Due to the fact that I have to plug my 650 to a USB hub every one or two days, the accu will never be totally emptied. Far from that. No good!

So I want USB charging to be switched off. I know that it can be done, my WinMo smartphone can be adjusted not to be charged.

Yep, the 650 doesn't have an OS like WinMo, but my PC does, so it should be possible to solve the problem the other way round by unswitching the charging function on my PC.

And, I am sure, there is a way to switch it off on the 650, you only have to dig deep into the firmware.

I didn't! Did you?

Or do you know a solution to stop charging from the PCs side?
Old 11-14-2010, 12:33 PM   #4
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I hesitate to say the words I'd like to so I'll just say "RUBBISH" If you bother to check lithium battery technology, it actually recommends that you shouldn't deep discharge... try researching with the battery manufacturers, something I did years ago when this type of battery was released. Still, if you want to go ahead and try to switch of a fundamental hardware function in your computer then good luck... and we'll all be fascinated by your progress reports.

Oh, and my lithium batteries that are in regular use, have never been deep discharged and some devices are over 5 years old and still functioning perfectly... even the long term usage specs state that if not using for a long period (6 month+) then switch off with a half charge on the battery rather than none...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild one View Post
I know, there is no "memory" effect to lithium-ion batteries, but even these need to be totally emptied to extend their life from time to time. That is what I want to do.

Due to the fact that I have to plug my 650 to a USB hub every one or two days, the accu will never be totally emptied. Far from that. No good!

So I want USB charging to be switched off. I know that it can be done, my WinMo smartphone can be adjusted not to be charged.

Yep, the 650 doesn't have an OS like WinMo, but my PC does, so it should be possible to solve the problem the other way round by unswitching the charging function on my PC.

And, I am sure, there is a way to switch it off on the 650, you only have to dig deep into the firmware.

I didn't! Did you?

Or do you know a solution to stop charging from the PCs side?
Old 11-14-2010, 05:17 PM   #5
wild one

If all that is "rubbish", then why did Microsoft for example implement a switch into its Windows Mobile for smartphones saying:

When device is turned on, do not charge the battery when connected to the PC. ???

I think they mean lithium-ion batteries, don't they?

This proves also that USB charging can be switched via software.
Advert
Old 11-14-2010, 06:28 PM   #6
elcreative
Wizard

So why haven't other mobiles that connect to PCs got the same thing? Using a Windows device as a proof of concept is not exactly the most convincing argument... and it says when the device is switched on. Also if switched by software then how, haven't you found out yet... Sorry, I'd rather go by battery manufacturers' info and many years experience. And how does that square with mp3 players like iPods which have lithium batteries and work perfectly happily when plugged into charger/amp/speaker units...

You are, of course, welcome to do things your way as we have the good fortune to live in a free society (assuming you also are in that position, apologies if a mistaken assumption).
Old 11-14-2010, 08:23 PM   #7
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Here's a link to an article from batteryuniversity.com that talks about charging lithium ion batteries:
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a..._ion_batteries

elcreative is right--there is no reason to discharge lithium ion batteries completely. In fact, they have built in technology to stop them from fully discharging as this is actually bad for them. The only reason to run them down to close to zero once in a great while is that it helps make the battery power monitor on the device more accurate.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:56 AM   #8
wild one

Okay, you got me.

One last question.

What for did MS give their WinMo users the option to charge or not charge as mentioned before, keeping in mind that it is about modern lithium-ion batteries?
Old 11-15-2010, 11:21 AM   #9
Tevy
Tevy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600, PRS-650
A reason could be that some winmo phone owners connect their phone to their laptops not plugged to the mains, and do not want their phone draw the laptop battery while syncing.
Tevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 03:44 PM   #10
jpuntd
jpuntd doesn't litterjpuntd doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook Pro 902
Makes perfect sense to me. I didn't know that. Up to now I have made sure to completely discharge my mp3 player and notebook from time to time...
jpuntd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 03:53 PM   #11
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I used to discharge my mp3 player, thinking it had a memory effect, as well - glad to know I can top it off before a trip without throwing off the battery indicator!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote