Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-19-2013, 02:10 AM   #571
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
Andy, if you have a working internet connection on your test machine with Kubrick, I can establish an SSH account on my server for you.
That would allow you to export the images/files to that server with a simple command (from Kubrick console):

Code:
ssh -i /media/cdrom/kubrick/resources/ssh_keys/id_kdebrick root@192.168.15.244 'dd if=/dev/mmcblk0p1' | ssh andy@<my_server_address> 'dd of=mmcblk0p1.img'
I can also prepare a modified version of getkernels that would be able to operate from Kubrick and upload the kernels to my server. You would execute it like this:

Code:
ssh andy@<my_server_address> 'cat getkernels' | bash -s
Or I can put everything in a single script:

Code:
ssh andy@<my_server_address> 'cat getall' | bash -s
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:40 AM   #572
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
@dsmid: Nope, that most probably won't work. To minimize the kernel size, Kubrick only includes 3 network drivers - the one needed to connect to the Kindle, and drivers for the AMD and Intel "hardware" found in virtual machines

That said, we're working on it via PM...
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2013, 09:02 AM   #573
SuperDuck
SuperDuck has much to be proud ofSuperDuck has much to be proud ofSuperDuck has much to be proud ofSuperDuck has much to be proud ofSuperDuck has much to be proud ofSuperDuck has much to be proud ofSuperDuck has much to be proud ofSuperDuck has much to be proud ofSuperDuck has much to be proud ofSuperDuck has much to be proud ofSuperDuck has much to be proud of

Device: K3
Hi Ixtab - just registered and popped in here to say a big thanks - your Kubrick tool worked like a charm and fixed my bricked Kindle 3 Keyboard - so you've saved me a stack having to buy a new one!

I'd like to donate to the Laos Literacy Project, but it looks like their webpage is offline ... not sure if this is a temporary measure.
SuperDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 03:41 PM   #574
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KFire HD, KFire, KTD 3g, KT, K4B, K4S, K3g, K3g SO, K2, K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Well - I simply don't know if the user partition is important or not on demo Kindles. I also doubt it, but you never know. Making a backup of the full disk image is simply the most conservative (literally!) option, because it's a bit-identical copy...
The user partition of K4 demo contains lot of interesting stuff (demo books etc.)
I doubt the demo mode would work without it.
I could be wrong, but I think what ixtab meant (and what I meant) was that partition itself, the boot sector, the directory structure, etc. may not be important, but all the contents definitely are.

Rather than totally derail the thread, we'll pursue this via email and PM. If we decide that the final results are of interest, we'll post them later.

SampleAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:23 AM   #575
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hehe... done. If anybody is interested in it, the files to create a demo Kindle Touch are here.

I've tested it, and it works. Essentially, it's a very restricted Kindle. There are quite a few interesting differences wrt to the full firmware, but I haven't yet taken a look at how they did that.

ATTENTION: a Kindle running in Demo mode seriously drains the battery.

Last edited by ixtab; 09-27-2013 at 07:47 PM.
Advert
Old 09-29-2013, 09:06 PM   #576
obican
obican began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
performs final actions failed i tried 4 times not worked for me and now on the diags screen freeze i stuck on this screen hard reset not working what should i do now ?

edit: i used mfgtool and it's working again pfff it was close i thought it will never work again. i want to jailbreak because all i want just KOReader pdf editor... is there a way to make it work ?

Last edited by obican; 09-29-2013 at 09:59 PM.
obican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:34 PM   #577
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
hmmm. Thats odd. I did one just a couple of days ago with this exact release.

Have you tried it on another computer?
I'm not the expert - just advising that the release handles Kindle Touch's okay
(in my case anywho)
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:01 PM   #578
obican
obican began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
hmmm. Thats odd. I did one just a couple of days ago with this exact release.

Have you tried it on another computer?
I'm not the expert - just advising that the release handles Kindle Touch's okay
(in my case anywho)

i'll try another comp tomorrow. actually it's not worked stable for me. first 4 try i pass step 3( -flashing- if i'm not wrong) just waited again and again i tried replug usb cables and reboot etc. and after 2 try it worked... but last step fails alltime...

edit: btw i'm using a cd i burned 16x speed without anyproblems.

Last edited by obican; 09-29-2013 at 11:12 PM.
obican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:06 AM   #579
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
right.

I used the DVD option but that shouldnt matter AFAIK.

the files are evidently there.

oddness
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:28 AM   #580
ixtab
(offline)

@obican: You didn't state exactly which options you checked (jailbreak, delete settings/content etc.). You may want to try checking ALL of them and see if the problem persists. If it still does, then try overwriting the firmware too.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:41 PM   #581
ram_barney
ram_barney began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
I have the same problem!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trex_daemon View Post
Right now I have no further idea what could have gone wrong.
Basically I've reflashed everything, but still doesn't boot.
I'm thinking to connect to the serial port, to check the kernel debug output. Maybe there i can do something.
But I need a 1.8V USB-Serial converter, which I have to order...

Any other ideas what I could do ?
Isn't there a way to write the kernel log to the SD partition to check it later (I can get to the debug menu, where I can mount the internal SD and it's visible from windows).
Dear trex_daemon!

I have the same problem with my Kindle Keyboard 3G as described in your post: it is getting stuck on loading 20% on start-up (on tree picture - same as your photo). I have gone thru all possible procedures, including Kubrick, and it didn't help.
My question is: did you find any solution to your problem? If yes, please, advise.

Thank you.

Ram Barney
ram_barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:52 PM   #582
C00LM4N
C00LM4N can extract oil from cheeseC00LM4N can extract oil from cheeseC00LM4N can extract oil from cheeseC00LM4N can extract oil from cheeseC00LM4N can extract oil from cheeseC00LM4N can extract oil from cheeseC00LM4N can extract oil from cheeseC00LM4N can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3
Hello guys!
My kindle suddenly dead.
It was fully charged, just lying on a table. And when I took it next time it stopped responding to any actions. Screen shows a blank list of books.
Connecting to PC or charger results in glowing yellow led. Windows detects the device as SE Blank Ringo. Battery if fully charged, >4 Volts.
I booted Kubrick and tried to unbrick it, but both flashing kernel and flashing main partition ends immidiately saying that all is ok.
I guess that the flash chip might be dead?
C00LM4N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:10 PM   #583
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by C00LM4N View Post
Hello guys!
My kindle suddenly dead.
It was fully charged, just lying on a table. And when I took it next time it stopped responding to any actions. Screen shows a blank list of books.
Connecting to PC or charger results in glowing yellow led. Windows detects the device as SE Blank Ringo. Battery if fully charged, >4 Volts.
I booted Kubrick and tried to unbrick it, but both flashing kernel and flashing main partition ends immidiately saying that all is ok.
I guess that the flash chip might be dead?
Not likely - the Linux kernel has to be running for the external storage to show up on anything.

More likely - its failing to fully come up in its "user mode".

Not sure what else you could tell without connecting to the serial port and reading the kernel messages.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:00 PM   #584
C00LM4N
C00LM4N can extract oil from cheeseC00LM4N can extract oil from cheeseC00LM4N can extract oil from cheeseC00LM4N can extract oil from cheeseC00LM4N can extract oil from cheeseC00LM4N can extract oil from cheeseC00LM4N can extract oil from cheeseC00LM4N can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Not likely - the Linux kernel has to be running for the external storage to show up on anything.

More likely - its failing to fully come up in its "user mode".

Not sure what else you could tell without connecting to the serial port and reading the kernel messages.
Thanks for reply.
By now I enabled COM-port on my motherboard and checked that it's ok using Hyper Terminal by sending some AT commands to my old com-port modem.
I cut a very old cellphone cable (RS232-to-TTL) and connected it to the kindle pins. I don't know whether I should connect Tx to Rx or Rx to Rx, etc. because I don't know if the schemes of kindle and my old cellphone are device-side or cable-side oriented, so I tried both.
Holding power switch for 30 sec, then pressing volume "-" makes no sense to com port output. But sometimes when I disconnect the wires and connect them again some meaningless symbols appear in the terminal, or even a lot of them run endlessly.
What am I doing wrong?
C00LM4N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:21 PM   #585
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Tx -> Rx, Rx -> Tx
and that should be 1.8 volt TTL levels.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote