Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-06-2007, 01:50 PM   #1
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
ASUSteK's answer to the Foleo: the Eee PC, and it's $200!

Here's one UMPC that has abandoned all pretense of being anything but an internet appliance, sure, it'll run Word, but they know you just want to read your e-mail, play Bejeweled and surf the web. They also know you want to not pay an arm and a leg for the privilege.
Quote:
Taipei, Taiwan, June 5, 2007 – Majority of activities conducted on the laptops today are Internet related. Whether it´s checking emails, reading news, communicating with others or simply utilizing online share spaces, Internet usage has become a big part of the daily computing operations - for both work and fun. To accommodate the increasing total Internet computing demands as well as growing number of users, both young and old, ASUS launches the revolutionary Eee PC to provide users with a new mobile Internet experience like never before.
And fairly decent specs as well:
Quote:
EeePC 701 Specification
Display:7"
CPU & Chipset: Intel mobile CPU & chipset
Communication: 10/100 Mbps Ethernet; 56K modem
WLAN: WiFi 802.11b/g
Graphic: Intel UMA
Memory: 512MB, DDR2-400
Storage: 4/ 8/ 16GB Flash
Webcam: 300K pixel video camera
Audio: Hi-Definition Audio CODEC; Built-in stereo speaker; Built-in microphone
Battery Life: 3hrs (4 cells: 5200mAh, 2S2P)
Dimension & Weight: 22.5 x 16.5 x 2.1~3.5cm, 0.89kg
They have a nice (if annoyingly large) flash presentation here, and the full press release is here.

Hat tip to Coolest-Gadgets.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 02:10 PM   #2
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
$200 is a killer price.

I almost feel sorry for Palm. Competition is getting fieeeeeerce...
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 03:46 PM   #3
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
ASUS is one of my favorite motherboards. I have used them for many years since I first started to build my own systems.

At $200 they could clean up.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 04:30 PM   #4
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Clean up you say?
Man they'll berry'em!
Where do I buy it?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 04:35 PM   #5
rmeister0
Addict
rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Ah...but does it have instant on?

Seriously, the price is good, but I shudder in horror at the idea of trying to run Windows XP on 512 mb ram. That had better be upgradable!
rmeister0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 04:37 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Clean up you say?
Man they'll berry'em!
Where do I buy it?
Easy, there, buddy, stop drooling on the keyboard.

I haven't found any release date speculation anywhere, save for one tidbit that mentions that the thing is supposed to designed for the Intel Penryn processors, which are due out some time late this (calendar) year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeister0 View Post
Seriously, the price is good, but I shudder in horror at the idea of trying to run Windows XP on 512 mb ram. That had better be upgradable!
I think those are the base model specs, rmeister0. presumably they'll have uprev models too. The SSD is supposed to speed things up quite a bit all by itself -- I saw somewhere that SanDisk's new 64 GB model would boot Vista in something like 30 seconds.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 05:37 PM   #7
Nightwing
Addict
Nightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enough

Device: Cowon A2 Dell x3i, Sony Reader & Eee PC!
From here it says it booted up in 15 seconds...

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=40076

and more info here...

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS9292516116.html
Nightwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 05:40 PM   #8
Nightwing
Addict
Nightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Ah...but does it have instant on?

Would, if I wanted to inflict a Windows, would try for W2k over XP...

Been seeing the sub threads of the flash demo at the Asus site is showing Safari screen shots....

Or could this be running the same version of Mac OS X thats in the iPhone? Now that is creepy!
Old 06-06-2007, 06:28 PM   #9
bojan
Enthusiast
bojan is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
512 MB RAM is more than enough for Win XP. Take a look at your Peak Commit Charge in TaskManager, I never go beyond 500 MB on my system, and I run all sort of applications on it.
bojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 06:36 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The battery life is what will be the downfall. 3 hours is a problem.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 07:53 PM   #11
MMascaro
Zealot
MMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheese

Device: HP mini 1035/Sony Reader/IPad
If the flash demo is an end poduction model it also has 4 USB and a VGA port on top of the 10/100 ethernet and SD card slot.
MMascaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 12:59 AM   #12
Nightwing
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The battery life is what will be the downfall. 3 hours is a problem.
I agree.. The VIA nanobook that pop out also gives 4.5 hours and has a 30 or 60 GB HD...

I like the concept behind this Asus one..
Old 06-07-2007, 07:00 AM   #13
branko
Connoisseur
branko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enough

Device: Palm Zire
With the short battery time, the price is indeed the only thing that makes this device attractive; and the price alone may not be enough to justify its purchase. I can see these things be used as thin clients in public spaces, especially if the casing is rugged.

Nevertheless, its introduction points to a hopeful change in mindset. First, the price. Subnotebooks and ultraportables have existed for a while, but usually they are hugely expensive -- Asus themselves introduced a 3,000 USD ultraportable recently; that's half a class full of 15 Eees.

Second, the price and format of the Eee, the VIA device and the Foleo suggest that manufacturers perceive a market where the required features have changed: less power, but with a keyboard and acting like a laptop instead of a PDA.

What I am trying to say is: even if these specific devices turn out to be not what people need, there will be similar devices that come closer.
branko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 07:30 AM   #14
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwing View Post
Would, if I wanted to inflict a Windows, would try for W2k over XP...

Been seeing the sub threads of the flash demo at the Asus site is showing Safari screen shots....

Or could this be running the same version of Mac OS X thats in the iPhone? Now that is creepy!
Interesting observation!

Since OS X is written in Unix do you think it would be possible to adapt it to this device? Or can Apple forbid it? As it is now it does 10 times more than the old Powerbook I still use once in a while.

This little bugger is cheaper than anything before it, even Palms!?! Take the cheapest Palm and add extras like a keyboard and software to match this one and the deed's done, way more expensive!

This will be the computer for third world economies. I can't see how they'll manage to produce enough, they'll beat the 'Big Mac' number of sales in two years if they can rack up the production.

Way to go Asus! I just hope this is no April fools type of joke or a stupid study to see how many you could sell.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 08:38 AM   #15
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Sounds like there're some details to be worked out, but this sounds like the kind of thing I'd take on vacation instead of a laptop! I can browse, I can e-mail, I can write on Word... I don't need any more than that! And for $200, this is something I'd buy.

However good or bad the ASUS turns out to be, though, the important thing is that it will show Palm (and everybody else) what can be done for a lower price point... especially if it sells well.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote