Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-09-2014, 10:01 PM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
RbnJrg showed off an example in Post #9 and beyond in this topic:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=237323
I just tried it in ADE 2 and ADE 1.7.2 and it looks fine in both. I don't see the problem.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:35 PM   #47
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
so typesetting 101 question:
in small-caps-done-properly, should there be larger letters to initialise proper nouns, or should everything be in small capitals - all the same size ?
Ideally, yes to the first. As a practical matter, I say yes to the second.

I do this:

span.smallcap {
font-size: 90%;
font-weight: bold;
}
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2014, 02:34 PM   #48
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I just tried it in ADE 2 and ADE 1.7.2 and it looks fine in both. I don't see the problem.
Wolfie, my dear:

You won't see the problem in ADE, at least, not the problem I addressed. The problem, if you're using multiple spans in a header line, is that Nook goes bonkers, and breaks the line. If you set the line to hyphenation off, you can end up with the entire line appearing in a bizarro-world vertical row, or, if you set hyphenation ON, you end up with words hyphenated where they should not be, e.g., (this is a real-world example): Bartle-tt.

For whatever reason, the Nook simply can't handle it. I've discussed this over the years with both Liz and even Josh, and neither had coding for it then that worked, to emulate a BFL+Smallcaps look that would work in Nook. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist--hell, it might. But on a real device, it's just the pig's ear.

@notjohn: I know you know that this does NOT work for most KF7 devices, right? No CSS, no work?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 02:53 PM   #49
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
I do have a (bought) book which does that weird vertical sh*t in ADE. If I remember which book it is, I'll have a look how they managed to create that beauty.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:45 PM   #50
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
I do have a (bought) book which does that weird vertical sh*t in ADE. If I remember which book it is, I'll have a look how they managed to create that beauty.
See, thar you go. I may not have noticed, because I saw it LIVE (and in person!) on a device, which freaked me right out. I tend to use ADE for proofing, full-screen, but..sure, it makes sense; if you reduced ADE small enough, arguably, certainly for ADE 2.0, it should happen also. Given that ADE is still, as far as I know, Nook's rendering engine?

Hitch
Advert
Old 06-10-2014, 05:34 PM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, ADE is nook's rendering engine.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:58 PM   #52
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Yes, ADE is nook's rendering engine.
Oh, Wolfie, Honey-bear:

Did you change your avatar just for me, snookums? Gosh, I'm touched.

Hitch
Old 06-11-2014, 02:11 PM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Oh, Wolfie, Honey-bear:

Did you change your avatar just for me, snookums? Gosh, I'm touched.

Hitch
Yes, I did.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:18 PM   #54
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Yes, I did.
Who loves ya, baby?

Hitch