Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-13-2012, 01:01 AM   #1
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Exclamation Bargain (DRM-free@Kickstarter) P.N. Elrod 2-book bundle for $10 [Fantasy/Mystery etc]

So, P.N. Elrod (ISFDB entry) is a much-published author whose vampire detective mysteries, incidentally, are available for a low cost DRM-free from Baen.

But I digress.

Like several other established authors, she's turned to Kickstarter for funding for probably non-commercially-viable-for-most-purposes projects, and has actually already succeeded in getting the backing she needs to bring out her 2nd short story collection.

Anyway, I'm mentioning it here as a bargain because the terms she's offering her forthcoming Lunch Time Reading Omnibus II collection under is a really good deal.

At the $10 pledge level, you not only get your name on a special dedication page and 6 entire copies of the e-book (1 for yourself and 5 that the author encourages you to give to friends; the pledge button says 3, but an author's correction further down the page increases it to 5), you yourself also get a copy of the previously-released Lunch Time Reading Omnibus I (priced at $3.99 on Smashwords and distributing outlets), which Elrod will issue you a coupon code towards, which she says that if you already have it previously, it's okay to use to gift to a friend.

That puts her new collection, which is composed mainly of previously-published anthologized print stories in the fantasy, paranormal, and mystery genres (including a 2011 Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine Reader's Choice Award Winner) and at least one newly-written novella in her popular Vampire Files series, at a decided bargain at an amortized cost of $6, which is basically what you'd pay for a new release title @ Baen.

Even cheaper if you do actually pass out those 5 other copies to your friends (making each copy just $1).

If you're feeling flush, you can spend extra money and get what looks like a signed paper copy of the book and even more digital copies to spread amongst your friends.

I'll remind you that this collection is already fully funded, so there's no risk involved to you in terms of disappointment because the backing didn't come through, as can happen with Kickstarter projects, and even though you have to wait for her to finish writing the novella, in the meantime you can read and enjoy Omnibus I while you wait.

Personally, I'll confess to never having read a single word of her writing (beyond the Kickstarter description copy) in my life, but I like the terms she's offering her new collection under and she seems to understand that people want and indeed expect to be able to "share" their favourite books with select close friends and openly encourages people to do so in a fully legitimate author-sanctioned manner by providing extra copies as a reward for those who back her upcoming book.

So I went and put in my $10 last weekend, and hopefully I like her actual stories enough to go back and get her stuff in the Baen retrobundles.

Anyway, if you've lasted this long (or just skipped straight to the bottom), linkage to the Kickstarter page for P.N. Elrod's Lunch Time Reading Series Omnibus II. There's 2 more days left through the end of Saturday the 14th and ~300 of the cheapie $10 bundle rewards remaining.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote