Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > iSilo/X

Notices

Old 10-31-2002, 04:02 AM   #1
vmax
vmax began at the beginning.

Red face

I really like the ease of use of AvantGo, no desktop program to schedule and I can add/remove chanels via the web.

So my wishlist for iSilo is:
- Synchronisation at HotSync
- A way to put my .ixl on (my) site with a (php) web interface so that I can configure it even when on the road

If I had the time I'd do that last bit myself as I am working with xml and I know my way around php but with my current family situation and my workload I'm gonna have to wait till my stocks hit the sky again and I can retire

Other than that iSilo is a very worthy AvantGo replacement and more!
Old 10-31-2002, 07:52 AM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Add to that list:

- multithreaded downloading.
Advert
Old 11-19-2002, 06:22 PM   #3
Agrajag
Connoisseur
Agrajag knows what time it isAgrajag knows what time it isAgrajag knows what time it isAgrajag knows what time it isAgrajag knows what time it isAgrajag knows what time it isAgrajag knows what time it isAgrajag knows what time it isAgrajag knows what time it isAgrajag knows what time it isAgrajag knows what time it is

Device: Nook Simple Touch
This is the major big one for me as well. As an ex-AvantGo fan, this is big. I hate having to do this as two steps and XP makes it a pain to use Scheduler.

Once this is supported, assuming it happens (and it should of course only be an option) then Darren can focus on performance improvements to it all. AvantGo manages to get the content converted very quickly. Obviously it's possible and I don't think iSilo is far off but it is slower for all comparable content.
Old 01-01-2003, 03:54 AM   #4
specific
specific began at the beginning.

Surely somebody could slap together a quick hack job of a conduit, forcing a run command like "C:\Program Files\iSilo\iSiloX\iSiloX.exe" -x "C:\My Documents\iSiloWWW.ixl" -u" before the isilo .pdbs are synced/installed?
I don't mind having to manually configure each of my isilox entries, but I'd really like to only have it download at hotsync like avantgo did (for the 2 hours I had it installed before I found isilo)
Old 01-02-2003, 09:19 AM   #5
saw9000
Zealot
saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

I agree on the performance improvements. I would like to see the conversion process go faster. However, if iSilo is to run with a conduit at HotSync, the developer will have to tread very carefully to avoid stepping on any of AvantGo's patents. I'm not sure how many of those there are, or what their nature, but it seems that the very process of delivering content whenever the device is synced is covered. Further, I would not be surprised if they were to attempt to enforce, given that everyone in this day and age is looking for an easy buck.
Scott
Advert
Old 02-09-2003, 11:11 PM   #6
allengoodman
allengoodman began at the beginning.

How about wireless downloads. Avantgo can do this. I can go in with a cell phone and get my Avantgo info. Is this possible with Isilo? Thanks, Al
Old 02-10-2003, 12:18 AM   #7
cbulock
cbulock began at the beginning.

Device: Clie NX60
Another feature that is cool in Avantgo is the ability to fill out forms and have them sent out on your next Hotsync. I would like to see that in a future version of ISilo.
Old 02-10-2003, 03:54 PM   #8
dgoeg
dgoeg began at the beginning.

Wireless download is the only thing I miss with isilox compared to avantgo.

But anyway, I don't often use that.
Old 02-13-2003, 09:57 PM   #9
Agrajag
Connoisseur
Agrajag knows what time it isAgrajag knows what time it isAgrajag knows what time it isAgrajag knows what time it isAgrajag knows what time it isAgrajag knows what time it isAgrajag knows what time it isAgrajag knows what time it isAgrajag knows what time it isAgrajag knows what time it isAgrajag knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally posted by saw9000@Jan 2 2003, 02:19 PM
I agree on the performance improvements. I would like to see the conversion process go faster. However, if iSilo is to run with a conduit at HotSync, the developer will have to tread very carefully to avoid stepping on any of AvantGo's patents. I'm not sure how many of those there are, or what their nature, but it seems that the very process of delivering content whenever the device is synced is covered. Further, I would not be surprised if they were to attempt to enforce, given that everyone in this day and age is looking for an easy buck.
Scott
I don't believe this is a problem. Mazingo hotsync's as do dozens of other commercial apps. Have you seen Showtimes? It has a beatiful conduit and it's a pretty basic app so nice conduits are possible.
Old 02-13-2003, 09:59 PM   #10
Agrajag
Connoisseur

And before I forget, I tried to convey that, regardless of dislike for AvantGo, it is the major player in this arena and it's what any site plucking tools are going to be compared to so it's essential that all the core functionality of AvantGo is matched. Otherwise iSilo will never really reach mass appeal.
Old 02-14-2003, 11:51 AM   #11
bdjmobile
bdjmobile began at the beginning.

I'm not against the enhancements that are expressed here, but please don't do them in a way that removes the things I find superior to avantgo. The avantgo caching and wireless support are both done by forcing you through their server - and I find that that raises problems:

1) you are dependent on their web service being available - and even they are subject to service load issues at times. ( plus, who pays for the running of the servers? Avantgo does this via subscriptions or advertiser support - two things I can do without).

2) their server cannot reach back through corporate firewalls to sites inside a company (unless my company purchases extra software or services), nor can it sync stuff on my hard drive.

So in short, the things about Avantgo that provide those extra services are precisely why I moved from Avantgo to iSilo - please don't saddle me with those same limitations.
Old 03-21-2003, 09:23 AM   #12
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
Quote:
Originally posted by allengoodman
How about wireless downloads. Avantgo can do this. I can go in with a cell phone and get my Avantgo info. Is this possible with Isilo? Thanks, Al
Did you also know that AvantGo actively employs "web bugs" on every page it returns to the user, to track their users and usage? I just sync'd with AvantGo in POSE, and noticed a few bad links. Further digging revealed a suspiscious link to:

http://logc2.xiti.com/hit.xiti?s=432...&p=WWW_mobiles

Which is a 1x1 pixel transparent gif, a web bug. Now why would they need that in their pages, you have to wonder.

Along with all of the other security issues with the AvantGo client, their overly-restrictive policies, ridiculous pricing model (for their server product), and the other unattractive features that other clients surpass it in, you have to wonder why people still continue to choose it over the better alternatives.
Old 03-21-2003, 12:16 PM   #13
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally posted by hacker
Did you also know that AvantGo actively employs "web bugs" on every page it returns to the user, to track their users and usage? I just sync'd with AvantGo in POSE, and noticed a few bad links. Further digging revealed a suspiscious link to:

http://logc2.xiti.com/hit.xiti?s=432...&p=WWW_mobiles

Which is a 1x1 pixel transparent gif, a web bug. Now why would they need that in their pages, you have to wonder.

Along with all of the other security issues with the AvantGo client, their overly-restrictive policies, ridiculous pricing model (for their server product), and the other unattractive features that other clients surpass it in, you have to wonder why people still continue to choose it over the better alternatives.
Very interesting! Yes, some AvantGo Content Provider told me that this is actually one of the few reasons why he likes people to use AvantGo instead of another browser. This way they can exactly track people's browser usage
Old 03-28-2003, 09:51 PM   #14
allengoodman
allengoodman began at the beginning.

I guess the hotsync is the biggest thing. I have never been able to get the scheduler to work in XP. Therefore, first thing in the morning I hit Isilo to convert. Then later I hotsync. I really like the autoscrolling.