Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-10-2011, 11:35 AM   #1
jesscat
Groupie
jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad mini, iPad 2, Kindle 3
Override of default title sort fails

I'm not sure if this belongs in one of the subforums...

I have a book titled "A to Z." The default title sort would be "to Z, A" - but of course I don't want that. So I'm attempting to override it by typing "A to Z" in the title sort box. This works fine in Calibre's book list - the book is sorted as "A to Z" - but when I send the book to my device (a Kindle fwiw - but I don't think this matters), the file created on the device is still called "to Z, A".

I don't think this is correct, is it? When I override the author sort - like for an anthology I use "ABC Press" (instead of "Press, ABC") as the author sort - the file written to the device correctly has "ABC Press" as the author in the file name. ("Book name - ABC Press.mobi").

So could this be a bug? Or might I be missing something?
jesscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:56 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Does it really matter, since the Kindle doesn't read metadata from the filename anyway?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2011, 12:22 PM   #3
jesscat
Groupie
jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I don't understand the coding well enough to know whether the mismatch could ever matter. I was trying to get fetch annotations to work and discovered that it wouldn't fetch for some of my books that still had old names on the Kindle (sent to older Kindles by much older versions of Calibre) - names with the "The" at the beginning of the title, for example, and with a number appended to the end of the name; I had to resend those and either delete or rename the mpb file to match the new name. I have no idea why this mismatch between the current settings for title sort and file naming and the file names on the Kindle (created by older versions of Calibre) created a problem, so someone else could say better than I whether the mismatch I pointed out could ever make a difference for Calibre purposes. You know better than I; it just seemed to me, as a very amateur coder, like it's safer in the long run for this sort of thing to match or at least to understand why it's not (is it doing the same thing for other devices?)

It doesn't matter to Kindle right now of course - though I guess it's possible it could at some point in the future.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:37 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Newer versions of calibre maintain a mapping of file names to ids on the device so the file name really doesn't matter.

While it's true that using an auto generated title_sort rather than the actual title_sort is a bug, it's one that has such low severity that I am not inclined to track it down.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:24 PM   #5
jesscat
Groupie

If filename on the device really doesn't matter to Calibre anymore either, then it definitely makes sense to ignore this.
Advert