Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-18-2009, 09:24 AM   #1
sibelhodge
Enthusiast
sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Amazon Kindle sets sales records.

Amazon Kindle sets record http://tinyurl.com/ybwm5pz

Sibel

For reviews and purchases of my latest novels: http://stores.lulu.com/sibelhodge
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/sibelhodge
sibelhodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:36 AM   #2
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Without seeing actual numbers that indicate who's got what market share, reports of "record sales" have a limit to their utility.

I wouldn't say the battle is "over" by any stretch, although I concur with the article that not having product available for the holidays (and the less-than-stellar reviews of the nook) will hurt.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2009, 09:36 AM   #3
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
To clarify, Amazon Kindle set a sales record for the Amazon Kindle.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:25 AM   #4
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Just as an aside, I don't follow shortened links when there's no reason for them being shortened. In a venue that doesn't have a string length limit, I just assume someone's hiding the destination for a reason.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:23 AM   #5
sibelhodge
Enthusiast
sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
Just as an aside, I don't follow shortened links when there's no reason for them being shortened. In a venue that doesn't have a string length limit, I just assume someone's hiding the destination for a reason.

Sorry, is there a general rule about links on this board? Do people want shortened ones or long ones? I was just posting this piece for information.

Sibel

For reviews and purchases of my latest novels: http://stores.lulu.com/sibelhodge
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/sibelhodge
sibelhodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2009, 11:28 AM   #6
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibelhodge View Post
Sorry, is there a general rule about links on this board? Do people want shortened ones or long ones? I was just posting this piece for information.
No, I don't think there's a rule. It's just one of my own personal curmudgeonly quirks. As an IT guy, paranoia is part of my job description!
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:30 PM   #7
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
[QUOTE=sibelhodge;702264]Sorry, is there a general rule about links on this board? Do people want shortened ones or long ones? I was just posting this piece for information.

Sibel

I like shortened ones because long ones are annoying. However you can do the same thing as tiny url using some forum code but people can still see the link at the bottom of the page. Just use this formatting (but change the brackets to square brackets)

(url=http://www.yourURLhere)Write the name of your link here(/url)

Just remember to change the brackets to [ ]

For example:
Tiger Woods is gonna lose all his monies!!!
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:04 PM   #8
seagull
Addict
seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Quote:
No, I don't think there's a rule. It's just one of my own personal curmudgeonly quirks. As an IT guy, paranoia is part of my job description!
I agree, I always use long ones, I've never seen the point in shortening even if it's 5 lines long with forum code.
seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 07:13 AM   #9
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
That was certain to happen with Kindle For PC.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:18 AM   #10
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
To clarify, Amazon Kindle set a sales record for the Amazon Kindle.

Yeah, but without some substantiation it's just a rumor released by Amazon.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:20 AM   #11
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
I'm with ya there and not only IT, but for self-protection.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:24 AM   #12
Dahak
Zealot
Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS-505(LC) & Rocket eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibelhodge View Post
Amazon Kindle sets record http://tinyurl.com/ybwm5pz
What an amazingly stupid article!

(Not your post... the article you linked to.)

This is yet more of the same stupidity we've gotten out of Amazon since Day One.

"The Kindle is a smash success!! Because we've sold more than others' units? No! Because we tell you it's a smash success!"

They've given us exactly zero information on units sold.

"We sold an unspecified number of Kindles this year! And that's an unspecified number more than the unspecified number we sold last year! Aren't we amazing? Everyone else can go home and stop selling ereaders, now!"

I love how that 'press-release from Amazon' understates the number of units Sony introduced (three, IIRC, 300, 600 and not sure if the 900 is out yet) and denigrates both Sony and Barnes & Noble for running out of stock soon after release. Which is exactly what happened when the Kindle came out!

( Waiting for Sir. Bruce to reply in 3... 2... 1... )

P.S.

Oh... no... I just noticed that first comment posted to the article. I think I'm gonna gag. Seems that Amazon invented the ereader concept. Gotta hand it to Amazon, though, by sheer weight of online presence, they've convinced people of their originality. Nothing ever came before the Kindle!

Last edited by Dahak; 12-20-2009 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Postscript
Dahak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:09 AM   #13
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Me either. Paranoia from having friends who are not beyond occasionally griefing me .

Anyway, the "old pro in this market" has sold out of the DX and a little birdie says stocks of the international are in a dangerous state as well. It's all down to (unsurprisingly) screen availability. When there's a serious screen competitor, the low production of e-ink screens is going to bury that tech...
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:13 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Do we have a link that's not hidden? I don't click hidden URLs as I have no idea where they go. Please post the full URL.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:14 AM   #15
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahak View Post

I love how that 'press-release from Amazon' understates the number of units Sony introduced (three, IIRC, 300, 600 and not sure if the 900 is out yet) and denigrates both Sony and Barnes & Noble for running out of stock soon after release. Which is exactly what happened when the Kindle came out!

( Waiting for Sir. Bruce to reply in 3... 2... 1... )
I'm not Sir Bruce but the reason Sony and B&N are getting grief (or being denigrated) is because they didn't learn the lesson from Amazon running out of stock 2 years in a row (IMO).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote