Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-17-2011, 12:38 AM   #1
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Button Behavior for the new highlight toggle next to the search bar

I see the new 'Search Highlighting' button that was added as part of the duplicate detection discussion. However I was only able to figure out how to use it by accident. This is because nothing happens when you toggle it on and off. In order for it to do something you need to actually run a new search.

I can understand if there is no search in the search box already that there's nothing to be done, but for the case where a user is already looking at the results of a search it makes more sense to me to actually change the display.

I only figured it all out by accident because I'd toggled the button a few times, watched it do nothing, scratched my head and forgot about it, leaving it enabled by accident. Then I later did a search and unexpectedly found all search results highlighted instead of the expected default filtering behavior. I realized that the button was the cause of the problem because of the discussion of the feature, but when I clicked the button again nothing happened. It wasn't until I re-ran my search that I got the expected default behavior back.

Note I was only able to figure this out because I was reading the duplicate discussion thread and had an idea of what the new button was about and what it was supposed to do. Up until writing this post I hadn't even read the tooltip (which doesn't mention the search needs to be re-run). It just seems that for a novice user this button might be very confusing the way it works now, but if it automatically re-ran the search to switch the modes back and forth visibly it would become more intuitive.

Edit: It also only seems to work for certain types of searches, which makes it more confusing. ISBN:True works, but keyword/title searches don't. I think this may actually be a bug, as the list of returned results returns everything/nothing when highlighting is enabled, but nothing is highlighted.

Last edited by ldolse; 04-17-2011 at 01:13 AM.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 05:41 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post
I can understand if there is no search in the search box already that there's nothing to be done, but for the case where a user is already looking at the results of a search it makes more sense to me to actually change the display.
Good point. Changed.
Quote:
Edit: It also only seems to work for certain types of searches, which makes it more confusing. ISBN:True works, but keyword/title searches don't. I think this may actually be a bug, as the list of returned results returns everything/nothing when highlighting is enabled, but nothing is highlighted.
Sorry, don't understand. If highlighting is on, then by definition all books are shown in the library view. If a search returns no results, then nothing will be highlighted. What else can it do?
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:01 AM   #3
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Sorry, don't understand. If highlighting is on, then by definition all books are shown in the library view. If a search returns no results, then nothing will be highlighted. What else can it do?
Edit: Never mind - looks like user error - got confused because the first matched item was also selected, meaning I couldn't see the highlighting.

Last edited by ldolse; 04-17-2011 at 06:16 AM.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:13 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Highlighting works fine for me with any search. I need more info about what you are doing/seeing.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.png
Views:	329
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	70055

Is the search returning one book? In that case, the book is highlighted, but the highlight is hidden by the selection.

Are you looking at the device view? Highlighting isn't supported there. I will change the code to hide the button.

Something else?
Old 04-17-2011, 06:17 AM   #5
ldolse
Wizard

I edited my reply, but didn't catch it before your post - user error - got confused because the first matched item was also selected, meaning I couldn't see the highlighting.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:29 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Edit: Never mind - looks like user error - got confused because the first matched item was also selected, meaning I couldn't see the highlighting.
Give a specific item that fails. I have tried many non true/false searches with highlighting on and have no problems.

Edit: Can't even eat a sandwich and the problem is T/S and solved in a few minutes.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 04-17-2011 at 06:32 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:53 AM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

The 'one result selected' confusion got me thinking. As it is, when marking is on, there is no visual way to distinguish between no results and 1 result because the selection overrides the coloring. I propose changing things so that if marking is enabled and the search returns nothing, the library view will be positioned at line 1 but nothing will be selected. If a result is returned, the library view will be positioned at the first (and perhaps only) result, and that line will be selected.

Comments?
Old 04-17-2011, 08:03 AM   #8
ldolse
Wizard

Quote:
I propose changing things so that if marking is enabled and the search returns nothing, the library view will be positioned at line 1 but nothing will be selected.
The first part of your suggestion makes sense to me, but I'm not sure I understand the second part.

Quote:
If a result is returned, the library view will be positioned at the first (and perhaps only) result, and that line will be selected.
Are you saying that the view will scroll up so that the first match is the first line? If so I agree this would be more intuitive. It wouldn't totally eliminate the source of confusion, but the shift in the view should help a fair bit.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:07 AM   #9
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Are you saying that the view will scroll up so that the first match is the first line? If so I agree this would be more intuitive. It wouldn't totally eliminate the source of confusion, but the shift in the view should help a fair bit.
The behavior will be exactly as it is today if the search result is not empty. The first result is made visible (positioned at center) and selected.

The new behavior will apply only if the search returns an empty set.

The intent: something is selected only if it is in the search result.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:33 AM   #10
ldolse
Wizard

Got it - Sounds good to me.