Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-02-2013, 02:02 AM   #1
ryuji35
Zealot
ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PPW5 Signature, Kobo Libra 2, Samsung Tab S6 Lite
Calibre/Kobo Glo "error communicating with device."

Hi,

I wanted to add a book to my Kobo Glo via Calibre (As usual) but for some reason, Calibre stated that it is "error communicating with device."

I did a factory reset 3 times, updated Calibre to the latest version but nothing happens This is what the error in CALIBRE tells me:

But first to tell you the story, after the first attempt of synching with Calibre, my Kobo Glo acted weird since all of my books is inaccessible (all of them are DRM-FREE) but after the failed synch attempt, the Kobo IS looking at all of my Books as DRM so it is not reading them with an error "Oops! You cannot access DRM books blah blah" and all of my books have no covers in the Library. ALl of them inaccessible prompting me to do a factory reset.

I have a Kobo Glo version 2.6.0. Please help.

unable to open database file

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 85, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 476, in _books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 1607, in books
OperationalError: unable to open database file
ryuji35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:18 AM   #2
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuji35 View Post
Hi,

I wanted to add a book to my Kobo Glo via Calibre (As usual) but for some reason, Calibre stated that it is "error communicating with device."

I did a factory reset 3 times, updated Calibre to the latest version but nothing happens This is what the error in CALIBRE tells me:

But first to tell you the story, after the first attempt of synching with Calibre, my Kobo Glo acted weird since all of my books is inaccessible (all of them are DRM-FREE) but after the failed synch attempt, the Kobo IS looking at all of my Books as DRM so it is not reading them with an error "Oops! You cannot access DRM books blah blah" and all of my books have no covers in the Library. ALl of them inaccessible prompting me to do a factory reset.

I have a Kobo Glo version 2.6.0. Please help.

unable to open database file

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 85, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 476, in _books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 1607, in books
OperationalError: unable to open database file

Try signing out/back in of your account on your Glo. Go to settings/account/sign out, then sign back in.

Also see this thread ..

Last edited by Willa; 07-02-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:23 PM   #3
ryuji35
Zealot
ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I tried doing this by going to settings>account but it says "no kobo account" please set up on a nearest computer or wireless network. But no options whatsoever to sign iin.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:45 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
That's a bit different. It is probably another sign that the database is corrupt. Try powering off and then back on. I expect that it will prompt you do a setup at that point.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:40 AM   #5
ryuji35
Zealot

I did a reboot and when it opened, yes, it prompted me to sign back in to Kobo account but now my device is saying "Network Error" Something happened to your internet and we couldn't finish the update. But my Wifi is 100% working :/

EDIT: Only the signing in part to the account is having problems. While checking for updates, my kobo can detect the wifi as well as connecting successfully.

Last edited by ryuji35; 07-03-2013 at 01:44 AM.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:45 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I usually do a set-up through the desktop app. While the WiFi works, I don't trust it during the set-up if I think firmware will be downloaded. Of course, the laptop that I am connecting the device to is using WiFi, but that seems to be more stable.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:59 PM   #7
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
This issue seems to happen far too often. I always eject the reader either through Calibre or through the Windows utility, yet I still get the corrupt database on the Glo.

But this time the update really hung up the reader and I had problems even doing a factory reset. The 5 or 6 blocks just kept forever cycling and the reader could do nothing else.

It wouldn't be so bad if you could somehow just tell it to rebuild the database, but every time this happens it wipes all your settings, including your super-safe-insanely-long wireless password that's a PITA to enter yet again. And all your awards are set to zilch making them just aggravating rather than a fun feature.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:18 PM   #8
ryuji35
Zealot

So, what shall I do? I am good with either options. As of now, my reader is basically useless. I am really not that good with troubleshooting Kobo but I can do it if I have a step-by-step instructions.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:24 PM   #9
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I ended up having to do a full factory reset, which was difficult since my reader was stuck at the Kobo face with the 5 blocks cycling left to right nonstop. This finally worked for me:

1. Hold the power button ON for 15-20 seconds to make sure it is off. All lights at the top should be off.
2. Press and HOLD the light button while turning on the Glo. That should put you into a factory reset if that will solve the problem.

After all books were off the reader, I then noticed all the empty shelves were still there and had to delete them all, but one of them was a duplicate and it seems you can't remove either of them when it happens through normal deletion. But I did what TechniSol did in this post and it worked without having to edit the database.

Then I put back the firmware I prefer, 2.5.1, and loaded books back onto the reader. And of course, I'm getting the "can't communicate with device" from Calibre at times. Usually disconnecting the reader and restarting Calibre will let me load books though.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:16 PM   #10
ryuji35
Zealot

Weird. I did this full factory reset thing and it is still the same. NO changes whatsoever. After logging in, my kobo still detects "No Kobo Account"
Old 07-04-2013, 11:51 PM   #11
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
2.6.1 is latest firmware on my Kobo Touch and Mini don't know what version your Glow should have. Another thread was about problem loading books depending on source of your reader. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=217171
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:37 AM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Weird. I did this full factory reset thing and it is still the same. NO changes whatsoever. After logging in, my kobo still detects "No Kobo Account"
During the reset, did it prompt you for your Kobo account and password? I would be interested to know what is in the user table of the database on the device. It is an SQLite database, so if you have the tools to look at it, I would be interested. Or you can send me the database to inspect.

Also, what happens when you connect to calibre?
Old 07-05-2013, 01:36 AM   #13
ryuji35
Zealot

"error communicating with device." <- This is what happens when I connect this to Calibre (full info my first post. still the same)

Here is the database file (sqlite) http://www.4shared.com/file/Ad4ZP0ft/KoboReader.html
Old 07-05-2013, 02:29 AM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
"error communicating with device." <- This is what happens when I connect this to Calibre (full info my first post. still the same)
I was hoping for a change since you had done a factory reset. That should have fixed things, but it obviously hasn't.
Quote:
Here is the database file (sqlite) http://www.4shared.com/file/Ad4ZP0ft/KoboReader.html
I have had a look, and can't see any problems. The contents of the user table looks right. The username looks like a valid gmail address. When I ran an integrity check on the database, it was fine.

I also dropped it on my Glo in place of my database and calibre had no problem reading it. About the only thing I can think of there is that the disk is being mounted readonly. What are you running on the PC? Windows or something else? Can you manually copy a file to the device when it is connected?
Old 07-05-2013, 05:17 PM   #15
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
Quote:

When you get the error what do you see if you use a file manager to examine the mounted USB drive(s).

I have a long-standing problem where the USB connection is lost when Calibre tries to synch with the Glo - the drive is still showing as mounted under Windows but is empty (Volume type: unknown, Staus : unreadable) and wonder if your problem is the same as mine.

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote