Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-30-2011, 01:06 PM   #31
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
While I can't defend the decision the Apple folks provide iBooks and manual as a download since the iPad ships worldwide and these things are language specific. You can download it to your PC and read the manual to help with Wi-Fi issues.
Nothing preventing Apple from creating a multilingual PDF file. The file's not really going to be all that big.

Starting with iOS 5, a PC will not be required for iPads, iPods and iPhones. Everything can go through the cloud. Certainly, there may be people getting iPads who don't already own or have access to computers. In that case, a multilingual PDF manual or better yet, a user guide in the form of an interactive app should be included with the device since Apple doesn't provide a printed manual.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:48 PM   #32
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Unfortunately it is not downloaded by default when you download iBooks although my son (who works for Apple) has submitted a request for this change. You can download it http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/...user_guide.pdf and view it in iBooks. The link is listed in the minuscule manual that comes with the device. It is 198 pages and contains lots of good stuff.

Dale
Thanks! Just downloaded it to GoodReader. I don't use iBooks much, don't like the pseudo paper interface. Every time I see an e-book or reading app pretending to be a paper book, I can't help thinking of that ad where a man tries to swat a fly with his iPad. Wake up guys, this is NOT paper! Oops, sorry for the OT rant...
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:23 PM   #33
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Nothing preventing Apple from creating a multilingual PDF file. The file's not really going to be all that big.

Starting with iOS 5, a PC will not be required for iPads, iPods and iPhones. Everything can go through the cloud. Certainly, there may be people getting iPads who don't already own or have access to computers. In that case, a multilingual PDF manual or better yet, a user guide in the form of an interactive app should be included with the device since Apple doesn't provide a printed manual.
I hate multi-lingual books myself and this book is over 17 Meg. I would call that big, YMMV. Even in the Cloud you can download eBooks and today you can use the browser to download the book.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:46 PM   #34
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
I hate multi-lingual books myself and this book is over 17 Meg. I would call that big, YMMV. Even in the Cloud you can download eBooks and today you can use the browser to download the book.
Again, you can't download something from the cloud if you don't have working internet and no computer to download the manual from. 17MB might seem big but there's plenty of storage available on these devices. Besides, it's likely just the pictures that are inflating the PDF size and I believe it's possible to store one copy of the image and link to it multiple times so a multilingual PDF would only be slightly bigger than a single language version.

I'm not sure how you imagine the multilingual manual would be like. I think you might be thinking in terms of multiple languages in a single page. I was thinking more along the lines of an omnibus. You've got an initial screen/TOC listing where you can select the language and you immediately jump to your language's version of the manual.

As I've mentioned, though, an interactive user guide would be much better.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 08-30-2011 at 02:51 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote