Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-16-2011, 08:12 PM   #1
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
Forced Factory Resets due to eReader Storage Error - KT

In the past two weeks I have received the following error message three times.

eReader Storage Error

"There appears to be a problem with your eReaders interanl storage. To fix the problem it is recommended that your reset your device to factory defaults ...etc."

I am then left with an option to cancel or do a Factory Reset. I've done the factory reset twice now and my Kobo will operate fine for a day or two and then I will get the message again.

Right now I can close the error window and read books, although reading life will not update. I have a large collection of books so doing another factory reset is not fun, nor do I have any confidence that it will do anything for me long term at this point.

Anybody else experiencing this problem or know of a possible solution?
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:17 PM   #2
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 3 3G, Kobo Touch, Playbook, Kobo Clara HD
Yes same problem with my KT. It has started after I added the custom fonts folder.
Also the books not being deleted from the SD card might be contributing.
It usually happens after a long shut down period. So I disabled auto shut down.

I am still experimenting to pin point the cause if I can.
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2011, 08:19 PM   #3
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Hi FbrII, this malfunction could be caused by improper interaction of the device with your computer. Do you normally eject the device from your computer before unplugging it?
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:27 PM   #4
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hello SameerH,
Since you are reading this Thread, are you aware of books deleted from SD card via KT are actually not being deleted?
Old 07-16-2011, 08:58 PM   #5
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
Hello SameerH,
Since you are reading this Thread, are you aware of books deleted from SD card via KT are actually not being deleted?
Hi Atilla,

Can you describe the issue in more detail? Is it that you are trying to delete books from the SD card, but these books are still showing up on the interface?
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2011, 09:08 PM   #6
Atilla
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
Hi Atilla,

Can you describe the issue in more detail? Is it that you are trying to delete books from the SD card, but these books are still showing up on the interface?
I delete the books in the SD card via Kobo Touch. And they no longer show in the books list but the actual epub files are not being deleted. I can see them when I connect KT to my computer. And according to another user here, the books simply come back after power cycle. In this thread.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=143066

All the best
Old 07-16-2011, 09:34 PM   #7
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes same problem with my KT. It has started after I added the custom fonts folder.
Also the books not being deleted from the SD card might be contributing.
It usually happens after a long shut down period. So I disabled auto shut down.
I don't believe any of this has anything to do with my problem. I have neither a custom fonts folder or a SD card installed. Last time I experienced the problem the Kobo had only been down about twenty minutes. However, the previous two times it occured was after overnight shut downs.

Quote:
Do you normally eject the device from your computer before unplugging it?
I do, but I know I have a problem with calibre where calibre will report all jobs have been completed. However, when I then quite calibre and unmounted the Kobo I sometimes get a warning message stating that the data transfer hasn't completed. I then hit the cancel button, but I've noticed more than once after cancelling the operation the unmount volume option is now replaced with a mount volume option, which would indicate the unmount action had already completed. So, that could be the source of the problem?

I will try to wait longer after closing out of calibre and see if the problem occurs again.

Thanks for the suggestion

Last edited by fbrII; 07-16-2011 at 09:38 PM. Reason: clarify message - see underline
Old 07-17-2011, 12:24 AM   #8
JBlyth
Connoisseur
JBlyth doesn't litterJBlyth doesn't litter

Device: Kobo, Kobo Touch, Ipaq 214, HTC WildFire Android
I have discovered in the last 24 hours that my KT troubles were caused by Calibre not seeming to disconnect the KT properly when using the "Device Eject" menu item in Calibre itself.

Other users haven't reported this problem, but in my case with my WIN7 laptop, Calibre makes the USB icon disappear from the Task Tray, but I don't get the "disconnect" sound until I put the USB out of the KT.

I too was getting database corruptions and books not being "Processed". So now I use the Task Tray icon to disconnect in the "Window" way, and I haven't had any problems since.

It might be worth a try with your system
JBlyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 01:07 AM   #9
JBlyth
Connoisseur
JBlyth doesn't litterJBlyth doesn't litter

Device: Kobo, Kobo Touch, Ipaq 214, HTC WildFire Android
Just to add a little more.....

I can confirm that in my case at least, Calibre OR my particular laptop does not remove the KT properly from the WIN7 system, and this most certainly causes database corruptions.....

I see in my laptop's device manager that the USB mass storage device has a Warning exclamation mark next to it immediately after Calibre has "removed" it.
JBlyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:25 AM   #10
fbrII
F. BluDevil

JBlyth

Thanks for the additional information, I use Linux on my desktop but like you I'm pretty sure the problem is related to calibre. I will post a description of the problem on the calibre forum and see what kind of response I receive.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:05 PM   #11
tea2
Zealot
tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd ed, Kindle 2, iPad Mini 4, Aura One.
I don't use Calibre and I'm getting this problem. I'm using Adobe Digital Editions and the desktop software.
tea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 01:33 PM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
One thing to check is that you DON'T have a command prompt open with the current directory being on the Kobo.

An Explorer window seems fine; at least mine closed when I did the Calibre eject; however, if I had a command prompt open Windows did not disconnect the device.

Also; I only get the Windows beep on device removal when I actually unplug the device. It was however been removed from Windows when the Calibre Device Eject was performed.

Last edited by PeterT; 07-17-2011 at 01:41 PM.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 01:51 PM   #13
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tea2 View Post
I don't use Calibre and I'm getting this problem. I'm using Adobe Digital Editions and the desktop software.
A common cause for getting the "eReader Storage Error" is an improper disconnect from the computer. When using Adobe Digital Editions, before you disconnect you must click the Safely Remove Hardware icon in the taskbar. If you disconnect the ereader without using the Safely Remove Hardware feature, you run the risk of damaging your files.

Last edited by Joe563; 07-17-2011 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Clarification
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 01:59 PM   #14
tea2
Zealot
tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd ed, Kindle 2, iPad Mini 4, Aura One.
I use the eject button on the Kobo software. It's been happening only after the new software update.

Edit: I'll try and remove using the safely remove hardware only and see what happens.

I seem to remember that there was an eject issue with Windows 7 and Kindle and
that you had to eject it from "My Computer" and *not* the taskbar for it to recognize
the eject.

Last edited by tea2; 07-17-2011 at 02:20 PM.
tea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 04:43 PM   #15
fbrII
F. BluDevil

I notice others are having this problem as well. There is another recent post where two other people are also complaining about this same problem.

I was not aware of the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon on ADE, so I have been guilty of not using it. I use ADE for DRM protected books, so I will keep that in mind when using ADE and see if that ends the problem.