Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-09-2011, 06:11 PM   #1
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Location: An enormous, polar bear infested igloo that we call north of the 49.
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Changing book cover via Calibre?

Hey folks,

I've been using the Kobo Touch since it first came out, but can't figure out how to change the book cover for sideloaded epub books. Calibre lets me download book covers from google, amazon, etc. and when I do, the book cover is changed in Calibre, but not in KT when I load it. No matter which cover I use on which epub, KT still shows the original cover that came with the epub when I downloaded it.

Does anyone know how to fix this, or know of a way to change the cover without using Calibre?

Thanks in advance!
kobokobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:35 PM   #2
Canorka
Connoisseur
Canorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch
Do you covert the epub after adding the cover?

It's counterintuitive, but a simple epub to epub conversion will actually perform the cover integration.
Canorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2011, 06:44 PM   #3
rjcroy
Bibliophile
rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kobo Touch
Question

Can Calibre do this for ADE DRM epubs? I am having this problem with book covers of purchased books sideloaded with Adobe Digital Editions.

For example, I have an ebook I purchased for my original Kobo 1 from Whitcoulls. Back then it had a nice cover picture. When I got my Kobo Touch I downloaded the book again from the Whitcoulls site and sideloaded it with ADE, and now the nice cover is gone, replaced with just the text of title and author. How can I put a good cover back onto the book?
rjcroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:07 PM   #4
Canorka
Connoisseur
Canorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcroy View Post
Can Calibre do this for ADE DRM epubs? I am having this problem with book covers of purchased books sideloaded with Adobe Digital Editions.

For example, I have an ebook I purchased for my original Kobo 1 from Whitcoulls. Back then it had a nice cover picture. When I got my Kobo Touch I downloaded the book again from the Whitcoulls site and sideloaded it with ADE, and now the nice cover is gone, replaced with just the text of title and author. How can I put a good cover back onto the book?
To be succinct, DRM=SOL.
Canorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:22 PM   #5
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
you're not SOL because of DRM, it is possible to strip DRM through calibre but you must search on ways to do it.

what you would need to do to change your covers though is to load the book into calibre, then change the cover, then convert the book to epub again so the cover and meta data will stick then load that onto the kobo.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2011, 08:46 PM   #6
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Same thing Canorka said. With some books you have to convert them into E-pub (Even if they already are in E-pub format) after changing the cover.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 03:23 AM   #7
rjcroy
Bibliophile
rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@siraks, @Terminator: Thank you. Yes, this worked for me.

I do wish that it could be done without these kinds of tools though. Would be better if you could do it in ADE, etc.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:48 AM   #8
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcroy View Post
@siraks, @Terminator: Thank you. Yes, this worked for me.

I do wish that it could be done without these kinds of tools though. Would be better if you could do it in ADE, etc.
I have an even better idea. How about the publishers including the cover?
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 05:23 AM   #9
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipippa View Post
Oh WOW!! What an incredible idea!! I can't believe the publishers haven't thought of that!

Oh that's right - they don't care - they have our money and that's all that matters.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 05:28 AM   #10
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Actually this really bugs me now with the Touch. I have 2 books on my home screen without covers and I simply can't tell them apart as they both have the same generic grey book as the cover.
I suppose I should start playing in Calibre again but I much prefer to read. They used to have covers but somehow with all my resets and reloads over the past month the books on the Kobo right now have their covers missing.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:06 AM   #11
rjcroy
Bibliophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipippa View Post
Yeah, exactly!
Old 09-11-2011, 04:46 PM   #12
Nigol
Groupie
Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch
But be careful when doing a epub to epub conversion because calibre can alter the book and style quite a lot. That is why I have updated my tool (ePubFixer) to have an option to modify the cover only (and making it fit nicely without border on the KT).

It is only available from source right now.
Nigol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:48 AM   #13
rjcroy
Bibliophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigol View Post
But be careful when doing a epub to epub conversion because calibre can alter the book and style quite a lot. ....
This is true. But I did manage to tweak the settings on the converter to get it to format the text just as a like it. So in the end I had a better format than the original. And, in addition, the locked margins gets around the cut-off-lines bug to boot!

Still, that tool very useful. Cheers.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:01 PM   #14
thp1017
Connoisseur
thp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kobo, KT, KGlo, H2O, Libra
command line options

With the newer versions of calibre, for sure, you can do this easily via command-line, if you're comfortable with it - all you need to do is:

ebook-meta.exe book.ePub --cover coverImage.jpg

As far as I know this doesn't muck around with any internal formatting. You can use ebook-meta to update any metadata - title, author, series, cover image, etc.

Personally, I love the calibre command line tools, and hate the GUI It is so much easier to type: "ebook-convert mybook.lit .ePub" to convert form a lit to ePub, or between any two formats. Any of the options you see in the GUI are available via command-line, and I actually ended up creating a small script that calls ebook-convert with my favorite options.
thp1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:49 PM   #15
fps
fps is on a distinguished road

I can't get this to work. With the command line way it seems to change the metadata, but the filesize of the epub stays the same and even in Calibre it doesn't show the new cover.
What would I have to do to disable the calibre format changes but still apply the new cover?
fps is offline   Reply With Quote