Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-20-2012, 04:57 AM   #31
marcl
Enthusiast
marcl began at the beginning.

Device: Iriver Story HD (FW 1.13), Kobo Glo (FW 2.8.1), Kindle PW2 (FW 5.40)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I have done it. Any new books sideloaded will be added when the device is disconnected. Books removed will probably still be listed. Trying to open one generally causes the device to hang and has to be powered off. After that, the database is cleaned of those books.
Thanks for the info! So it would be a good reason to backup the database and carry with you on a notebook in holiday or so.
marcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:36 PM   #32
mutant_matt
Enthusiast
mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo Touch
Yep. You can of course backup the DB on the Kobo itself (as long as it hasn't done a full factory reset, it'll still be there). If it's still there, then you don't need SQLite on the computer you connect it to.

Also, if you have a backup of the SQLite DB on a USB stick or memory card, you still shouldn't need a computer with SQLite on it to copy that back onto the device (if the backup on the Kobo itself for some reason has gone or didn't work).

Backup books on a micro-SD card is also key in this kind of "away from home", recovery situation.

I have a backup of my Glo's DB from just after was registered, on the Glo, on my netbook, and on my file server at home (which I can get a copy of, from any internet connected computer). I suspect you might even be able to create a plugin for Calibre to backup the SQLite DB both on the Kobo and copied down to your pc, as part of what it does (if it doesn't already).

I think I already also said before, you could probably get the "registered" SQLite DB into the recovery image, with a little work, so that a full factory reset, would skip the registration step, which would bypass most of this issue of getting going again. I might just try that at some point.

Matt
mutant_matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert