Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 12-09-2010, 05:26 PM   #1
Otter
Connoisseur
Otter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS-500, PRS-505, PRS-650, ipod Touch, ipad 2, NC, Kindle Scribe
SD card books vanish from shelves/collections

When I add a book I bought from BN (or sideloaded content stored on internal memory) to "my shelves" it shows up on "my shelves" after a reboot.

When I add a sideloaded book from my micro SD card it shows up in "my shelves" until I turn off the Nook Color but is gone from "my shelves" when I go back to them after turning the until back on. The shelf/collection name is still there, but the books are not and the book count next to the shelves shows (0).

Anyone else encountered this?
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:14 PM   #2
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
Yes, I thought I did something wrong and spent an hour loading them up a second time, then rebooted so all the covers showed up and they were gone. I finally had to pull them off the SD card and back into Nook Color's memory. Hopefully an update will fix this.
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:24 PM   #3
Otter
Connoisseur

Thanks, glad to hear I am not alone, although it doesn't seem to be a problem many are running into. Please let me know if you see it fixed...right now it's a deal-breaker for me not being able to have my sd books remain on the shelves after a reboot.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:18 PM   #4
Otter
Connoisseur

Folks on the B&N boards are saying v 1.0.1 is rolling out today for the NC. Does anyone know if this update fixes the vanishing shelves issue for books stored on the sd card when the unit is powered off and on?

Many thanks-
Old 12-24-2010, 09:14 AM   #5
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well our little experiment worked until I added another book shelf and book. I decided to test it by removing books from B&N memory and adding them to the SD card instead, this made it forget the one book I had saved on a shelf to the SD card. So I'm going to say its still a no go.

Although if your rooting, 5 gigs is a lot of memory to hold books. You can use the SD card to hold music, Apps, etc so it may not be bad. I realized after I had loaded on about 200 of my ebooks I've bought over the years that I haven't even put a dent in the 5 gigs it has free.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:53 PM   #6
vagabond1
vagabond1 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: nook color
I found that decreasing the size of the library loaded on the SD card solved the "disappearing bookshelf" problem. Try limiting the number of books to less than 200. If all works well, you can try adding more.

I also found that having a large number of books on the SD card dramatically slowed the system's performance when browsing/ selecting a new book. Better to keep the main library on computer, and just move books I'll likely need in the near future to the Nook.
vagabond1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:34 AM   #7
Synergi
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabond1 View Post
I found that decreasing the size of the library loaded on the SD card solved the "disappearing bookshelf" problem. Try limiting the number of books to less than 200. If all works well, you can try adding more.

I also found that having a large number of books on the SD card dramatically slowed the system's performance when browsing/ selecting a new book. Better to keep the main library on computer, and just move books I'll likely need in the near future to the Nook.
I don't think thats it. I had one book on the shelf and I added 2 more and poof, they all vanished.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:07 PM   #8
mikehill33
mikehill33 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
this is a code issue, and one that needs to be fixed via a system update. The device memory is not writing a persistent index and assignment of the books to shelves.

similar problem could exist in the mobile phone world every time you inserted a microsd card, but it looks like the Nook programmers left this feature out.
mikehill33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:29 AM   #9
dangerousdee
dangerousdee began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Yes I have that same issue and it's driving me batty. The shelves would be nice to use since I can't use my sideloaded books on the home page which is really not user practical at this time. In fact I came to write the same complaint in hopes of finding a solution.
dangerousdee is offline   Reply With Quote