Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-07-2012, 07:40 AM   #1
ghudod
Connoisseur
ghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toys

Device: none
Red face cheap e-ink reader for reading PDF ebooks?

Hi,

As I'm not in the U.S. the selection of ebook readers I can choose from is as follows:

-Amazon Kindle 5 ad-supported
-Barnes & Noble Nook Simple Touch (I've tried this one in a store - was OK, little bit worried about not being able to change font size and text reflowing while reading a sample PDF)
-Sony PRS-T1
-Sony PRS-T2

My budget is unlimited. I'm willing to pay more if there's something in an ebook reader that I absolutely need. Read: I'll pay more for a Sony PRS-T1/2 for the openness, if worth it.

My requirements:

-Must have a memory card slot or some other way of getting content onto it
-Must have good (read: I'd prefer if I could change e.g. font size) PDF support
-Must have an e ink screen

My reading will be limited to plain text inside PDF (fiction mostly - no academic papers). Also, I will only be reading at home, so touchscreens are fine, though I have nothing against regular ones.

Any recommendations?

Last edited by ghudod; 11-07-2012 at 08:28 AM. Reason: narrowed choices down a little bit
ghudod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:33 AM   #2
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I believe text based PDF support is best on the Sonys.

But why use PDF as your format? It's probably the worst choice for what you say you want.
ApK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:07 AM   #3
nandini
Enthusiast
nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T2, Note II
You cannot change font size of pdf which doesn't re-flow!!

sony definitely provides better pdf support as its got pinch zoom option and landscape mode. Pinch zooming is a savior but Landscape mode will only end up shrinking the text. This is what I experienced. But if your pdf re-flows then you will be able to play with it just like an epub file.

I gathered all my notes in word and then converted them into pdf and my T2 is handling them awesomely because they can re-flow.

If you are talking about reading fiction novels then why are you choosing pdf and not epub?

Anyway, sony will be a better choice for you but do not keep high hopes with it. And, I would suggest you to watch pdf experience reviews of T1/T2 before taking decision. :
nandini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:17 AM   #4
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by nandini View Post
You cannot change font size of pdf which doesn't re-flow!!
The Sony will reflow the text from text-based PDFs and allow you to adjust the font, but you lose most of the PDF formatting.
ApK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:39 AM   #5
nandini
Enthusiast
nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T2, Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
The Sony will reflow the text from text-based PDFs and allow you to adjust the font, but you lose most of the PDF formatting.

I had a PDF book and I wasn't able to change its font using font option.
nandini is offline   Reply With Quote