Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-18-2010, 11:27 PM   #1
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
HP says WebOS Slates and Printers Coming

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/18/h...cted-printers/

No surprise on the slates as we all figured that when they canned the Windows 7 Slate.

Interesting that a printer would need that OS.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:33 PM   #2
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Let us hope for a great tablet with WebOS. As for the printer issue, here is another article on the same subject:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/19661...ml?tk=rss_news
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2010, 11:34 PM   #3
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
It's all about reuse. Plus the WebOS is probably only going to run the user interface and some of the networking capabilities.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:55 AM   #4
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverClothe View Post
It's all about reuse. Plus the WebOS is probably only going to run the user interface and some of the networking capabilities.
WebOS would be good for accessing and printing stuff of the cloud.
Thats what everything these days is leading too.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:22 PM   #5
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
The WebOS is really Linux with an X window manager running on top of it.

All printers require an OS since printers do some pretty complicated things under the hood. HP usually licenses these OS, but now that they have a core OS team they can get more control over their support.

But the WebOS gives them even more power, We tend to think of only their desktop printers, but HP also makes commercial printers where there are attached terminals/scanners to the printers/plotters. The WebOS will give these printers a nice interface and a consistent UI.

This will defiantly give HP an edge over their competitors.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2010, 07:49 PM   #6
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Well, the Windows 7 HP Slate is back:

HP: no webOS netbooks, HP Slate due October 2010

It will run Windows 7, but really, what's the point?

It has 8.9" screen - a little bigger than a cheap Chinese tablet, but smaller than the iPad.

The battery life is only 5 hours. This is right in cheap tablet territory, AND it's non-user replaceable.

The boot times for W7 on AtomZ5xx will be looong.

The Slate is better off dead, really.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 04:10 PM   #7
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/22/h...or-webos-tabl/

HP Taiwan Vice President says Web OS tablet coming before October.

I'm with Sonist on the Windows 7 one, completely pointless for me with those specs.

Though it would be with any OS as a 8.9" widescreen is useless to me. If not A4 or 8.5x11", I want at the least an 11-12" screen with an aspect ratio closer to those paper sizes, not 16x9.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:05 PM   #8
dmikov
Addict
dmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-books

Device: REB1200; REB2150; Sony 500/350; EZReader; IREX DR800SG; Nook/Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/22/h...or-webos-tabl/

HP Taiwan Vice President says Web OS tablet coming before October.

I'm with Sonist on the Windows 7 one, completely pointless for me with those specs.

Though it would be with any OS as a 8.9" widescreen is useless to me. If not A4 or 8.5x11", I want at the least an 11-12" screen with an aspect ratio closer to those paper sizes, not 16x9.
Buy JooJoo and be done. 12.1" screen just like you want. This "no 12 - not for me" for the 1000th time should be tiring already even for you. There is no anouncement about new tablet/ereader/phone where you will not put this thoughtful comment. Please accept the fact, that some of us like portability and not every company looking to fulfill your wish.
dmikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 05:12 PM   #9
dmaul1114
Wizard

Make use of the ignore user feature if you find me tiresome.

The JooJoo unfortunately got crummy reviews and pretty much only got the screen size right. No flash. Battery only lasts 2.5 hours per the PC World review etc. Browser only interface, apps don't work when not connected to Wifi etc. It's a turd of a device.

In any case, I'm going to keep talking about what I want in a tablet in tablet threads, so again, make use of the ignore user feature if you don't like it.

We're all here to discuss what we think of products announced, how the fit or don't fit what we're looking for etc.

I realize others want smaller tablets for portability, and that's fine. I never said they shouldn't exist. Just said they're pointless for me given my needs.

Last edited by dmaul1114; 05-22-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:44 PM   #10
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
I'd personally love a printer with a great OS..or at least a decent UI.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 05:48 PM   #11
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
I'd personally love a printer with a great OS..or at least a decent UI.
Yeah, giving it more thought I can see the need.

I have a cheap HP printer, scanner copier and it can be a pain sometimes. Especially scanning, have never gotten it to work just through buttons on the printer like I could on my old Dell printer I had before. Have to open up the software and do it through there. So I can see the need for a decent UI in these all in one devices, or the big office printers/copiers etc.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:50 PM   #12
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
And I'd like a printer that didn't have a 400Mb driver...
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 05:51 PM   #13
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Yeah, giving it more thought I can see the need.

I have a cheap HP printer, scanner copier and it can be a pain sometimes. Especially scanning, have never gotten it to work just through buttons on the printer like I could on my old Dell printer I had before. Have to open up the software and do it through there. So I can see the need for a decent UI in these all in one devices, or the big office printers/copiers etc.
Exactly. Plus, if its webOS, they could do a nice browser interface for network printers..instead of each printer having a slightly different setup.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote