Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-29-2014, 05:58 PM   #1
DaveCanRead
Enthusiast
DaveCanRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveCanRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveCanRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveCanRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveCanRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveCanRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveCanRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveCanRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveCanRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveCanRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveCanRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Paperwhite
Reader for College Textbooks

I'm looking for a reader with number one priority is reading pdf's, kindle, and web etext for college textbooks.

Due to price constraints I am considering the kindle fire hd 8.9 and kindle fire hdx 7.

I am thinking the 8.9 size would be better than getting the newer hdx 7.

I was also considering the dell venue 8 pro or upcoming thinkpad 8 at one time.

While the Ipad mini is a nice device, for what I want, I do not believe it's price is worth it.
DaveCanRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:28 AM   #2
jscarbo
Addict
jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW2, Nook HD+, Nexus 7
I agree that a larger screen tablet is probably the best choice for PDF and web articles and for books with charts and graphics. If price is an important consideration, you may want to consider the Nook HD+. The Kindle for Android app works fine for reading Kindle books on it. Before making a decision, you should also check to see if the textbooks you need are available in a compatible format. Many are only available for specific devices.
jscarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2014, 10:23 AM   #3
DaveCanRead
Enthusiast
DaveCanRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveCanRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveCanRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveCanRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveCanRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveCanRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveCanRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveCanRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveCanRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveCanRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveCanRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for your reply.

I will be taking different classes over the years and instructors will not be staying with the same textbooks. I don't believe it's possible for me to predict what books I will need to be reading.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:56 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Your choices seem very good to me. The iPad (NOT the iPad Mini) is the best PDF reader around, to my mind, but for the price-conscious buyer, the devices you've suggested seem very sensible.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:45 PM   #5
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
There is the Nexus 10, too, as an alternative to a non-mini iPad.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2014, 12:27 PM   #6
hel
Sorceress
hel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to behold

Device: Onyx Air2&Nova 3C,Kindle oasis1,Kobo Forma,iPad pro 12.9&9.7,and more.
I have both of them, big and small iPad. But I prefer to read pdf from iPad mini not from iPad3. Mini is quite enough for most of pdf. Of course I can find some unreadable pdf on 9.7". But mini is so easier to hold...
hel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 01:03 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I too do most of my reading from my iPad Mini. I do find my iPad 3 to be a lot better, though, for PDFs which are formatted for an A4/Letter page size.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:06 PM   #8
DaveCanRead
Enthusiast

Is there a better tablet than the kindle fire hd 8.9 around the same size and price tag?
Or what quality ~8" tablet competes with fire hd 8.9 in the same prize ballpark I should compare it to?

I just tried out Amazons cloud reader. I found it to work out great on the macbook air 13".
I will go with that and just deal with the pdf books until textbooks become better integrated with e-readers. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited by DaveCanRead; 02-02-2014 at 04:49 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:48 AM   #9
BatmansDouble
BatmansDouble can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBatmansDouble can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBatmansDouble can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBatmansDouble can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBatmansDouble can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBatmansDouble can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBatmansDouble can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBatmansDouble can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBatmansDouble can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBatmansDouble can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBatmansDouble can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo Aura
Sure, it's nice to read from an iPad or whatever, but you read textbooks to learn, thus you need to engage with the text (active reading) which requires you to take notes. And other than annotating the physical book itself, typing your notes on a laptop is the next best thing. Inputting information into an iPad is painful...
BatmansDouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:32 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmansDouble View Post
Sure, it's nice to read from an iPad or whatever, but you read textbooks to learn, thus you need to engage with the text (active reading) which requires you to take notes. And other than annotating the physical book itself, typing your notes on a laptop is the next best thing. Inputting information into an iPad is painful...
Inputting information into an iPad is incredibly easy and effective using its speech to text capabilities. That's how I take all the notes for the essays in my Egyptology degree and it works beautifully.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:15 PM   #11
DaveCanRead
Enthusiast

I picked up my $99 kindle paperwhite 2 today. First ereader.
Going to play around with flippdf & k2pdfopt for pdf's.
Keeping an eye on the Nexus 8 coming out March - May 2014? for first tablet.
came close to getting hdx 7 or nexus 7.

Nice change from Apple. Not really apple fanboy, but 2010 iphone 4 was best product. and mac air 2013 for college student.