Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 12-07-2009, 09:56 PM   #1
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Closing duplicate threads.

My question is, when closing duplicate threads, shouldn't the first thread on the subject be the one left open and those coming after closed? I've been noticing a pattern that the person who actually breaks the news had their thread closed (just saw it happen with the Sony ePub news).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:08 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
In this case we all got the same email. My time stamp was 22 minutes later because I took the time to write it a front page post rather than just quote the email.

Now, why keep mine instead of another one? It was better written, and happened more or less simultaneously.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:11 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
In this case we all got the same email. My time stamp was 22 minutes later because I took the time to write it a front page post rather than just quote the email.
In that case, as you've done before, post your front page story, then close your thread with a pointer to the thread of the person who first posted the story for continuing comment.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:19 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
In that case, as you've done before, post your front page story, then close your thread with a pointer to the thread of the person who first posted the story for continuing comment.
That is a very good way to do it. As it stands, it just makes it look like the mods are keeping their posts open because they wrote them even though it's a duplicate. In plain English, it looks like an abuse of power.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:22 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That is a very good way to do it. As it stands, it just makes it look like the mods are keeping their posts open because they wrote them even though it's a duplicate. In plain English, it looks like an abuse of power.
Explain to me, what does the moderator gain if the thread he posted is the one where the conversation takes place? What does the user lose if it doesn't take place in the thread they started? What does the user gain if the conversation does take place in the thread they started?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:29 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's not about who gains what. It's about how it looks. And it looks like the mod wants the conversation to take place in the thread where the news item was posted.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:30 PM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

I'm talking about giving credit where credit is due. Regarding the thread in question the OP even mentioned that they looked around before posting to make sure the news hadn't already been posted. They did not post a duplicate thread. It's just fairness.

It doesn't take away from the mod to close his/her own thread and link back to the original thread for continuing comment.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:35 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I have seen cases where the a mod has taken a user's post and fixed it up for putting on the front page and then pout it on the front page and the OP got full credit for it. As it stands, Nates gets full credit when that's not fair.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:43 PM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
It seems to me that linking to an already existing thread (if there is one,and if I know about it), is a good practice, particularly if there is already a discussion ongoing. Not only does it avoid taking away from the ongoing discussion, it's also a good way to give credit to members who find new things, which of course encourages finding new things. Given the numerical difference between the membership and the mod team, it's the members that find most new stuff these days, and that sort of thing is both helpful and to be encouraged.

As for closing the new, front page thread, I tend to not do that, for a couple of reasons. The first is that some folks simply want to respond on the front page thread. This is particularly so if the post is ended in such a way to provoke a respose, or the responder may want to address something particular in the post itself, which can get complicated to do in another thread. Another reason not to close is that it looks kinda funny if front page posts have no responses. Random folks just wandering by might get the (very much mistaken) idea that there's not much traffic here from such a condition.

All that being said, there's not really a hard-and-fast rule or even rule-of-thumb to refer to on this, because the situations will necessarily vary, both from topic to topic and person to person. Looking back over the front page items that have pre-existing threads in the time I've been around, it seems to me that more of the front page threads are "open" than not, mainly for the sorts of reasons I mentioned.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:47 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

So what is going to be done to sort out the problem of the original thread being closed in favor of the thread a mod started? And yes, it was 100% a duplicate thread.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:49 PM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Which two threads do you have in mind, specifically, Jon?

This one and this one? Or is there another I've missed?

Last edited by NatCh; 12-07-2009 at 10:51 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:50 PM   #12
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

In this case the thread was closed before people really got a chance to respond to it, plus there were many duplicates.

As for a closed thread on the front page, I don't think it's any harder to click a link to the conversation thread than it is to click the "new post" link. If the front page post ended with credit to the OP and invited folks to join the conversation in progress, I don't think anyone would think it strange.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:54 PM   #13
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
As for a closed thread on the front page, I don't think it's any harder to click a link to the conversation thread than it is to click the "new post" link. If the front page post ended with credit to the OP and invited folks to join the conversation in progress, I don't think anyone would think it strange.
I see what you're saying, Daffy, and I even happen to share that perspective, personally. However, part of being a Mod in a community as diverse as this one is, is sometimes doing stuff that you don't, personally, think is necessary, to accommodate those who view things differently from the way you do.

And in the case of the front page, it's our "face," so to speak, so on it we tend to want to be extra ... "approachable" is a good word.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:56 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Which two threads do you have in mind, specifically, Jon?

This one and this one? Or is there another I've missed?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64592

That one is the earliest I've so far seen. And that makes it the original post if I am not incorrect.

And to be honest, that thread would have made a better front page then the little blurb Nate posted to the front page.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:57 PM   #15
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I see what you're saying, Daffy, and I even happen to share that perspective, personally. However, part of being a Mod in a community as diverse as this one is, is sometimes doing stuff that you don't, personally, think is necessary, to accommodate those who view things differently from the way you do.

And in the case of the front page, it's our "face," so to speak, so on it we tend to want to be extra ... "approachable" is a good word.
Then leave the front page thread open AND the original thread.