Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-10-2008, 01:46 PM   #1
adfleisher
Enthusiast
adfleisher doesn't litteradfleisher doesn't litter

Device: PocketBook 360, Nook
Post eReader is first to the iPhone!

Just downloaded the eReader software from the iTunes application store and am already reading a book from my bookshelf as I write this. Access to your bookshelf is easy, and book downloads are snappy (at least over wifi).

It's nice to finally have access to some of these older titles I purchased back in my early ebook reading days with my palm, as I don't do windows anymore and have gotten used to reading on the go with my Kindle.

Only downside (and I know it has been a constant gripe since the PeanutPress days) is the need to input credit card info to unlock the book even though I have logged into my account within the app already. Oh well.
adfleisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 02:52 PM   #2
Jack B Nimble
Groupie
Jack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enough

Device: Tapwave Zodiac, eBookwise 1150
Sounds like it would be fitting if you were the first to add 'iPhone' to your list of reading devices in your profile.

Two questions:
  • How is navigating without a simple page down button?
  • Does the software support annotation?

Thanks for the info!
Jack
Jack B Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 02:58 PM   #3
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Also see here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26225

I'd love to see some screenshots of this thing!
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:13 PM   #4
robinson
Zealot
robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, please... screen shots, plus comparisons vs. Palm version-- what's missing, what's new and improved!
robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:05 AM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by adfleisher View Post
Just downloaded the eReader software from the iTunes application store and am already reading a book from my bookshelf as I write this. Access to your bookshelf is easy, and book downloads are snappy (at least over wifi).
How did you get the 2.0 firmware to be able to do this? Are you using an iPhone or iPod Touch?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 03:08 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Must be an iPhone. The 2.0 firmware hasn't yet been released for the Touch.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:37 AM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Must be an iPhone. The 2.0 firmware hasn't yet been released for the Touch.
And the title of the thread is a clue.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:49 AM   #8
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I picked up an iPhone Friday and downloaded the eReader software before I was out of the mall. It comes with two free books and I browsed through them at the bar where my wife and I stopped for dinner and a DRINK (You wait in line two hours, you deserve a drink).

Anyway, book reading on the iPhone seems fine. Obviously not as good as the the Sony or Kindle since this isn't a dedicated eBook, eInk device and you have to deal with the energy sucking backlight. But it is every bit as good as my iPaq.

What I like most about being able to read on the iPhone is that, although I may not have my Sony with me at all times, I always have my cell phone at hand. Thus, I'll always be able to read something.

PS: I did have my Sony with me in the iPhone line which made the two hours a lot easier to endure. Now, if Apple had just been handing out beer....
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:52 AM   #9
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
And the title of the thread is a clue.

Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
I picked up an iPhone Friday and downloaded the eReader software before I was out of the mall. It comes with two free books and I browsed through them at the bar where my wife and I stopped for dinner and a DRINK (You wait in line two hours, you deserve a drink).

Quote:
What I like most about being able to read on the iPhone is that, although I may not have my Sony with me at all times, I always have my cell phone at hand. Thus, I'll always be able to read something.
i feel the same way. i read on my telephone already, in the métro for example. it's the last thing i would want to use for a real reading session but it's ok just for an emergency reader, for a 30 minute ride.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 11:03 AM   #10
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
I feel the same way. i read on my telephone already, in the métro for example. it's the last thing i would want to use for a real reading session but it's ok just for an emergency reader, for a 30 minute ride.
I always carry a 6" reader with me, this way I can read my books or the RSS feeds that I carry on it.

I use my cellphone for these other RSS feeds, those that I don't exactly read, but check several times every day to stay updated. My phone is also useful for e-mails, twitter and social networks.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 11:05 AM   #11
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
I always carry a 6" reader with me, this way I can read my books or the RSS feeds that I carry on it.

I use my cellphone for these other RSS feeds, those that I don't exactly read, but check several times every day to stay updated. My phone is also useful for e-mails, twitter and social networks.
as soon as i get an e-ink liseuse (of my own , to keep, i mean !) i will also carry it with me. but my eb1150 is far too big and heavy to carry in my bag. i posted some photos comparing the two, so you can see now what i mean. that's why i use my telephone. but it's really just for dépannage.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 12:08 PM   #12
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
And I just successfully bought and downloaded a book (Stuart Woods "Dirt") onto my iPhone. I am in geek-bookworm heaven!
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
news iphone