Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 11-25-2012, 11:56 AM   #1
MrB
Very Slow Learner
MrB has learned how to read e-booksMrB has learned how to read e-booksMrB has learned how to read e-booksMrB has learned how to read e-booksMrB has learned how to read e-booksMrB has learned how to read e-booksMrB has learned how to read e-books

Device: none
How to specify 'Start Reading'

(I hope every US member has been enjoying their Thanksgiving holiday )

I have used Sigil to produce an .epub file of my book which I have then converted to a kindle version by using kindle previewer/ kindlegen.

In View>Book Information I note that 'Start Reading' is 'Not Specified'. I would like to specify the start point but don't know how...

...but I'm keen to learn

Many thanks and best wishes to all.
MrB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:18 PM   #2
mncowboy
Wanderer
mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, PaperWhite 2
MrB:
In Sigil, the way to specify the beginning is to go to the Book Browser.
I assume you have your book split into multiple files.
Say you want the book to start at the Introduction (eg Intro.xhtml).
Right-click on the Intro.xhtml file and choose Add Semantics.
Check the line for Text. Make sure it is the only file that has this semantic added. You can verify this by looking at the Content.opf file, in the Guide section.
Kindle Previewer will convert this location to the Beginning location.
Bob
mncowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2012, 11:23 AM   #3
MrB
Very Slow Learner
MrB has learned how to read e-booksMrB has learned how to read e-booksMrB has learned how to read e-booksMrB has learned how to read e-booksMrB has learned how to read e-booksMrB has learned how to read e-booksMrB has learned how to read e-books

Device: none
Solved!

That worked perfectly, Bob, many thanks!

OT Having clicked through to Travel Off The Path it seems we have been following parallel paths on the road to self-publication. Best of luck with E-book Creation and all subsequent titles
MrB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:41 PM   #4
mncowboy
Wanderer
mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, PaperWhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrB View Post
That worked perfectly, Bob, many thanks!

OT Having clicked through to Travel Off The Path it seems we have been following parallel paths on the road to self-publication. Best of luck with E-book Creation and all subsequent titles
Thank you sir!
mncowboy is offline   Reply With Quote