Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-31-2010, 01:37 AM   #1
omgnookftw
omgnookftw began at the beginning.

Device: none
Exclamation Kindling While Driving

Kindling while driving -- Good or Bad? You decide.

Sorry, I couldn't get the embedded video to work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR1iUmq6ilA

Reply and tell me what you think.

Last edited by omgnookftw; 10-31-2010 at 01:41 AM.
omgnookftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 01:43 AM   #2
Seanette
Addict
Seanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-books

Device: Samsung Galaxy s3 (Android 4.4.2), iPad 2, Win10 laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgnookftw View Post
Kindling while driving -- Good or Bad? You decide.

Sorry, I couldn't get the embedded video to work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR1iUmq6ilA

Reply and tell me what you think.
IMO, reading (in any form) while driving is stupid bordering on (should be) criminal negligence. If you (generic you, not the OP) are driving, you need to be paying attention to that, since a lapse of attention on your part could easily injure or kill someone.
Seanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 02:19 AM   #3
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
ummm...it's against the law in pretty much every state...
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 04:07 AM   #4
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Good? If anyone thinks this is a good thing, I believe they must go and see a shrink. Even an audiobook might be dangerous.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 04:57 AM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I listen to audiobooks in the car all of the time because I live in traffic (L.A.). Talking on the phone (even hands free) is more dangerous than an audiobook.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 05:02 AM   #6
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Too many people think they can multitask while driving, IMO.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 05:04 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I find that, especially on long journeys, listening to audiobooks helps to maintain my concentration while driving. I have about a 40 minute journey each way to and from work, and listening to audiobooks helps to usefully fill what would otherwise be a wasted hour and a half every day. I have an iPod interface in my car which plays the iPod through the car's speakers.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 05:40 AM   #8
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I have to say this: It's called reading, not kindling
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 06:37 AM   #9
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer
Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 International, Pocketbook Color
That I.D.I.O.T should be happy I did not see him. I would definately *NOT* film him and laugh. I would do my best to have him run into the ditch
It is *NOT* funny at all. I lost my grandfather way too soon by an asshole who scooped him off the sidewalk while reading the newspaper and driving.
Bikeridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 07:19 AM   #10
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by GERGE View Post
Good? If anyone thinks this is a good thing, I believe they must go and see a shrink. Even an audiobook might be dangerous.
ever talked to a passenger in your vehicle?

Of course given how people drive in Turkey, would it really matter if they were reading anyway?
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 07:23 AM   #11
Iridal
Mysteriarch
Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, Kindle 3
*shudder*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeridr View Post
That I.D.I.O.T should be happy I did not see him. I would definately *NOT* film him and laugh. I would do my best to have him run into the ditch
I wouldn't laugh either, but try to get his attention, make him pull over and throw all my traffic safety knowledge at him to make him understand how dangerous that is. Seriously, reading and making a phone call at the same time ?? Making a phone call whilst driving is as dangerous as driving with a blood alcohol level of 0.8. Combine that with reading a book ...

What an idiot. Not only is he putting himself in danger, but other drivers as well. This literally makes me sick.

Well, at least videos like this make me realize I chose the right job ...

Last edited by Iridal; 10-31-2010 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Typo
Iridal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 07:47 AM   #12
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Wow, that's a bit crazy, I have a hard enough time texting and eating at the same time while driving...I don't know if I could throw in reading a novel as well!
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:15 AM   #13
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I don't need a video. That's beyond dangerous and well in to @#$@ stupid.

I disagree with the people who say that anything except staring directly at the road is a bad idea, for the simple reason that a driver who does nothing but stare directly at the road will turn into a zombie who can't drive either. (And what's with billboards, whose whole PURPOSE is to distract drivers?) The people who say that there should be no inputs of any kind, from radios to passengers, are wrong. There needs to be some balance. But the driver's top priority has to be driving, can only be driving, and reading (on a Kindle or otherwise), putting on makeup, texting, checking paper maps, or God only knows what else, is not balance; it's stupid.

That said, I think some of the people who decide how other people should drive are mind-blowingly stupid. For example, the ones who define "aggressive driving" as traveling above the posted speed limits. Back when I drove hundreds of miles every night (commercially), I doubt if anyone drove the speed limit; most people's company schedules simply wouldn't let them. But you take, say, a truck convoy traveling 15 mph faster than what was posted (amusingly enough, now the speed limit!) and they were probably the least aggressive people you could meet out there ... relaxed, mellow, talking on the CB occasionally ... anything but "aggressive drivers". But you can't measure things like sudden lane changes with a radar gun, and nobody just hands you money for it, so traveling faster than the posted speed limits is "aggressive driving" and the guy who just cut you off, almost taking the front end off your car, and then slammed on his breaks in order to not hit that other car, is scot-free.

They look at accidents and say that because X% involve people texting, or just on their bloody phones, that -- and yes, I've seen this -- nobody should listen to their car radios. I've seen recommendations for a ban on car radios. Because if a major distraction is bad, apparently, there should be nothing whatsoever for the driver's thoughts to turn except for the road. I have to wonder if any of these people have ever driven more than five miles to the store ... heck, whether they've ever driven a car. I have some good material for comparison: driving at night (would they ban that too?) with and without audio. I can tell you from considerable personal experience, if you're driving at night down an empty highway (what they consider "safe", except the night thing of course, but I'm nocturnal anyway), it can be a fight to stay focused if there's nothing but you and the road. Add something on the radio (I have a personal preference for old time radio) and your brain stays alert and doesn't start to hum.

And then you get the people who can't put their cell phone down long enough to get out of the Wal-Mart parking lot. They're teenagers who can't drive to begin with; it takes practice they haven't had yet. Or they're soccer moms with three screaming kids; kids who are probably feeling neglected because Mom hasn't put down that phone since before they left the house. Nothing, to them, is a higher priority than their phone -- not shopping in Wal-Mart, not checking out, and not not backing over me when I'm in a bright red car leaning on my horn. Yes, I've had someone back into me under those circumstances, when I was trapped between two other cars fore and aft and couldn't go anywhere. Well ... I doubt if those people are going to be the ones with the Kindles for the simple reason that I doubt if they're likely to be able to read.

Something else I wish cars designers would do: make it possible to set the temperature without looking at the heater. They need their row of identical buttons because it "looks better"; we need odd shapes or bumps or something (or even the old sliders) because we can know where it is by feel, without having to look. I wonder how much distraction is caused by trying to get that thing to not incinerate your feet?

The human ear is an omnidirectional device. It can listen to things from all directions at once, and it can pay attention to any or all of those things, prioritizing as necessary. The human eye is a monodirectional device. It can only focus on one thing. And if that's freaking Kindle, it isn't the road. And let's not even get into the uses of the human hand. Sure, you need to take one off the wheel every so often (if you don't, the cramps will be more of a distraction, as I'm reminded every time I go to Philadelphia), but to stretch, move around, push a button, maybe even drink a swig of soda, not hold a freaking cell phone to your face. No Kindles. No texts. No stupid.

Oh, and Manichean is right: the word is "reading"; the word "kindling" indicates starting a fire or, if you're a rabbit, giving birth. Neither one is recommended in a moving car either.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:36 AM   #14
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
A rabbit giving birth while driving a car might cause some comment, though.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:16 AM   #15
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Here in Oregon, a bus driver was turned in by one of his passengers for reading his Kindle while driving a busload of people! He was fired, of course. Dangerous and stupid. But I've been guilty of trying to read brief text messages while driving. Also dangerous and stupid. Digital communication is addictive and has its downsides.
L.J.
L.J. Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drive, driving