Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-09-2010, 06:37 AM   #1
Soldim
Not so important
Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 4, iPad, Kobo Glo 4
"We will stop printing the New York Times sometime in the future"

Interesting article, with some intriguing quotes from Chairman and publisher Arthur Sulzberger.
Soldim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:11 AM   #2
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I can't get the article to open, servers may be getting hit, or I'm getting lousy service from my ISP (entirely possible).
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2010, 07:21 AM   #3
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
I can't get the article to open, servers may be getting hit, or I'm getting lousy service from my ISP (entirely possible).
Maybe you should be reading the printed edition of the NYT.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:37 AM   #4
Soldim
Not so important
Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 4, iPad, Kobo Glo 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Here's the relevant quote:

"Asked about his response to the suggestion that the NYT might print its last edition in 2015, Sulzberger said he saw no point in making such predictions and said all he could say was that "we will stop printing the New York Times sometime in the future, date TBD."
Soldim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:40 AM   #5
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Opened for me, Carl. The prediction is made in the last line that the NYT will not be printed at some point in the future. Now, you can't be more specific than that, eh?

Sulzberger probably stuns dinner guests with other earth-shattering news like Zippo will cease production of cigarette lighters at some point in the future or that Madonna will stop singing and dancing at some point in the future or that neckties will go out of fashion some time in the future or that he will die and stop making such utterly worthless remarks ... at some time in the future. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2010, 05:26 AM   #6
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
Opened for me, Carl. The prediction is made in the last line that the NYT will not be printed at some point in the future. Now, you can't be more specific than that, eh?

Sulzberger probably stuns dinner guests with other earth-shattering news like Zippo will cease production of cigarette lighters at some point in the future or that Madonna will stop singing and dancing at some point in the future or that neckties will go out of fashion some time in the future or that he will die and stop making such utterly worthless remarks ... at some time in the future. Neil
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:26 AM   #7
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I think it doesn't take much of a futurist to predict that at some point, decades from now, no magazine or newspaper will be "printed" in the traditional sense. They will continue to be "printed" but the definition of what print will be enlarged to include the electronic versions. What Sulzberger and others obviously mean is that a paper edition will cease, and Mobile Readers have been making those predictions for longer than I have been a MR member.

I know that I plan to help the New York Times along that path in the near future. I've been a print subscriber for decades but that will end shortly after I buy my Sony 950 and verify that the electronic version is truly a duplicate of the print version and that it really is readable on the 950. I've been wanting to make the switch for some time, but haven't been satisfied with the samples I've tried on my 505 or on Kindles.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:46 PM   #8
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
The question is, "Why will they stop printing it?" Because all media will be electronic? Because of nuclear apocalypse? Because people will have become too stupid to read? Because the sun has gone nova?

I need details!
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:37 PM   #9
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
The question is, "Why will they stop printing it?" Because all media will be electronic? Because of nuclear apocalypse? Because people will have become too stupid to read? Because the sun has gone nova?

I need details!
The print edition will close down after 80% of the US population has their government-mandated brainchips installed, and the NYT works out a deal with Congress to upload their version of the news directly to people's brains, for the small cost of .05% of our income tax.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote